The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Default Writing a song

This is a question that I have as I am getting interested in writing some original stuff. What is the process/method that you guys go through when creating something new? A simple question for me is where to start. Should I start with the lyrics or the music? I just wanted to see how the people in AGF went about it. Thanks for your help guys/gals.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Dlim, this is the million dollar question that has no answer! I have read dozens of interviews with successful songwriters and each one says the same thing! Sometimes it starts with lyrics, sometimes it starts with a tune, and sometimes the lyrics and tune come at the same time. Sometimes a song is written n 15 minutes, some songs may take 15 years!

One thing that I have learned (and I have not written a million-dollar song, so evidently I haven't learned well enough yet) is that writing a song takes a lot of work. It may start with a one liner, maybe the hook, but you must keep working it until it is right. Work at adjusting lyrics, melody, and arrangement until everything fits like a glove. If you try to force lyrics into a prefixed tempo that isn't right for the rhythm of the words, it will sound like crap!

Just like learning to play an instrument, the more you practice songwriting, the better your songs will be!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:51 PM

I usually come up with a melody in my head then I'll grab my guitar and begin fleshing that out, and from there I'll make more 'complimentary' passages that go along with what I've first written, then try to fit each 'piece' (verse/bridge/chorus) together until I have a relatively seamless song.. and from there I'll just play it a few times each day, coming up with alterations, variants, etc... I've found the more I play my songs, the more my ears adjust to how it should sound and I naturally, over time, work out the kinks, removing the odd notes and the certain parts that don't work and replacing them with notes that do work..

My biggest problem is learning when to stop. Sometime when you work on a song too much it can become overcomplicated and more enjoyable to play than it is to listen to.

As for lyrics, I've found its best to write those after the song is written, because then you have the mood of the song down and the lyrics can shade in the other parts. Writing lyrics first then trying to sculpt a song around it has been really hit-or-miss from my experience.

My method works for me, ymmv
Old 04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
"Big Daddy"

Smile My two cents...

These members are making some excellent points.

I am usually able to come up with the music pretty easily.
The ideas may start out with a familiar melody, and then you change the key, maybe go from a major to minor mode, speed it up, slow it down, or even try dropping in a few different progressions. For me, the music pretty much takes it's own path.

The lyrics can be a bit more difficult for me to come up with.
Whenever I hear or think of a unique phrase, or a different use of words in a sentence, these are all fertile ideas to becoming a song. I make sure I write everything down... no matter how simple the idea may initially be. When I get enough words and phrases together that I can create a verse or two, I bounce my ideas off of my wife, friends, or other musicians.

You would be amazed at how a song can change directions by using these types of resources to get input on your ideas. You also have to be pretty "tough skinned". Some of my circle of acquaintances may make statements like, ("Don't give up my day job", "Is there supposed to be some meaning in that?" or my favorite one is "Were you drunk when you wrote that?")

All of these valuable pieces of input just mean that I have a little more work to do. It's all about the love of creating the song.
Sometimes, you may be the only one that likes it. The best part of this effort is the journey.
Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Some tools

I agree. You can start with lyrics, a phrase, the chorus, an interesting chord pattern, all of the above, or none of the above. I agree. I also think you need to develop a method and tools to cultivate your craft... I recommend getting a notebook *just* for songwriting. Write down new ideas, chords, lyric parts on a page. Then leave the next few pages blank before you enter the next idea. That way if like in a month you get a great idea for a bridge, you can go back to the page(s) where the original idea is fleshing out and have room to add the new info...Just how it works for me.

Sticky notes are also helpful for when you get an idea at work or wherever...

Another tool that has become very useful: a Digital recorder. The one I have (canon, I think) has index numbering for each entry. On the page that you are writing down words and chord sequences (see "notebook," above), also write down the index number you recorded your song piece on. That way in 2 months when you go back to your notebook, you can easily *hear* what it's supposed to sound like.--very important.

These are tools I've found useful.

g'luck !
JBL EON One Compact
Too many harmonicas!

"I never met a guitar I didn't like..."
Old 04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I just write instrumentals and to tell you the truth the music comes seemingly out of nowhere. A random note is all it takes most of the time to inspire a song.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Lyrical phrases, especially if they are hooks, are what inspire me. The rhythm and cadence of the words and even the pitch of the vowels suggest a melody; the chorus usually comes from that phrase although occasionally I start with the first line of the first verse. The first verse comes next, and once I have the lyrics for that I note the cadence and rhyme scheme as a template for the other verses. Oddly enough, my best songs seem almost to write themselves--everything flows together; though sometimes I may tweak them for months or even years afterward. The hardest thing for me is to write to spec or assignment. ("Write a song about....").

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell