The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2021, 01:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Low Profile XLR

Thanks Cuki for a great recommendation!

I found "Switchcraft AAA3FBLP Low Profile Female XLR" and "Cable Techniques CT-BX3F-K or CT-BX3FL-K" as excellent choices.

If there's enough interest, I can add the low profile cable as an accessory on our website. Low profile, right angle, XLR Male to XLR Female, L=18 inches, Red Mogami cable.

Meantime, feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] if you need one.

Cheers,
Sunny
Old 06-10-2021, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's another great option, an adjustable right angle XLR adapter that either the male or female XLR can be set in 4 angles, 0, 90, 180 or 270 degree:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-L-Sha...355948&sr=8-13
Old 06-11-2021, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Here's another great option, an adjustable right angle XLR adapter that either the male or female XLR can be set in 4 angles, 0, 90, 180 or 270 degree:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-L-Sha...355948&sr=8-13
I tried one of these, but there was a loss in volume with it in the chain.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, that's possible. Maybe you received a defective adapter?? There will be a 6dB loss if one of the hot(+) or cold(-) wires broke or got disconnected.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

My apologies....I was wrong. I retested the Amazon right angle adapter
and there was no loss in volume. I have no idea what I did differently
when I heard the loss in volume. So this device seems to works
fine with the DI-2 on my PB. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I've always had excellent results with the Anthem at stage volume. I would like to test the Trance and Dazzo in the same situation.
Consider yourself lucky

BTW when I mean stage volumes, I mean actual stages, not club or restaurant volumes just to be clear. The first time I experienced this was for a crowd of about 500 people which got bigger as the event unfolded. As I felt the volume coming up, with the sound people handling that, all hell broke loose with the Anthem. Runaway feedback which had me trying to adjust the mini controls inside the soundhole, and damping my guitar top with my hand! I just took the guitar off trying to deal with it. Which was a huge pain, because it was the guitar I was rehearsing with all week for the event. And it killed my flow/presentation of my original music!!! Soon as I put my B-Band loaded guitar on, problem solved, I just laughed off the feedback, and I finished the gig successfully. The show must go on!

And it wasn't an isolated incident. I've had three Anthems now, and it's happened with all of them. One guitar had one in it when I bought, and the other two were installed by a pro luthier. The best one of the three, was the barndoor StagePro Version, because of it's onboard Notch and Mix controls which were very easy to get to while playing. The only reason I tried that one was because the hole left from the previous B-Band barndoor system (which was destroyed by Delta Airlines), was easy to modify to make the Stagepro work. I still didn't like sound of the Anthem system, so I gave that guitar to my son who doesn't play professionally. He rarely plugs in.

I haven't played my Trance Amulet that loud yet, but pretty close, and it is pretty feedback resistant.

I would like to try a Dazzo, maybe in my HD28.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Consider yourself lucky

BTW when I mean stage volumes, I mean actual stages, not club or restaurant volumes just to be clear. The first time I experienced this was for a crowd of about 500 people which got bigger as the event unfolded. As I felt the volume coming up, with the sound people handling that, all hell broke loose with the Anthem. Runaway feedback which had me trying to adjust the mini controls inside the soundhole, and damping my guitar top with my hand! I just took the guitar off trying to deal with it. Which was a huge pain, because it was the guitar I was rehearsing with all week for the event. And it killed my flow/presentation of my original music!!! Soon as I put my B-Band loaded guitar on, problem solved, I just laughed off the feedback, and I finished the gig successfully. The show must go on!

And it wasn't an isolated incident. I've had three Anthems now, and it's happened with all of them. One guitar had one in it when I bought, and the other two were installed by a pro luthier. The best one of the three, was the barndoor StagePro Version, because of it's onboard Notch and Mix controls which were very easy to get to while playing. The only reason I tried that one was because the hole left from the previous B-Band barndoor system (which was destroyed by Delta Airlines), was easy to modify to make the Stagepro work. I still didn't like sound of the Anthem system, so I gave that guitar to my son who doesn't play professionally. He rarely plugs in.

I haven't played my Trance Amulet that loud yet, but pretty close, and it is pretty feedback resistant.

You can have an idea of how a Dazzo sounds into a HD28 (2005) on this comparison I made (against a KM184):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3THby41JI_w

Really nice sounding, in my opinion!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 06-14-2021, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky

I think at a certain point it just becomes about physics. Anything will feedback if you have monitors on a loud stage. Even a UST.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I think at a certain point it just becomes about physics. Anything will feedback if you have monitors on a loud stage. Even a UST.
Not even close to being true, my B-band system at the same gig, was nowhere as feedback prone, not even close. That's how I finished the gig I referenced.

And and as I said, I replaced a B-Band system that was damaged by Delta Airlines with an Anthem system, and I disliked it so much, that I gave that guitar to my son! So I'm comparing apples to apples, same guitar different pickup system. And I gave the Anthem more of chance that I normally have patience for. It was in that guitar for about 20 3 hour gigs before I said enough is enough!

Fortunately, I found an almost identical guitar (of only 150 ever made) and a NOS B-Band (made in Finland system), and now I'm back in business!

Somebody here posted about a company that was sitting on a few old B-Band XOM systems, so I bought all they had (3). Thank you AGF.

Here's the old one with the B-Band Barndoor XOM 2.2 system...

Here's the new one with the B-Band internal XOM 2.2 system...

Old 06-15-2021, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
You can have an idea of how a Dazzo sounds into a HD28 (2005) on this comparison I made (against a KM184):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3THby41JI_w

Really nice sounding, in my opinion!
Yes I watched that demo, and that's what got me thinking about trying a Dazzo. Your guitar sound very similar to my HD28. I did notice a little bit of Piezo compression from the Dazzo when you dug in, but overall it sounded pretty good.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not even close to being true, my B-band system at the same gig, was nowhere as feedback prone, not even close. That's how I finished the gig I referenced.

And and as I said, I replaced a B-Band system that was damaged by Delta Airlines with an Anthem system, and I disliked it so much, that I gave that guitar to my son! So I'm comparing apples to apples, same guitar different pickup system. And I gave the Anthem more of chance that I normally have patience for. It was in that guitar for about 20 3 hour gigs before I said enough is enough!

Fortunately, I found an almost identical guitar (of only 150 ever made) and a NOS B-Band (made in Finland system), and now I'm back in business!

Somebody here posted about a company that was sitting on a few old B-Band XOM systems, so I bought all they had (3). Thank you AGF.

Here's the old one with the B-Band Barndoor XOM 2.2 system...

Here's the new one with the B-Band internal XOM 2.2 system...

Was this the same guitar?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:49 AM

For me BBand xom and Baggs Anthem are different beasts although they share a lots of features

BBand SBT is a bubble film that behaves as an electret microphone as far as converting vibration to voltage. however the film is glued to the top. As a result it mostly senses the top motion and is more resistant to feedback

Baggs Anthem is a real condenser microphone with a suspended diaphragm coupled to «air». Although the boundary reflexion cancelling technology makes it more feedback resistant than a simple microphone it still senses air and thus is exposed to the box-soundhole resonance.

My 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-15-2021, 12:02 PM

Definitely not understanding the Anthem/feedback issue. I mean, any pickup can feedback but I never had even a hint of feedback with either the full/SL Anthem or the Lyric. In comparison, I had on occasion, a bit of feedback with the Amulet and K&k. I know logic dictates that the tru-mic should be more feedback prone than a SBT; I just haven’t found this to be the case. I too think it has more to do with monitor placement or potentially a loose tru-mic.

rockabilly69, you mentioned hearing some piezo tone in the Dazzo demo. Is this a big issue though? The B-Band, although a nice enough system, definitely sounds like a piezo.

Last edited by Petty1818; 06-15-2021 at 12:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification