The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-30-2021, 10:08 AM

Default Bridge crack repair. Pro's opinions and suggestions please

Guitar is a mid 90s Alvarez 12 string so I'm assuming it's glued using epoxy. Would like to hear some suggestions from pros on both repairing the crack and replacing the bridge altogether. It's not split all the way across but it's almost all the way to the bottom. Tried to take some close ups so you can see. The guitar otherwise is perfectly functional and in great overall condition. TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20210529_084253b.jpg (51.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20210529_084256b.jpg (47.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20210529_084321b.jpg (38.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 10:28 AM

Is the top bellying much under the bridge? Twelve strings at concert pitch exert a great deal of pressure. The ideal repair would of course be to install a new bridge. I'm not sure how hard it would be to find a replacement with the correct spacing.

I would be tempted to try gluing the cracks with industrial grade epoxy first and seeing if it would hold before committing the time/expense of a bridge replacement.

I'm sure other more experienced luthiers will weigh in here.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Is the top bellying much under the bridge? Twelve strings at concert pitch exert a great deal of pressure. The ideal repair would of course be to install a new bridge. I'm not sure how hard it would be to find a replacement with the correct spacing.

I would be tempted to try gluing the cracks with industrial grade epoxy first and seeing if it would hold before committing the time/expense of a bridge replacement.

I'm sure other more experienced luthiers will weigh in here.
The top is surprisingly flat for a 25 year old 12 string. I put a new saddle in/on it and it stands pretty tall and has good string break angle. Action is about .125 on bass E and .090 on the treble side. I can lower it substantially and still have plenty of string break angle. I can provide more pics if needed.

I have considered either filling it with epoxy or rosewood powder and watered down glue.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:51 AM

I’m not a professional repair person but before a new bridge is attempted I would try to use super thin cyanoacrylate glue to wick into crack and clamp it somehow.
for a minute. That may postpone any major surgery.
Just a thought maybe too high a saddle is not helping the crack.
I always thought that could cause or worsen cracks.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

You have nothing to lose by attempting a repair by filling the crack. Personally I'd put a clamp on it w/ very little pressure in hopes the crack would close.

My choice would be one (or two) of those large Stew Mac wooden cam clamps. Be sure to put paper towels under the holes inside the body to catch any drips.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
The guitar otherwise is perfectly functional and in great overall condition.
You state that it is a 1990's guitar. I'm assuming that the split in the bridge is not recent. If so, has it gotten any worse recently?

If the split is stable - not opening or getting bigger - aside from the cosmetics of it, is there anything negative that is resulting from the split?

Filling the split with glue - epoxy, CA, white, yellow, hide - will add little strength. Filling it is mostly cosmetic. It is very unlikely that, while the bridge is on the guitar, you will be able to apply sufficient clamping force to close the split.

If the split is not otherwise causing some problem or getting worse, I'd leave it be, or, if you prefer, fill it for cosmetic purposes.

As an aside, you can put a piece of masking tape on the inside on the bridge plate to keep any glue from coming through the pin holes. The wooden cam clamps will not provide sufficient clamping force, or clamping "purchase", for this job. Unless you want the clamps for some other purpose, save your money.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 05-30-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:02 PM

Spot on advice. I have a 1981 Yamaha with an ebony bridge that cracked across like that 30 years ago. I filled the crack with black putty just for cosmetics. It has had no effect at all. Pushing glue down in there would just possibly make it harder to remove if needed in the future.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:19 PM

Default A thought

Physicians are taught to be certain, first, that they do no harm. Same rule. True, the bridge shows cracks, but they follow the direction of weakest strength anyway. The strings are supported by a 3-ply crossgrain construction, bridge, top, bridgeplate.

Enjoy that fine old guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair