The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 11:01 AM

You might want to pack a telecaster just in case you run in to one of the morons who seem to be more prevalent on flights these days...lol

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 06-13-2021, 10:58 PM

I literally just got off a Southwest flight an hour ago, flying from Orange County to San Jose, CA. We were packed like sardines, it was a full flight. Not what I expected. We are back to the pre-covid days. The only difference is everyone must wear a mask during the flight. One guy had a Gibson electric. He boarded the plane without any problems but he was in the "A" group.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
Thanks Rev Roy. I was hunting in Expedia but don't see an option there for early boarding. Any pointers on purchase method?
It's Southwest that has an option to pay extra to be in the earliest boarding group. You WILL NOT find Southwest on anything but their own site and it's well worth the extra step if you are traveling with a guitar. I carry my guitar on most domestic flights except for puddle jumpers but sometimes I do get pushback from gate agents. Have never gotten even a side-eye glance from Southwest and they are the first place I check when I need to go somewhere.

If you're not on Southwest book a seat in the rear of the plane so that you board early when the overheads are still empty. Do not buy the lowest fare where you do not get to choose your seat. You're just asking for a headache. also, do not have any other carry-on larger than a small/medium backpack. definitely not anything like a rollerboard suitcase!
Ovation Legend
Guild D40

Last edited by Graylocks; 06-14-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:54 PM

I just flew up to CT from FL a few days ago, and had a guitar (soft case) in the overhead. No issue. Jet Blue was the carrier.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I just flew up to CT from FL a few days ago, and had a guitar (soft case) in the overhead. No issue. Jet Blue was the carrier.
you're braver than me. It's been years, a decade maybe, since I've had to check a guitar but I always have it in a hard case just in case.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 06-16-2021, 05:07 AM

I have traveled about 5-6 times with a guitar on a plane. Typically, when I bought one while on business and flying home with it. I have never had a problem but I’m super nervous boarding because you never really know if there is room. I have always asked first to put in the small coat closet immediately when I walk on. I ask very kindly and with a big smile! Be nice and they will accommodate.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:47 AM

Great info on this thread. Thanks all! As it turns out, I am not carrying a guitar on the plane with me today after all. But now I have this thread as a resource for future travel!
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion