The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-27-2022, 12:37 AM
Runaway Tomato

Default Talk me Out of the Kremona Verea

I'm looking for a decent crossover to do some fingerpicking on. It will be a stage instrument. I own a 1978 CY130 Yairi Classical, called the Conquistador, but would like to play something with a 48mm nut width instead of the Yairi's 2.1". The Kremona Verea looks really tasty - cedar top, good electronics, excellent reviews everywhere. YooToob vids of the Verea seem to show excellent balance and note separation with some goodly sustain, but vids can be deceiving. There happens to be one sitting quietly walking distance from my house at my local GC - I'll play it on for size this Friday methinks.

Before I actually play the little critter Friday, does anyone have experience with this guitar? This is your chance to tell me I'm crazy -- TIA
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-27-2022, 06:46 AM

Not gonna talk you out of it, but your in-hand time will give you the true answer. I picked one up last year as my first nylon-stringer, so my experience in the class is thin, but I've been quite pleased at what it added to my pallet.

a few notes:

- The neck profile is oddly asymmetrical. I think that is intentional, though. I've seen no comments about it online. There is more meat behind the bass side, and I've felt this on another Kremona guitar recently.

- I've seen some references to the radius of the fretboard and can say that mine is dead flat. I wrote to the company and they confirmed that is the official spec, so some ads out there are likely in error.

- I finally tried a Cordoba GK Negra this past month and am glad that I have the Kremona - mainly for the deeper body since I play acoustically the majority of the time. On-stage may be a different matter...

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 01-27-2022, 09:16 AM

Your fingers and ears will do the talking one way or another when you play it. I had a Kremona Fiesta for a while and liked it when I had it.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:35 AM
Runaway Tomato

Thanks for your responses. There's also a Cordoba Fusion hanging on the wall at the GC, so I'll play that one also.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-28-2022, 03:41 PM
Runaway Tomato

Update: I played the Kremona Verea and the Cordoba Fusion at GC and my response was "meh". They're fine instruments with sweet tones - the Kremona was slightly better because it had more clarity, although the Fusion had a better bass. But in the end neither one really rang my bell. And, thinking about it, my 1978 Yairi would really make any new Nylon string guitar redundant anyway. So, I passed.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-28-2022, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Mark, you know we don't talk you out of things; we talk you into them! One of my buddies just gave up on steel and bought a Cordoba... loves it!
Old 01-29-2022, 12:09 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Mark, you know we don't talk you out of things; we talk you into them! One of my buddies just gave up on steel and bought a Cordoba... loves it!
Clicks "Like" --
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical