The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-09-2021, 03:30 AM

Default Re-finishing a guitar top.

I bought a used Taylor 814-CE at a great price - because - the previous owner, in the belief that it would improve the sound, thinned the top coating with emery paper. He went at it in the most haphazard way, scraping in all directions and to different depths. It looks a right mess, but, it does sound really good. I'm tempted to have it re-coated (expensive) because I hate looking at it, but, maybe he was onto something?
Old 06-09-2021, 03:55 AM

While any finish applied poorly can be a detriment to tone, an expertly applied finish will generally affect the tone to a small enough degree that you might not notice the change.

However, your woodwork-challenged former owner sanded against the grain. The only way I know to remove those scratches is more sanding with the grain, which will inevitably reduce the already thinned top dimension. How much, and will it matter? I have no idea.

In your shoes, I'd take the guitar to a repair person - preferably a luthier who also does repairs - and see what they think.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-09-2021, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Taylor's repair shop does amazing work. They would make that guitar look like brand-new.

I would start with them.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:28 AM

Taylor's finishes are already thin to begin with. I agree with having Taylor refinish the body.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:10 AM

He's "on to something" if it's a cheap guitar with a ridiculously thick finish but the 814 is finished properly. To really change the tone of the 814 you would have to actually thin the top wood. But I would not recommend that. Save your penny's and get it refinished and you will have a great guitar for life. If he has not sanded to wood then it's possible you could just have it buffed out. Take it to a luthier.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:28 AM

I am constantly amazed at how many different ways people can take a really nice guitar and screw it up!

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 06-09-2021, 10:32 AM

From your description it sounds as though the scratches go deep into the wood. If that’s the case refinishing the top won’t help unless you opt for a dark sunburst.

Personally, I doubt you’ll be able to get your rescue guitar where you want it, so I recommend leaving it alone.

whm
Old 06-09-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andling View Post
thinned the top coating with emery paper. He went at it in the most haphazard way, scraping in all directions and to different depths.
Has the top wood been sanded or just the finish?

Attach photos if you want applicable recommendations.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:14 AM

The sanding, as far as I can tell, never actually reached the wood. I've tried an abrasive polish, with the grain, to no effect. I had one, sight unseen, estimate of $1200 to redo the top.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Realize that the neck and bridge will have to be removed in order to properly refinish the top.

Is it possible to refinish with the neck and bridge on?

It is possible but not the proper way to do it. It's possible that the top can be leveled and finished over the factory finish IF the previous owner did not sand through the finish to the the wood top.

Lots of variables to consider without actually seeing the damage.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:58 PM

IF it looks terrible already then there is no harm in you trying yourself to at least make it look better. Go online and order this stuff: https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ng-papers.html

Get all the grits. Then sand through all those papers. But be very careful at the 600 and 800 level. You DON'T want to go through to the wood.

Then buy this stuff: https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ouch-pads.html

Go through all those and it will look much better then it does now, assuming it's pretty terrible now.

Again, if you can't stand it and think you are going to get it refinished anyway then you don't have much to lose. It will be tricky getting around the bridge and FB extension and you will definitely not make it perfect but you might get it to a point where you can live with it and it won't cost you a whole lot of money. IT will take a lot of elbow grease for sure, like a real lot.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:03 PM

For a guitar of this caliber, I would have Taylor refinish the top in El Cajon. I have some scratch damage on mine and I am going to have this done myself.

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 06-09-2021, 05:39 PM

Refinishing a Taylor top in UV costs 450, it can blow out to 900 dependant on what else needs fixing.

UV is a super thin finish

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-09-2021, 07:22 PM

Default A thought

Right thing to do, says me, is to trust the guitar to Taylor and pay them what they want. It'll never be more right. For them, removing and reattaching bridges is all in a day's work. And removing and reinstalling a Taylor NT neck is a five-minute job. And it will come back set right. And Taylor can reapply the OEM finish.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Right thing to do, says me, is to trust the guitar to Taylor and pay them what they want. It'll never be more right. For them, removing and reattaching bridges is all in a day's work. And removing and reinstalling a Taylor NT neck is a five-minute job. And it will come back set right. And Taylor can reapply the OEM finish.
Taylor also have repairers certified by Taylor to do various levels of repair, from neck resets to Refinishes, Go to their website and search for a gold level repairer, this means they have been approved for doing Refinishes. I also believe anyone rated premier means any repairs carried out as far as Taylor is concerned, are equivelant to returning it to the factory
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
appearance, coating, thinning, varnish