The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 - Need help.

Hi

I am looking to buy an OM-18 Authentic VTS. I want a more versatile OM format. I like all of its aspects, the V neck, etc. Unfortunately, I cannot try it because this model is out of stock and it is rather rare in my area. So I should buy it blind. All the videos I have seen sound quite different and it is difficult to get a clear idea. I read everything that could relate to it too. But I still can't get a clear idea.

I would like to know, if you have this model, if the sound is still warm and the bass is sufficiently present. I know it doesn't sound like a standard 000-18. But more specifically, I wouldn't want the sound to be in the same range as my other two guitars: a Waterloo WL-14L Ladder brace and a Waterloo Jumbo with Rosewood back and sides. These are two guitars that are very dry and woody. I am thinking of selling them.

I'm looking for a more mellow and warm sound than my two Waterloo. I wonder if the OM-18 still has the Martin "sound".

I would appreciate more recent opinions.

Thank you in advance for your answers and your help.
The Loar LH-700 VS
Old 05-07-2021, 12:24 PM

I bought one just over a year ago. I don't think you will be disappointed in the sound. It was one of the best sounding and most responsive guitars I've ever played, which includes some pretty high end ones. While it won't sound like a dreadnought, I did not find it lacking in warmth or bass at all. The only reason I sold it is that I couldn't handle the neck. I've never played a Waterloo, so I can't compare them.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

It's not a huge neck, but not thin. Not sure I'd describe it as "versatile" by OM standards, but it's got a really warm, old, responsive sound for sure. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I bought one over a year and a half ago, a used pre VTS 2012 model that I found online, languishing in a GC in Plano Texas. I was looking for one because I'm a fan of Rainer Brunn, a German blues/rag fingerpicker that has a bunch of Utube videos out in which he plays a great sounding VTS model. I'm not familiar with Waterloo guitars so I can't make that comparison but I do find mine to have a warm tone, great for finger picking but also quite loud with a distinct Martin tone when flatpicked. I'm happy with mine and now my gas has virtually disappeared - I haven't bought anything since which says a lot.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 05-07-2021, 02:59 PM

https://umgf.com/om-18a-authentic-club-t150933.html
Old 05-07-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I don't have an Authentic but I have a Custom Shop OM-18 Special and it has the Martin tone in spades. No one would confuse it with a Waterloo. I got it used at GC and at first I thought it was an 000-18 but it was like the best one they ever made. It's got a lot of presence and a lot of punch. This is the guitar I take if I'll be playing with a large group and I want to be heard. It projects and cuts though like no other, not even a dread.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone. I bought one... Couldn't resist the offer someone gave me.
Will see with tone and sound.
Martin
The Loar LH-700 VS
Old 05-07-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I bought one just over a year ago. I don't think you will be disappointed in the sound. It was one of the best sounding and most responsive guitars I've ever played, which includes some pretty high end ones. While it won't sound like a dreadnought, I did not find it lacking in warmth or bass at all. The only reason I sold it is that I couldn't handle the neck.
I had the same experience as DaveG. Great sounding guitar but I couldn’t handle the neck. It hurt my wrist if I played it too long.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion