The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2021, 10:40 AM

Default Setup on Journey overhead (OF660R1M)

I recently purchased a Journey OF660R1M Traveler and would like to improve the set up on it. Specifically it has a little buzzing in the middle of the neck on the first three strings and also high action on the higher frets. I have the lower saddle installed.

Is there anything special that should be taken into account since the neck is obviously not a standard neck. What should I, or the luthier, be aware of that is unique to this guitar?

I would like to get the action to be similar to my Sable and Taylors (814CE, K24BE)
Old 05-19-2021, 02:31 PM

Default Setup on Journey overhead (OF660R1M)

What is the action on your Sable and Taylors?
Old 05-19-2021, 04:56 PM

I haven't measured it but it is on the low side and they are very easy to play. Both Taylors are factory setups, which I liked from the start. The Sable, I swapped out to the lower action saddle that they provided. I'd say the Taylors are just marginally easier to play and fret. I play with a pick (usually) and I don't get string buzz even when I dig in a bit.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:04 PM

Thanks, I also love low action. My Journey is set up so low that if I use certain light strings I get a little buzz. Right now it's wearing mediums- no buzz but a little harder to play. I think I prefer the medium light hybrid sets best.

I have the low saddle on the OF660 installed and sanded it down even further than the factory dimensions. I can't tell you how tall the saddle is from seat to crown without taking the saddle out (which I'm happy to do for you if you like- pretty easy on that guitar), but my action @ 12th fret is 3/32 low E side and 2/32 high e. The neck is near dead flat with just a wee bit of relief. It plays NICE

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the Journey not having a standard neck (because it collapses?), but that major detail aside there is nothing about that neck any different than other CF guitars other than profile and scale- it is set it and forget it providing that it comes perfect from the factory where they have a great fret job, dead straight necks, and a precise neck joint.

Last edited by steelvibe; 05-19-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:49 AM

OK, thanks for the input! I will check it out. Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if this applies to an OF660 because of the different neck joint, but on my RT660 the neck was not sitting in the pocket as it should. I was able to unbolt it and rebolt it in a position that aligned better and it both lowered the action and changed the fretboard angle to the strings for the upper frets.

But the suggestion is to look closely at the neck joint and see if there is some adjustment available there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber