The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-04-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I saw my "promo" build on today's Friday shipping video. I had to jump on their coupon offer a couple of months ago. Two months build time almost to the day. Got the final bill on Monday and settled it.

Haven't received a UPS tracking number yet, alas it's after 7pm in County Donegal, so I am betting it's hanging around for a week more before it departs, may be waiting for the coffee cup to get packed up.

Watching how they make their circuitous and unhurried way from the factory is always entertaining.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
I saw my "promo" build on today's Friday shipping video. I had to jump on their coupon offer a couple of months ago. Two months build time almost to the day. Got the final bill on Monday and settled it.
Cool. I just watched the video - which one is yours?

I’m hoping my upcoming Amicus will put in an appearance in 3 or 4 weeks.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-04-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Cool. I just watched the video - which one is yours?
The only 12-string in the video.

When I originally bought my stock x20 they also had a beautiful x20-12 in stock. I just could not jump at the time for 2 guitars, and wanted to be sure the x20 worked for me. I went back and tried to get the stock one and it was gone, was on the same shipping video as my 6 going to a lucky buyer in Louisana.

When the 10% off came that added some incentive to order the 12. They twisted the knife and announced the X7-12 this week, I also really like small bodied 12s. I see an Amicus in my future, maybe an X7-12. Bad GaS problems.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only 12-string in the video.

When I originally bought my stock x20 they also had a beautiful x20-12 in stock. I just could not jump at the time for 2 guitars, and wanted to be sure the x20 worked for me. I went back and tried to get the stock one and it was gone, was on the same shipping video as my 6 going to a lucky buyer in Louisana.

When the 10% off came that added some incentive to order the 12. They twisted the knife and announced the X7-12 this week, I also really like small bodied 12s. I see an Amicus in my future, maybe an X7-12. Bad GaS problems.
Aah, that one. It’s a beauty - I’ve always like the burst finish on quilted maple. The inlays look lovely too. I hope its journey to you is not too tortuous.
Cordoba Stage

Old 06-04-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Haven't received a UPS tracking number yet, alas it's after 7pm in County Donegal, so I am betting it's hanging around for a week more before it departs, may be waiting for the coffee cup to get packed up.

Watching how they make their circuitous and unhurried way from the factory is always entertaining.
Hopefully, you'll have better luck with customs than me. Latest update is that after saying it had been released last night is that it's back to being held at the warehouse pending instructions and agreement and that release may take an additional 10 days. Basically, the status reverted to what it has been for the last two weeks.

Meanwhile, the person helping me at the UPS brokerage service seems to think it should have gone through since she submitted the TSCA form to customs. She says she is investigating...

The Emerald shipping department got back to me and they are puzzled. And unable to make contact with anyone at UPS. I gave them my contact there but it's the weekend so doubt anything else will happen until Monday. Time to go play my X10 and not worry about it.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckee View Post
The third stated that there were no composite wood products in the shipment so I checked that one.
As a former cabinet maker, I can attest that composite wood products often contain formaldehyde. So, that at least sort of makes sense. Maybe.

Someone read "veneer" and veneers are normally applied to composite or multi-ply wood products, so simply assumed the guitar used some sort of plywood.

Also, breathing formaldehyde laden sawdust sucked, another reason I changed to physics.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 06-04-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:25 PM

Yes, I have a wood working background and agree wholeheartedly. MDF and plywood dust are terrible. On the bright side, as the world turns, my UPS brokerage person seems to have made some progress and dislodged the guitar from customs. The status now shows a delivery date for Monday. Still not holding my breath though.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I have a wood working background and agree wholeheartedly. MDF and plywood dust are terrible. On the bright side, as the world turns, my UPS brokerage person seems to have made some progress and dislodged the guitar from customs. The status now shows a delivery date for Monday. Still not holding my breath though.
Things are looking up! Increasing anticipation!
Old 06-05-2021, 10:47 AM

Yeah, think I'm good, it's at the local UPS hub.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is VERY good news!

When my 3rd Emerald was getting close, it showed up at my local Post Office about 12 seconds after they closed on a Saturday, with a Monday holiday.

Monday should be a very good day. Looking forward to reading about it.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Emeralds seem to speed up their journey once they cross the pond. Maybe like a horse heading for the barn

Heck, I'd be happy getting a tracking number.

Last edited by redi; 06-05-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:35 AM

Well, the guitar arrived and so far I like it. Not quite as much as my X10. I really like the low action and slim neck on the X10. The neck on the X7 is definitely chunkier but with the short scale it's not a big problem just different. Might try a lower saddle at some point we'll see. The bass response seems to be a little less than on the X10 but I expected that. The bottom line though is that it will easily slide into the overhead bin on an airplane and since I'll be bringing it on a surf trip through the jungles of Panama in October that is something I needed.

The big negative was the extra $306.54 extortion money I had to pay UPS to get the guitar off the brown truck. That brought shipping charges $501.56. Seems like a scam when the UPS brokerage is wracking up more and daily warehouse charges the longer they don't do their job. All this on trumped up toxic chemical paper work. I emailed Emerald about it but they're probably gone for the day.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well, the guitar arrived and so far I like it. Not quite as much as my X10. I really like the low action and slim neck on the X10. The neck on the X7 is definitely chunkier but with the short scale it's not a big problem just different. Might try a lower saddle at some point we'll see. The bass response seems to be a little less than on the X10 but I expected that. The bottom line though is that it will easily slide into the overhead bin on an airplane and since I'll be bringing it on a surf trip through the jungles of Panama in October that is something I needed.

The big negative was the extra $306.54 extortion money I had to pay UPS to get the guitar off the brown truck. That brought shipping charges $501.56. Seems like a scam when the UPS brokerage is wracking up more and daily warehouse charges the longer they don't do their job. All this on trumped up toxic chemical paper work. I emailed Emerald about it but they're probably gone for the day.
I am really very happy you finally have your new guitar at home! an odyssey that unfortunately often repeats itself thanks to UPS which is certainly proving to be a shipping giant with various problems that mess up both the end customer and the sender. I have the impression that the bigger they are, the more they think using watertight departments without good internal communication. Postal issues like yours, for other objects, have also happened to me with Fedex and especially DHL. Those warehouse charges are a real steal.

Regarding the guitar I would say that the neck difference between x7 and x10 was inevitable since one has a nut width 1 3/4 (x7) and the other 1 11/16 (x10). The radius is also different 16" for the x7 and 12-16" for the x10. Of course the short scale makes it easy to use. It's just a matter of getting used to, I am convinced that in a few days of play you you will easily get used to it. Are you using the same strings on both guitars?

Post us some photos for the joy of the eyes!

As I learned to say here on the forum, enjoy in good health!
Old 06-08-2021, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m glad it’s finally arrived, and is, so far, living up to expectations.

Quote:
That’s appalling. Do you have any recourse with UPS? I’ll be interested to hear what Emerald has to say. Yours is the first such report* I’ve seen here - obviously that doesn’t mean that it’s the only such occurrence.

*I mean of a shipment being held for this particular reason - I know there have been others who’ve incurred extra charges for a variety of excuses.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 06-08-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Glad to hear your Emerald arrived, but I agree that "extortion charge" is ridiculous. I got hit with a several hundred dollar "Customs fee" from USPS after US Customs held my Emerald for several weeks. I'm surprised that with so much of their business coming from the US, Emerald hasn't addressed and thoroughly rectified this situation with the proper authorities. I pressed my issue with Emerald, and they agreed to pay 1/2 the several hundred dollar fee...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-08-2021 at 10:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber