The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I'm sure he will go far with a classy attitude like that.
Seems like many popular artists nowadays have attitudes like that, disregard for your fans is popular. :/
Old 02-20-2017, 04:50 PM

I am also sure that he was not aware that I am on the board of a very large local charity. The same charity that hired his band to play for our event last year.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I don't disagree w/ the general assessment of the dude's personality but, since I'm professional musician here's my two cents,.... there's always the guy who wants to talk gear on a break. Don't be that guy.

Before you can remember his name, he's telling you about the Les Paul his parents bought him when he was 16, or the D-18 or his current stash of Paul Reed Smiths or his vintage amp collection,.. he's impossible to shake and then half the break is gone.

Since I build my electric guitars and work with a high end boutique amp builder, I have plenty to offer but I'm here to play. Gear is what you work on/talk about when you're not playing,.. I'm nice as I can be, smile and agree if there's ever a pause,..
Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I didn't mention it to the guy, but I'm a casual guy that plays gigs and gets paid to pay live. I also have a nicer guitar than he does (and a couple of cheap ones, too).
FWIW I know a lot of "professional" guitarists and none of them have only one guitar. That in itself is a ridiculous claim. Most of them have good quality guitars that are not necessarily blingy or prestigious -- but good quality instruments nonetheless.

For the rest, I'm impressed by a musician's skills, good taste and love for music. Their status or what gear they play is irrelevant.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

So I guess it's like back in the 70's if he breaks a string; stop the show, restring, tune, ok here we go again!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
there's always the guy who wants to talk gear on a break. Don't be that guy.
Agree with that as well.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
there's always the guy who wants to talk gear on a break. Don't be that guy.
That seems kind of odd. I've done plenty of paid gigs and have never seen gear questions as being harassing. We're all grown folks and can be brief, walk off stage or behind an amp if needed. I don't see any reason that fans should choose to mute themselves. After all, the musician is at work and should conduct himself that way. Being brief is fine. It's not like you're knocking on his door at home.

Last edited by Bowie; 02-20-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: auto-correct error.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I have met such attitudes.

Those who seek to make a living by playng gigs often resent those of us who play for little/nothing,or pay to play.

The open mic scenario is their enemy as were discos.

I can understand their attitude.

They are often, understandably earning little and so their equipment is as important to them as a plumber's or electrician's tools, and regarded in much the same way - i.e. tools, rather than the items of desire, beauty and wonder that some of us have/own/play/display.

What is our passion/hobby etc., is their bread and butter, and the less butter, the more bitter ...I suppose.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
...The truly talented guys and top players are usually very generous and have better things to worry about than stroking their ego by dissing other people...
A number of years ago my wife and I went to see the Down-east Maine trio Schooner Fare in Paramus, NJ; for those of you who aren't familiar they've been a fixture on the Northeast Corridor folk circuit for four decades, played Wolf Trap on numerous occasions, shared bills with many top-name performers (Tommy Makem, Tom Paxton, Christine Lavin, among others), and had a couple of chart-topping recordings in Ireland...

After the show I got to talking with the bass player and banjo player - told them I was a fellow musician...

Picked up a new 4-string tuning and a couple hints to smooth out my bass tone and keep from overloading the amp input - and they were more than happy to share...

Classy guys - and if we weren't already lifetime fans they would have made two on the spot...
Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM

Apparently his deal was I got this one guitar and it's all I need because I'm good.
That's fine dude with the inferiority complex.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

At their peak during Joe Walsh's tenure around 1970, the James Gang decided to go into a little Cleveland studio and record with Little Richard. Joe has included that track on his latest album. Before they start, Richard says, "The Great James Gang. Boys, don't forget where you got your start at, fellas. 'Cause the same people you meet on the way up, you'll meet 'em on the way down." They all laughed, but Joe put the recording of Richard's little speech on his album, Analog Man, forty-two years later.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
At their peak during Joe Walsh's tenure around 1970, the James Gang decided to go into a little Cleveland studio and record with Little Richard. Joe has included that track on his latest album. Before they start, Richard says, "The Great James Gang. Boys, don't forget where you got your start at, fellas. 'Cause the same people you meet on the way up, you'll meet 'em on the way down." They all laughed, but Joe put the recording of Richard's little speech on his album, Analog Man, forty-two years later.

Bob
THAT is awesome.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Yup...

Neil Young sitting alone on stage with his stash of Martins circled around him.

Eric Clapton and his warehouse of guitars which periodically fund Crossroads.

Joe Bonamessa and his picture of countless guitars.

Sorry, bud, I didn't get to be a "working musician" because I'm too busy with my day job. You know, the one that pays me more per month than you make in a year.

I've paid sales tax on a single guitar that's more than your "expensive" guitar. Multiple times.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I'm sure he will go far with a classy attitude like that.

I have met musicians that even treat their own bandmates that way, at least for a few weeks. Hopefully he'll play a biker joint one day and speak to someone like that.
I have been in a band with that guy. A former drummer of mine had a bad attitude and an even worse temper. He could have everyone knocking down his doors with the drummer shortage. Instead, they stay away.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM
BanGuest23456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I was at an event with a live band recently, they sounded really good. Acoustic guitar, bass, drums, and an electric guitarist/fiddle player.

During one of the breaks, I saw the acoustic guitarist and said, "You've got a great acoustic tone, are you using anything special?"

He said, "Yeah--I'm using a chorus pedal. That and I'm using an expensive guitar. It's a $1,500 guitar instead of the $300 guitars I used to use. I'm a professional working musician, and professional working musicians only have one guitar, not like all those guys who have a room full of guitars and never play any gigs."

He looks and me and says, "You've probably got five guitars at home, don't you?"

"Well, just four actually..."

"That's what I figured" he added as he walked off.

Nice meeting you, too.
I learned a long time ago that when someone reacts like that - you're not the one they are angry with; they could have had a terrible day, heard bad news, whatever the case is - they are just venting on you. Don't take it personally, and life is too short to waste on it.

Besides, if this person is really like that all the time, their professional career will not be very long. There's no way a person that much of an idiot could last in a social industry like music performance.

Next time laugh in his face and tell him John Mayer's got over 300 guitars, and he's no John Mayer.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion