The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 AM

Default I write to many "dark" songs...

...an suggestions on how to get into a "happier" state of mind when writing lyrics. I want to parlay success with gloom over the the ligher side for awhile and see how that works out. My big fear is the songs sounding corny or sugary. Any thoughts? Thank you, keep the faith!

A sample of my usual type of lyrics would be:

"Underneath Orion's eye
Heaving breath turned muffled sigh
While brother spies attentive
Through the gloaming unto moonshade's fire"

Kind of wordy, hard, etc...but I get good responses from these kind of tunes. I think I have this feel down. Now I need some light, fun stuff.

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty

Last edited by ForcesUndivided; 04-29-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 AM

I don't think you can "get" into a happier state of mind for the purpose of writing lyrics, or the output will be exactly what you want to avoid.

why not just wait until you are in a happy state of mind, then sit down and write about it?

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Miserable didn't do Richard Thompson any harm
Stick with it!
Keith
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 AM

How about throw a capo high up on the guitar? Play somethin a little faster, less complicated. The best part about the 'less serious' stuff is that you can really let go and just write whatever you're feeling. (Not that you don't already, but you know what I mean)

I'm the opposite, any song that starts out a little melancholy ends up being happy in the end haha. Oh well, I like em to be hopeful anyways.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
...an suggestions on how to get into a "happier" state of mind when writing lyrics. I want to parlay success with gloom over the the ligher side for awhile and see how that works out. My big fear is the songs sounding corny or sugary. Any thoughts? Thank you, keep the faith!

A sample of my usual type of lyrics would be:

"Underneath Orion's eye
Heaving breath turned muffled sigh
While brother spies attentive
Through the gloaming unto moon shades fire"

Kind of wordy, hard, etc...but I get good responses from these kind of tunes. I think I have this feel down. Now I need some light, fun stuff.
i can't write anything happy either. sounds way to mushy when i try. but you might want to try writing something humorous. it will be perceived as happy and you can play a simple, uptempo 1-4-5 (or something similar) behind it. there's a song i wrote on my site (see link below) called "waffles without bacon" that is a good example of this. people seem to really like it because its a sing-a-long type of thing. that's the only way i can do "happy".

best of luck with your efforts,

bill

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell