The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2022, 03:04 PM

Yes, the good old 'paid rehearsal.' Funny thing, sometimes these are the best paying gigs!

I believe thinking of them as 'being paid to practice' is actually a psychological defense mechanism. No performer enjoys playing to an empty room, or an uncaring room.

Faced with the possibility of refusing these gigs (or any that might turn into one), many will reframe the situation and make lemonade out of lemons.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-13-2022, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Yes, the good old 'paid rehearsal.' Funny thing, sometimes these are the best paying gigs!

I believe thinking of them as 'being paid to practice' is actually a psychological defense mechanism. No performer enjoys playing to an empty room, or an uncaring room.

Faced with the possibility of refusing these gigs (or any that might turn into one), many will reframe the situation and make lemonade out of lemons.
Exactly where we are. We play one of these 'shows', hate it, ask ourselves why we even bother, then 'rationalize' it that we are basically getting paid to practice, so why not? Still...
Old 08-13-2022, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
OK, throw a brick at me. But I think calling a gig, especially a paid gig, as a "practice" event is rather dismissive.

If I am paid to perform ... even if it is in exchange for a free meal or something ... I always try to do my best. I don't take shortcuts or give less than what I am capable of doing.

I've played these types of gigs and I have enjoyed them and have been asked back. I've also played at bar gigs where I've played to mostly empty bar stools ... but I never considered them as "practice" gigs.

There are many of us here I think who would be delighted to get a chance to play at these "practice" gigs.

OK, get out your bricks. I'm ready.
Duck - brick incoming. Nowhere did I say that we weren't trying our best and actually giving it our all. We were still paid and we played a great show. You missed the point, clearly. Hopefully you recover from the head trauma.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion