The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-25-2022, 07:14 PM

Default Anybody interested in a 1960 Les Paul

A bargain at twice the price.

https://guitars.com/inventory/eb7196...-paul-standard
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-25-2022, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Lessee...Buy a house? Buy a guitar? Buy a house? Buy a guitar?
Old 07-25-2022, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Wow!

$315,000! Uhhh... I may have to pass on this one!

- Glenn
Old 07-25-2022, 08:52 PM

IMO he's about $40K out of line on this one; not too long ago Norman's had a dead-mint-with-tags/NOS-condition unfaded flametop '60 @ $325K, and he was sitting on it for a long time. Credit where credit is due to the good Mr. Gruhn (as well as Messrs. Jay and Werbin) for helping to establish the vintage-guitar industry, but quite honestly I always found his prices on the high side vis-a-vis other equally-reputable/knowledgeable dealers on comparable-rarity/condition items...
Old 07-25-2022, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the market decides the value of a guitar like this. If it doesn't sell at the high price of $350K, the price eventually gets lowered until somebody decides they are willing to buy it.

I imagine the seller is thinking that the only way to know what the guitar is worth is to set the price high, and then if it doesn't sell, slowly lower the price until you find out where the selling point is.

I am guessing that most of us here aren't into this kind of collecting, so we are pretty much looking in from the outside.

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2022, 07:58 AM

very optimistic seller!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-26-2022, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
IMO he's about $40K out of line on this one; not too long ago Norman's had a dead-mint-with-tags/NOS-condition unfaded flametop '60 @ $325K, and he was sitting on it for a long time. Credit where credit is due to the good Mr. Gruhn (as well as Messrs. Jay and Werbin) for helping to establish the vintage-guitar industry, but quite honestly I always found his prices on the high side vis-a-vis other equally-reputable/knowledgeable dealers on comparable-rarity/condition items...
Steve, how well do you think a brand new, top-of-the-line, Gibson Custom Shop modern equivalent model would compare to this 1960 Les Paul Standard as far as tone, build quality, etc.?
Of course, a modern equivalent model wouldn't have original PAF humbuckers and other original hardware but likely the savings would be around $300K.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-26-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Steve, how well do you think a brand new, top-of-the-line, Gibson Custom Shop modern equivalent model would compare to this 1960 Les Paul Standard as far as tone, build quality, etc.?
Of course, a modern equivalent model wouldn't have original PAF humbuckers and other original hardware but likely the savings would be around $300K.
I'll let Steve give you his thoughts but mine are that you have a better chance to get an exceptional new Les Paul than a great 1960 model. The original PAF pickups were not consistent with their windings so some were overwound and others underwound which contributes to less consistent tonal aspects. Some of those PAFs were very bright.

Regardless, the '60 is a piece of history, along with the '58 and especially the '59. 1960 is the last year before Gibson discontinued the Les Paul and replaced it with the Les Paul "SG". Those three years of Les Pauls contributed to some amazing music that came out years later.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:42 AM

The difficulty that you have with old guitars in this price range is the variability in the quality of the sound. Not every vintage Les Paul sounds as good as Pearly Gates. Therefore it is very difficult to determine whether there is any level of value here.

The 1960 Les Paul Standards generally have the thinnest necks of the 3 models from 1958-60. However this is also not guaranteed. Each guitar has it's own personality. The bottom line is that you have to play several of them to appreciate the differences. Of course given the price tag and the relative scarcity of these instruments, good luck doing that.

My suspicion is that you could outfit an entire band with the money you would have to pay for this one guitar. And then you have to find a vintage Marshall Plexi to play it through. Not a simple or inexpensive proposition either. Good luck!
2022 Guild F-2512E
1985 Tokai Love Rock
Old 07-26-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I don’t think you buy this guitar to play. Unfortunately.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog26 View Post
The difficulty that you have with old guitars in this price range is the variability in the quality of the sound. Not every vintage Les Paul sounds as good as Pearly Gates. Therefore it is very difficult to determine whether there is any level of value here.

The 1960 Les Paul Standards generally have the thinnest necks of the 3 models from 1958-60. However this is also not guaranteed. Each guitar has it's own personality. The bottom line is that you have to play several of them to appreciate the differences. Of course given the price tag and the relative scarcity of these instruments, good luck doing that.

My suspicion is that you could outfit an entire band with the money you would have to pay for this one guitar. And then you have to find a vintage Marshall Plexi to play it through. Not a simple or inexpensive proposition either. Good luck!
Welcome to the AGF! Great first post.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I don’t think you buy this guitar to play. Unfortunately.
no.. ya don't. that's true..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-26-2022, 12:07 PM

I would play that sucker.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I am guessing that most of us here aren't into this kind of collecting, so we are pretty much looking in from the outside.

- Glenn
Yes for me I am way outside,, like in the wilderness,,, and its price is flying well over my head by about 20k feet (and I am 8k already ) so pushing Everest

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-31-2022, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'll let Steve give you his thoughts but mine are that you have a better chance to get an exceptional new Les Paul than a great 1960 model. The original PAF pickups were not consistent with their windings so some were overwound and others underwound which contributes to less consistent tonal aspects. Some of those PAFs were very bright.

Regardless, the '60 is a piece of history, along with the '58 and especially the '59. 1960 is the last year before Gibson discontinued the Les Paul and replaced it with the Les Paul "SG". Those three years of Les Pauls contributed to some amazing music that came out years later.
Thanks, Dru! Yeah, I get the whole nostalgia thing, and if I was a billionaire it wouldn't phase me to consider buying a guitar like the 1960 Les Paul in the ad. I guess if it is really worth its asking price of $315,000 on the collector's market, and I bought it, it could be sold for a goodly sum if I didn't like it and I could resume my search for a "holy grail."
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars