The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-04-2022, 04:10 AM

Choice made! Gretsch 5420 lefty with the rosewood boards just off to play a few more ^_^ n decide on one. Kept thinking about the fact gretsch are making the lefties and that the way to vote is with funds so to speak an you never know if anyone from Gibson / Epiphone reads this if you did a lefty Broadway or a Lefty Wes Montgomery you would have got zee money

Thanks for all the help everyone very much appreciated an in the long term I'm gonna save up n get an acoustic l7 none cutaway or a lefty Falcon really excited to start my Gretsch Journey.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

You'll do great! ✌🏻
Old 08-04-2022, 06:51 AM

Excellent results!

Enjoy the Gretsch, they do have their own sound.

I really like my 5422TG.

Play on!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-04-2022, 07:54 AM

Let us know when you finally get it - and as I'm sure you're discovering photos are an unofficial requirement with every new guitar purchase, so we'll be eagerly expecting yours...

Great choice - use it well, often, and as creatively as I believe you will...

While this might be a little off-topic, since you're getting into jazz guitar I thought I might share some examples here of what it sounded like in the days before amplification. Here's my favorite of the new-generation acoustic-archtop players, fellow AGF member Jonathan Stout (AKA campusfive) keeping the prewar virtuoso tradition of Carl Kress/Dick McDonough, Tony Mottola, Al Hendrickson, Allen Reuss, Al Valenti, Ivor Mairants, et al. alive into the 21st century; while he clearly uses the orchestral-string-based "glide/stroke" approach that forms the foundation of jazz guitar plectrum technique (acoustic or electric) to this day, of note here is how he performs those subtle (and I suspect unconscious, given his formidable chops) variations that bring out the dominant qualities of each guitar - in his case the massive volume and cutting power for which the big-body prewar Epiphones were (and are) renowned, versus the rounder and smoother tones of the 17" Advanced-Series Gibsons - and to which IME the Gretsch hollowbodies lend themselves so well in an amplified context:

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-04-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:05 AM

Thanks everyone super excited to get one, today went a little sideways as the new one we had seen had all gone months ago! Left the adverts up when we spoke to the indivdual shops good job we didn't get all the way there.

Just waiting to hear back about two others and there's always the used one I played but it had some cracks in the clear on it that looked quite deep n it was a bit on the pricey side so we shall see played so amazing though

Failing that theres always the new Chinese built ones but I don't know to much about those I think the pickups changed + the board went from rosewood which I've used before to Laurel which I think I used before I had an epi so once like that once but it was dyed an it came off all over my fingers.

It's got a trestle post though like the original white falcons had been doing a bit of reading up ^__^ so we shall see if I don't hear back about those few I've enquired about I'm gonna have a long drive to try one of the G5422GLH out of interest tomorrow with them being out of my range at a more local dealer out of curiosity more than anything as its super interesting learning how the different body shapes sound.

Definitely gonna be a Gretsch this time round if all goes to plan I'm assuming the 2.75" of the 5420 has a more fuller sound than the 2.25 on the 5422glh? I'm such a geek for these sort of things.

The glh puts me a bit in mind of the 355 visually like what Guy King plays his tone is amazing with his thumb not sure which came first.

An will do Steve I'll get some pics up n a few clips soon as I get one hopefully the deep dive into stuff an my learning experience can help anyone looking at this thread to in the future!

N wow hadn't listened to all those clips listened to one last night the projection was so totally amazing could imagine one of those with a Charlie Christian pickup being super epic. N might be a good way of doing it rather than controls sticking in my arm in the future when I'm more flush funds wise it's so fascinating learning about the differences in all the guitars an techniques etc an setup find it fascinating.

I'll listen to the rest of the clips tonight exciting stuff.

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 08-04-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Strat View Post
Thanks everyone super excited to get one, today went a little sideways as the new one we had seen had all gone months ago! Left the adverts up when we spoke to the indivdual shops good job we didn't get all the way there.

Just waiting to hear back about two others and there's always the used one I played but it had some cracks in the clear on it that looked quite deep n it was a bit on the pricey side so we shall see played so amazing though

Failing that theres always the new Chinese built ones but I don't know to much about those I think the pickups changed + the board went from rosewood which I've used before to Laurel which I think I used before I had an epi so once like that once but it was dyed an it came off all over my fingers.

It's got a trestle post though like the original white falcons had been doing a bit of reading up ^__^ so we shall see if I don't hear back about those few I've enquired about I'm gonna have a long drive to try one of the G5422GLH out of interest tomorrow with them being out of my range at a more local dealer out of curiosity more than anything as its super interesting learning how the different body shapes sound.

Definitely gonna be a Gretsch this time round if all goes to plan I'm assuming the 2.75" of the 5420 has a more fuller sound than the 2.25 on the 5422glh? I'm such a geek for these sort of things.

The glh puts me a bit in mind of the 355 visually like what Guy King plays his tone is amazing with his thumb not sure which came first.

An will do Steve I'll get some pics up n a few clips soon as I get one hopefully the deep dive into stuff an my learning experience can help anyone looking at this thread to in the future!

N wow hadn't listened to all those clips listened to one last night the projection was so totally amazing could imagine one of those with a Charlie Christian pickup being super epic. N might be a good way of doing it rather than controls sticking in my arm in the future when I'm more flush funds wise it's so fascinating learning about the differences in all the guitars an techniques etc an setup find it fascinating.

I'll listen to the rest of the clips tonight exciting stuff.
I'm under the impression that the same pickups are in the MIC ones.

I think you'd be good to grab an MIK one tho. My 5422TG is MIK, and it's really a great guitar.

someday tho I might put a set of authentic Filtertrons in there.. the Blacktops sound good but they do lack output a bit.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-04-2022, 09:37 AM

Thanks Ray be interesting to see what happens tomorrow
Old 08-04-2022, 01:00 PM

Hi guys quick question would it be considered a plus if it had a Bigbsby as standard or would there be any disadvantage or would the be able to go back to the trapeze for Jazz? Just noticed Steves had Bigbsys N so did Mary's Falcon do they alter the tone in any way something I'm not familiar with

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 08-04-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Hey there, if you're going for the Gretsch you gotta have a Bigsby you can always swing it out of the way. And, since you're a Strat player you know all about trems!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:47 PM

Indeed I do love a trem pretty sure I've sorted something Gretsch ^__^ going to view it in the morning very excited bit of a trek so will update in the evening tomorrow all being well with some piccies of something
Old 08-04-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Hi guys, quick question: would it be considered a plus if it had a Bigsby as standard, would there be any disadvantage, or would I be able to go back to the trapeze for jazz? Just noticed Steve's had Bigbsys and so did Mary's Falcon - do they alter the tone in any way (something I'm not familiar with)...
In order:
  • If you're going to dabble in some rock/country styles and/or '50s-style "dinner music" jazz, it's a definite plus;
  • Disadvantage is that you can't "ride the bar" as you would on a Floyd Rose-equipped solidbody without going seriously out of tune, but I suspect that's not an issue given your preferred style[s] - IME they maintain tune well with the factory spring (FYI lighter/heavier springs are available) and the heavier flatwound strings (11's and up) most seasoned Gretsch players use;
  • Not all of my Gretsches have Bigsbys: my '64 Double Anniversary came with the slanted "G" tailpiece used on many of the non-Chet Atkins hollowbodies and, although mine shipped with the rare clip-on Tone Twister mini-trem (which really serves no function, other than as a string damper between the bridge and tailpiece - and has to be completely removed with each string change) I don't miss the Bigsby (and don't use the ones I have all that often) - and since we're on the topic I might as well include pics of both the guitar and Tone Twister:

• You can retrofit a "G" trapeze tailpiece, if you so choose: they're readily available through the aftermarket, but unless you've had experience with these things I'd have the job done by a professional tech, to insure proper alignment with the string path - here's a pic and link:

https://angelainstruments.com/produc...ews-0062745000

• Some archtop players (both acoustic and electric) say a heavier tailpiece provides greater stability, some say a lighter tailpiece improves response, still others wouldn't have anything but a Benedetto-style wooden tailpiece in the interest of a "woodier" and less-metallic tone: the bottom line here is what you like, and whether or not any perceived differences are significant enough to impact your tone/style...
Old 08-05-2022, 09:33 AM

Thanks Steve as always amazing information ^_^
Can let the cat out of the bag a bit now woop!

Got my first Gretsch thank you to everyone thats advised especially Steve with all the quality information

Ended up with a Gretsch Left Handed G5420TGLH-59 Electromatic Vintage in orange with the USA bigsby in silver and gold hardware like Chet Atkins guitar apparently there's was only 100 lefties worldwide super happy with it played amazing at the guys house just so happy I can't put it into words woop! Just on the way home ill let her acclimatise an take some pics tomorrow :3

https://leftyfretz.com/gretsch-left-handed-g5420t/

Thanks again for all the amazing help n look forward to being part of the forum going forward.

Lucy
Old 08-05-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Hi Lucy,

That is a very nice Gretsch guitar! I have been tempted to buy the Sweetwater special so many times. Good for you! (Full disclosure: I am right-handed. )

- Glenn
Old 08-05-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
...Ended up with a Gretsch left handed G5420TGLH-59 Electromatic Vintage in orange, with the USA Bigsby in silver and gold hardware like Chet Atkins' guitar. Apparently there were only 100 lefties worldwide - super happy with it, played amazing at the guy's house, just so happy I can't put it into words woop! Just on the way home - I'll let her acclimate and take some pics tomorrow :3

https://leftyfretz.com/gretsch-left-handed-g5420t/

Thanks again for all the amazing help - look forward to being part of the forum going forward...
Great choice, and welcome to the ranks of satisfied Gretsch Electromatic owners here on the AGF Electric subforum - looking forward to the pics (which, BTW, are pretty much obligatory whenever you purchase a new guitar/amp )...

FYI changing strings on a Bigsby is an art form in itself (or a method of torture straight out the darkest days of the Inquisition, depending on how you look at it ), so when you're ready for those flatwounds I'd strongly recommend one of these; I've got them on both my Electromatic and White Falcon, and once installed not only do they significantly reduce restringing time/effort, but they don't affect Bigsby use (if you so choose) and they look like original equipment:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/vibramate_string_spoiler.htm

Use it well, often, and tasty...
Old 08-05-2022, 12:50 PM

So nice to see someone embarking on a jazz quest here. Keep us posted!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars