The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2022, 08:33 PM

What actually is the issue with superglue? The only complaint I have heard is that it can impact the installation of the Amulet as the glue can seep into the wood a bit, but honestly, I feel like more testing needs to be done on this. If you never put an Amulet in though then the superglue is super easy to remove. Literally any luthier can do it and you would never know it was there.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
What actually is the issue with superglue? The only complaint I have heard is that it can impact the installation of the Amulet as the glue can seep into the wood a bit, but honestly, I feel like more testing needs to be done on this. If you never put an Amulet in though then the superglue is super easy to remove. Literally any luthier can do it and you would never know it was there.
The "issue" is some owners are never going to be happy with the idea that there will be a permanent remnant to a installation in the form of the three small areas where the transducers were removed. The CA will permanently "seal" those areas of the bridge plate. Short of bridge plate replacement there's nothing that will reverse that.

Does it matter? That's up to each owner.

To be concerned about something that's basically invisible and doesn't effect the sound of the instrument in any discernible way seems a bit too too much for me, but everyone has to come to their own level of comfort with this.

I'm a big K&K Pure Mini lover, so I'm a bit prejudiced about using them. They are economically priced, fairly easy to install, forget about changing batteries or any fuss about maintenance, there when you need them, and difficult for the casual observer to even tell there's a pickup installed. They sound good in most guitars, but some instruments are constructed in a manner that might not highlight their full potential.

The larger issue is the need to drill out for the end pin jack, and that's not always even necessary. I just did an install last week on a Larrivee L-03 and the end pin is designed to be removable and is pre-drilled with a 1/2" hole to install the full size jack. If the owner ever wants to return the guitar to its original configuration it's an easy matter to remove the jack and then reinstalling the original end pin.

For those minor points of "modification" I'll gladly trade for the convenience and good tone provided by a Pure Mini installation.

Anyone who takes issue with the bridge plate spots should simply look for something else. For me it's no big deal, it's just a guitar.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I feel if you're going to install a K&K, Dazzo, or a Trance system by using my new epoxy method, leave the dang things in there if they sound good and they will unless the installation is botched by a ham-handed installer!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-24-2022, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I just acquired a very minty 1972 Alvarez Yairi 5080 OM size acoustic. Its a great guitar, not a single scratch or ding on it, and sounds like a 50 year old guitar should. What are the best options for a non intrusive, non permanent pickup that I could use. I don't want anything glued on or in it, and I dont want to drill out the endpin for a jack. I want to retain the acoustic tone, so soundhole mag pickups are out. What does that leave me with?
Does it have an end-pin now? if so, you can use the Vintage Jack, which is removable and doesn't require a larger hole. The least invasive pickups are going to be SBTs that attach with double-sticky tape. Trance, iBeam, probably a few others. Gryphon even installs Dazzo's with tape. They'll come off with no visible sign whatsoever, even if someone's looking inside with a mirror. Glue can also be removed just as invisibly.

Your best bet overall, if you want zero modifications, is to just play with a mic in front of you, or play unamplified. I'd note that if your goal is to guarantee no damage to the guitar, the only really safe bet is to leave it in the case (and even that has risks). Even playing in front of a mic, you may bump the mic and leave a ding. Permanently installed pickups are, ironically, often the least invasive in the long run, in the sense that you're not jurying-rigging something that may cause a problem. A UST or SBT inside the guitar, guitar jack in the expected place, and things are virtually invisible and about as "safe" as you can get. The biggest risk is taking the guitar to gigs in the first place. For those guitars I simply can't imagine drilling an end-pin jack in, well, those just stay home. Oddly, every guitar of mine that's incurred any noticeable damage, the problem happened at home, so there's that, too :-)
Old 09-24-2022, 05:35 PM

I’m a big fan of K&K’s and have them installed in all of my acoustic guitars.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:35 PM

I get not wanting to glue anything in. But why not drill out the end pin? It will open up 100 options for you.🤔
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 09-24-2022, 09:35 PM

I'd drill out that endpin ... I just got 2 drill bits a 1/4 inch and 1/8 to 1/2 stepped bit . I'd just put a k&k in it and be done with it . It's NOT gonna de value or kill the tone of the guitar . It's not a authentic prewar guitar .
Old 09-24-2022, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Aaron has a nice review of the Cling On Pickup here:
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-24-2022, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Aaron has a nice review of the Cling On Pickup here:
There's also the iSolo pickup which attaches to the guitar thru basically static cling and transmits wirelessly. It's essentially a mic, but it seems to work pretty well. I reviewed it some years ago, but it doesn't look like I did a video for it:

https://acousticguitar.com/gear-revi...obility-video/
Old 09-25-2022, 06:23 AM

The endpin is a screwed in pin, not a standard tapered pin. I guess for now I'll just leave it as is. It may not be 'a vintage pre war guitar', but it is a very clean example of the early Yairi guitars. Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-25-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
There's also the iSolo pickup which attaches to the guitar thru basically static cling and transmits wirelessly. It's essentially a mic, but it seems to work pretty well. I reviewed it some years ago, but it doesn't look like I did a video for it:

https://acousticguitar.com/gear-revi...obility-video/
I love the iSolo but both versions suffered interference and drop-outs for me. It was a real shame because it’s an ideal solution for one off gigs and vintage instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification