The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-27-2021, 01:17 PM

Default Is it worth taking a beginner guitar in for maintenance

Hey there,

I've lurked these forums a handful of times over the last few years, but was recently inspired to join.

I guess I've been bit by the nostalgia bug today. I recently came back into possession of my first acoustic guitar. It's a Takamine G Series. I think I bought it off the Guitar Center wall for $300 back in 2007. The guitar has held up very well all things considered and I've been toying around with taking it in to get it fixed up. I keep wondering if it's worth it though?

It's the lowest end guitar I own and at this point I really just play my Waterloo (hence the username). But there's a part of me that wants to see how the Takamine plays with a fresh setup. I detect a very slight bowing in the neck that's not visible to my untrained eye but it can be felt while playing. Frets seem like they're in good shape. All in all, I think the little bit of TLC it requires won't cost me more than $60 or so from a professional. Is this worth pursuing?
Old 05-27-2021, 01:30 PM

It sounds to me as though you want to get it done to at least satisfy your curiosity. I also hear a bit of sentimentality in your statement. So I say go for it. It's always nice to have two guitars, especially one you don't mind playing around the campfire.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I would at least take it in for an assessment.
A nice setup can make inexpensive guitars sing.
It’s not going to sound like an expensive guitar probably, but it can still feel great I think.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:54 PM

I think it's worth it. A guitar with memories is worth having playable. Don't think about the value of the guitar. it's worth more to you than anyone.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooplayer View Post
....All in all, I think the little bit of TLC it requires won't cost me more than $60 or so from a professional. Is this worth pursuing?
If that's all it's going to cost, I'd say it's definitely worth putting it in good playing shape, shined up, and with new strings. It'll be like getting a new guitar for 60 bucks!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-27-2021, 03:51 PM

Thank you guys for sharing your perspectives! I called up my local repair guy and will be having the guitar assessed next weekend and we'll figure it out from there. Excited to hear how it all turns out
Old 05-27-2021, 04:40 PM

Please keep us posted as to the results.You're not going to lose anything by doing this and you just might be surprised at what a little TLC does to the old git.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:11 PM

I just recently rejuvenated a mid 60s Regal Jumbo Western. I have a thread about it on this forum.

It's the same guitar I learned how to play on when I was 14, which was 45 or so years ago. I'm now 68.

I did the work my self, for the first time, and it turned out pretty good.
It was worth every penny which was way more than $60.

If a luthier did it it, depending on what they charge, it would be in the $600 to $700 range.

My point here is that any guitar, regardless of market value, is worthy of fixing. It depends on how far you want to go and how deep your pockets are.

Ron
Old 05-27-2021, 06:54 PM

Purchase price or perceived value is irrelevant to getting it serviced or repaired, if it does what you need it to do, then its simply part of the upkeep required
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-27-2021, 08:26 PM

Default pathfinder pioneer

I think OP's intent to do right by his Takamini is a wonderful thing to do. It has the potential to refresh the soul.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:41 AM

Thank you guys for all the supportive comments. I think I just needed some like minded peers to concur that it wasn't a waste of time/money to do this. I will be sure to post back with an update once I meet up with my guitar guy next weekend.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:31 PM

Some of the most significant and rewarding work I do is setup and adjustment on modest beginner instruments. After all, it's the beginner who needs the most playable instrument. An experienced or professional player can handle virtually anything.

And, indeed we do sometimes restore "first guitars," for folks who have sentimental attachment. We always try to address the cost/benefit of such restoration, so all parties know what's up.

Frank Ford
Old 05-29-2021, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Go for it!

And never underestimate a cheap guitar. Your Waterloo is a "copy" of a $15 cheap guitar of its day (which at the time would have felt the same as buying a $300 guitar does now). So give your Tak some love.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Some of the most significant and rewarding work I do is setup and adjustment on modest beginner instruments. After all, it's the beginner who needs the most playable instrument. An experienced or professional player can handle virtually anything.

And, indeed we do sometimes restore "first guitars," for folks who have sentimental attachment. We always try to address the cost/benefit of such restoration, so all parties know what's up.
Yes! This is so true. I love it when someone brings in a cheap squier or something and says "This was my first guitar and I'd really like to bring it back." Then to get it back and say, "Thank you so much. It was never this good."
Old 05-31-2021, 09:54 AM

And when I see the ads labeling a beginner guitars I think they are not set up and are used to discourage a new player. If I was not handed a high action piano string guitar in school I might have learned to play back then rather than fifty years later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair