The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-30-2022, 11:59 AM

Default A Modding Project-EART Corsair/Part 1

I really prefer the term “hot rodding” but I felt that would be misleading in the title.

My sonny-boy is coming home the end of August to spend some time with his old man!(yayy) He’s been living and working in St. Louie just about three years now. We saw each other much more when he was in Boston, but you have to go where your career brings you.

I want to surprise him with this little T-Style hot rod when he gets here. I saw the back of the headstock and just couldn’t resist. The reviews on this EART Corsair NK C1 T-Style guitar are very good, especially considering the small investment involved. This is just a light mod job planned to be ready before he arrives. The guitar will be here Wednesday they say, and my parts should all be here by Friday! It should be well dialed it before he gets back to New Jersey.

Have a peek at the parts list:

HOW COULD I NOT DO THIS FOR HIM?

MY GO TO ELECTRIC STRINGS

SCHALLER STRAP LOCKS

GOTOH LOCKING TUNERS

GOTOH BRASS SADDLES

FENDER 4PLY GUARD

Last edited by Chickee; 09-19-2022 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:07 PM

Looks like fun Frank, post a pic of the finished guitar! BTW I'm a Gotoh fan through and through, good choice on the tuners, and I prefer the fuller Fender pickguard shape!
Old 07-30-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Looks like fun Frank, post a pic of the finished guitar! BTW I'm a Gotoh fan through and through, good choice on the tuners, and I prefer the fuller Fender pickguard shape!
Yeah Rocky, I haven’t been disappointed in GOTOH products, so that’s what I’ll work with on this project. After reading all the reviews and watching the videos, I can’t wait to experience this neck!

Everyone raves that it’s one of the best guitar necks they have ever played, regardless of cost, period. The one piece of roasted maple, bone nut, perfectly finished and edged stainless medium jumbo frets and compound radii carve(7.25” to 9.5”) are suppose to be absolute state of the art. Unheard of at this price point guitar.

You know Rocky, my son is a Danny-boy too! I don’t remember if I ever told you that?
All the best,
frank
Old 07-30-2022, 05:14 PM

Very cool thing to do Chickee. I hear these guitars punch way above their cost and the necks and fret work are stellar.

Have you played it yet? If so, what are your thoughts? How are the pickups? If they need an upgrade, I would highly suggest looking at Bootstrap pickups. About $50 for a set of tele pickups and they are as good as most out there. Hand wound in a littleo ol garage in the US of A.

I've used a few tele and strat sets and to be honest, they have put some very highly rated, boteek pups to shame.

Anyway, very nice looking guitar and your son will be a happy man! Can I call you dad?
Old 07-30-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Very cool thing to do Chickee. I hear these guitars punch way above their cost and the necks and fret work are stellar.

Have you played it yet? If so, what are your thoughts? How are the pickups? If they need an upgrade, I would highly suggest looking at Bootstrap pickups. About $50 for a set of tele pickups and they are as good as most out there. Hand wound in a littleo ol garage in the US of A.

I've used a few tele and strat sets and to be honest, they have put some very highly rated, boteek pups to shame.

Anyway, very nice looking guitar and your son will be a happy man! Can I call you dad?
Guitar is supposed to arrive Wednesday. Im looking forward to trying it out. Ive heard of those pickups a few times on the forum. They get reviews very similar to yours! You can’t call me dad because i have to call you Poppa!!!!😹😂😹😂😹
Old 07-30-2022, 07:21 PM

What an absolutely cool thing to do for your son. I’ll be anxious to see pics of the finished project and hear how your son likes it.

Yer a good dad!

Roger
Old 07-30-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
What an absolutely cool thing to do for your son. I’ll be anxious to see pics of the finished project and hear how your son likes it.

Yer a good dad!

Roger
I’m a very lucky man, Roger. I have a son and a daughter that have grown into good, honest, hard working human beings. Compassionate, caring of their fellow man, always generous and ready to give to those who have not as much. These little things I get to do for them as adults is icing on the cake for me!
Thanks for the nod, Roger.
frank d.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Hi Frank,

How terrific that you get to do this for your son and know that he will appreciate it! It looks like a fun project and a really nice guitar! I like your mods very much! It's going to be a fun guitar!

- Glenn
Old 07-31-2022, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Frank,

How terrific that you get to do this for your son and know that he will appreciate it! It looks like a fun project and a really nice guitar! I like your mods very much! It's going to be a fun guitar!

- Glenn
Yes Glenn, talk about a common interest, my son appreciates guitars as much as i do! And he likes taking an average instrument and putting that fine point on it, while also making it very personalized in the process.

These very basic mods elevate the tactile feel and playing stability greatly before deciding if electronic upgrades would be a need.

My son just two days ago started talking about a stunning Fender MIM Precision Bass i did over for him, we figured it was about fifteen years ago, that is still a solid player. Little mods make such a big difference sometimes.
Stay well Glenn.
frank
Old 07-31-2022, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Good stuff Chickee from a fellow garden stater…

Your kids are lucky.

Ps I bought a cheap Harley Benton, and I should just send it to you! Anyways the idea is the same as yours. mod/tweak/adjust and gift it.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
You know Rocky, my son is a Danny-boy too! I don’t remember if I ever told you that?
All the best,
frank
That's great Frank, my dad told me that I was named after the song Danny Boy
Old 07-31-2022, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Good stuff Chickee from a fellow garden stater…

Your kids are lucky.

Ps I bought a cheap Harley Benton, and I should just send it to you! Anyways the idea is the same as yours. mod/tweak/adjust and gift it.
Any time Sal. We can break bread, turn some wrenches and release another beautiful guitar out into the wild!!!
All the best, Sal
frank d.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:10 AM

I decided not to go with the Smokey Chrome standard size Gotoh’s and changed my order to the Chrome staggered mini lockers instead. Unlike my Stratocaster with the big honking CBS headstock, I think ergonomically these will look and perform better on the smaller, more trimmed down tele sized headstock without introducing any neck dive.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:44 AM

Hey Frank, looks like it's going to be a great player guitar! I've read many positive reviews on EART over the past few months. They also make a Les Paul type guitar (among others) that have been positively received.

Enjoy your time with your son!
Old 07-31-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Frank, looks like it's going to be a great player guitar! I've read many positive reviews on EART over the past few months. They also make a Les Paul type guitar (among others) that have been positively received.

Enjoy your time with your son!
Thank you Dru! I’m really looking forward to seeing him this summer.
frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars