The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-04-2022, 07:37 PM

Default Foot Rest Users, a call to arms!

Foot rest users:

I'm interested in specifics as far as Top size / shape, range of height, and how much adjustable angle would be preferred.

I have an idea for a nice design in assorted woods that might match the classical player's aesthetic.

Let's see what we can come up with, and I'll post the construction plan here for anyone who's interested in making a deluxe hand crafted adjustable foot rest.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I've been thinking along similar lines - I've got a lot of mahogany, maple, and cocobolo laying around but haven't come up with a design I like. Maybe after I finish the Tele that I'm starting today, I'll delve into it a little further.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I've been thinking along similar lines - I've got a lot of mahogany, maple, and cocobolo laying around but haven't come up with a design I like. Maybe after I finish the Tele that I'm starting today, I'll delve into it a little further.
Hi Skip,
What I'm thinking is a foot rest that is easily adjustable for both height and top angle. The design would be simple once the specifics for various user preferences are ascertained.

I often accumulate scrap in cherry, oak, walnut, and maple that ends up getting tossed when the scrap threatens to overtake the shop.

Teles... one of the best of life's pleasures! I did two thinlines in figured wood when I played a lot in bar bands. Three hours with a stock Tele was just more than my shoulder would bear!
Old 08-06-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I don't use a foot rest any more, but if I did, I would get one made of nice wood just as you two are suggesting.
Here's a utilitarian design as a starter. It might look very nice in some fancy tonewood configuration!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 11.51.29 AM.jpg (29.7 KB, 92 views)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-06-2022, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I made one just like it from hard maple. It has worked very well.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:23 PM

Hi Andre,
Thanks much for the graphic, that's a big help for general size. I'm going for a design that is more pleasing to the eye and looks less like the "ironing board" style foot rests.

Would a larger footrest area be better than the dimensions shown?

Would a heel rest bar to keep the foot from sliding off the rear of the rest be advantageous?

Keep those cards n' letters coming...
Old 08-06-2022, 02:46 PM

I also no longer use a footrest, but at one time thought of making one
with a horizontal threaded adjuster across the pivot point, to get the height just right.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Andre,
Thanks much for the graphic, that's a big help for general size. I'm going for a design that is more pleasing to the eye and looks less like the "ironing board" style foot rests.

Would a larger footrest area be better than the dimensions shown?

Would a heel rest bar to keep the foot from sliding off the rear of the rest be advantageous?

Keep those cards n' letters coming...
Hi Rudy,
Glad you're tackling such a project. You can get creative with it while maintaining, and even enhancing, functionality.
I had found that graphic on the internet (from Italy I think), and I agree that it doesn't check the eye appeal box very well, even if it's functional.
To answer your questions:
Yes, for a larger footrest area. It looks to be a bit on the slim side. I don't know how large the sweet spot is, but bigger is better than the tighter/narrower design from the graphic (imo).
I think a heel rest bar is an excellent idea! It would relax the foot quite a bit, I would think, and lessen overall tension in the foot and leg.

I wish there would be a way of adjusting the angle more elegantly than using notches, but having the ability to adjust more than one position is a plus (again imo).
My first, and only, footstool was a clunky metal one, and I always hated it. This is definitely an area where thoughtful design, functionality and aesthetics can go a long way.
Great stuff! I encourage you wholeheartedly!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-14-2022, 10:45 PM

I have one similar to the photo, but a little more slender and stained dark. It works fine, no heel rest needed, and I value the simplicity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical