The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2021, 09:53 PM

Default McPherson fret board radius

I know there is a lot of love for the Sable around here and I understand that. I got a chance to play one for about 30 minutes before the pandemic. I wouldn't say that it was a guitar that haunts me because personally I like the tone of my OF660 and actually prefer the comfort of it. Tonally, there is no comparison to the Sable or Touring but pretty darn good for a $1300 guitar and I'm happy with it.

Since I'm leaning toward small guitars these days I've been looking at things like the X7 and the Touring. I also got to play the Touring as well and it did sound good, really good. Pretty much exactly what the Sable offered just in a more compact format. Of course some volume and depth were lost which is to be expected, but the warmth and especially the punch floored me for a such a small instrument. It does not suffer that mid range honk that so many parlor/travel size guitar do (and actually what I like about the Journey). I would say the Touring haunts me a bit more than the Sable just because I like the size.

The McPherson site does not spec out the fretboard radius so I went to look and was surprised to find they have a 14" radius. The only other luthiers I was able to find with that radius was Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Composite Acoustics, and some Guild models. Seems like an odd choice for radius but it didn't feel overly odd in my hands.

Are you Sable/ Touring owners pretty happy with the radius or find it odd to adjust to your other guitars. Do you like it or prefer it even? I remember the neck of those McPhersons feeling just fine in my hands but was wondering.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I don't pay much attention to the numbers and such, for me I notice things like there are chords that are easier to hit on the Sable than on some other guitars, My 2 favorite necks that I own are the Sable and my SCGC D-12, so now it makes sense. They must be the same radius. The Sable tone is my wife's favorite, and you know they are always right. I'm saving for a Touring, so your report helps a lot.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Dave's Guitar indicates a fretboard radius of 12" for the Sable and the Touring, even though the wooden McPhersons use 14".
I'm more sensitive to the neck profile than the fretboard radius, at least for small variations like between 12" and 16". I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 05-20-2021, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I find the Sable to be as comfortable to me as my Taylor 814ce was, if that's of any value. Similar feel, very easy to play.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:18 AM

My wood guitars are mostly Taylor, and while I wouldn’t call it identical I have absolutely no issue switching back and forth. I really enjoy the McPherson neck, comfortable and so easy to play, easy to thumb over the top of the neck at least to the 8th fret(as far as I usually do that).
Old 05-20-2021, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the great feedback folks! I don't recall having any concerns with the McPherson necks either and actually loved how they felt over the gloss typically found on CF guitars. Also, the 14" radius I misspoke of was from the Thalia website. Dave's Guitar Shop probably takes the time to actually get the specs not readily available otherwise. So it is actually 12". Interesting and quite a departure from the 20" RainSong I played for years. I guess I prefer a bit of radius.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

To be sure I directly asked McPherson about the radius of the Sable, and it’s actually 14’’ like their other guitars.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
To be sure I directly asked McPherson about the radius of the Sable, and it’s actually 14’’ like their other guitars.
What a novel idea - ask the vendor.

Unfortunately, that’s against AGF rules
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-22-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post

Yeah, it's kinda like stopping to ask directions. LOL I've asked McPherson questions via email several times, I always get a quick response. I like that and appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Argh, I’ll make it up to the forum by spreading rumors and false information from now on
Old 05-22-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Huh? Guess I’m slow today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
Well then thanks for checking, 14” is close to what I’m used to. I know that many have little concern going between instruments but I’m sensitive I guess. A little flatter is better for fingerstyle and classical players.

McPherson is very responsive as they answered my question about a guitar sized between the 2 of their carbon offerings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber