The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-29-2022, 11:22 AM

I like the idea of a bigger Bugera, Steve. At my age, however, I won’t be playing any more electric gigs. Plus they’re heavier than I need to be lugging around, even in the house.
Thanks for the suggestion, though. I wish these had been available 40 or so years ago.

Roger
Old 06-29-2022, 12:56 PM

Roger, what a great solution to your "ongoing struggle", picking up and setting up a Squire. Sounds like this is one you need to hang on to.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:02 PM

Brilliant solution. Fender’s lower cost instruments still sound great. I think it’s especially true for electrics - more so than for acoustics.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:38 PM

Thanks, yes, these are guitars that I’ll (or my wife will) just give to some aspiring young person when I finally strum my last chord. A guitar like this, well set up, is miles ahead of the first guitars I played in the late 50s/early 60s.

Roger
Old 06-30-2022, 10:19 AM

Even the low-end Squiers can get valid sounds, though it doesn't surprise me that you had to do a "deluxe setup" on one of the very cheapest ones, but the practical Leo Fender design makes that as easier than most.

As mentioned above, also a cost-effective modding platform.

And then the upper end Squiers are really wonderful instruments these days.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-30-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
I like the idea of a bigger Bugera, Steve. At my age, however, I won’t be playing any more electric gigs. Plus they’re heavier than I need to be lugging around, even in the house.
Thanks for the suggestion, though. I wish these had been available 40 or so years ago...
I'm with you on the weight and availability, Roger - I'm pushing the big seven-o and looking to unload my 65-pound '65 Super Reverb RI for just that reason, as well as the fact that I no longer need the big-house/outdoor-gig size and power; still need something that'll handle a small- to mid-size venue though, and the Bugera (which rides on a dolly these days) not only provides the tonal mojo I need - I can always DI for a bigger gig - but fits nicely in my Outback. FWIW I've been eyeing one of the ultra-lightweight Fender ToneMaster combos - or, if they ever get around to making a head version (like the 16-pound Bassman 800 hybrid), one of those and a separate lightweight cab...

When I started getting back into electric in the early-80's I would've loved a moderately-powered, full-featured all-tube amp that didn't cost an arm, a leg, and a couple other highly-useful appendages , and while Sovtek tried to fill that gap the serendipitous combination of quality Chinese manufacture, along with reasonably cheap tubes sourced from both China and the former Soviet-bloc countries, was still a quarter-century in the future; still had my old '64 Ampeg top-panel/no 'verb Rocket for the small gigs, a Music Man 410-65 and Randall RB-120 (which doubled as my bass amp) for the outdoor shows and 1000+ seat houses I was playing at the time - didn't want to shell out the bucks for a mid-powered tube amp, eventually made do with a couple Peaveys and some speaker swaps, but I really could have used something like the V22 had it been available (probably would have cost $175-200 back then to boot - about what I paid for the Peavey Bandit 65 I bought later in the decade)...

FYI I learned long ago "never say never" when it comes to playing out. When my wife and I (both lifelong CCM/P&W musicians who worked with a number of congregations over the last 50+ years) retired in 2016 and joined the local senior center's uke group, we encountered some fellow lifetime musicians - two guys whose bands were fixtures on the local club circuit in the '70s, and a lady whose roots went back to the early-60's Greenwich Village coffeehouse days; long story short, we put together what was to be a one-shot group that soon morphed into a fairly successful country-rock band - until the unfortunate combination of the 2020 lockdown and hostile outside forces put an end to things (a story for another day...). That said, we're still hanging in there - got some former compadres who relocated and found success in their new digs, and we're looking forward to doing the same in the not-too-distant future, whether as church musicians or in the club scene...

"You're never too old to be the person you were meant to be" - John Lennon

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-30-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:15 PM

Some interesting parallels, Steve. I’m a bit older, at 76, but still feel (and act) like a kid. My wife is equally energetic, a retired pastor. I’m active in my (revived since I retired from business) fine art career (painting).

I used a twin reverb, had a Music Man or two, an Ampeg, and loved my Peavy Bandit. I would like to have another Bandit except for, again, the weight. I think I’ve owned 200+ guitars of all stripes since I started playing in the late 50s. Ah, to go back for just a day…..

Not gigging now, but would if the opportunity came up.

Oh, and I drive an Outback.

Appreciate the conversation, Steve.

Roger
Old 06-30-2022, 02:31 PM

Of the five instruments that I own, only the one is a magnetic pickup Tele style that I play through a Supro Delta King.

Sometimes I think about selling the whole set up. I've only have one other plug in, a Godin Multitac, I've got a Fishman I use for that.

But then again if I sold, when would I be able to do my Keith Richards impression.

It's always kind of in the back of my mind that I could sell it if.......
But I haven't gone there yet....
Old 06-30-2022, 03:25 PM

How do you like the Supro amp, mjh42? I’ve been checking prices on those but there are not too many around here right now. Would like to play the 10 to see how it sounds.

Roger
Old 06-30-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Roger, I recently have bought Squier CV Strats and Teles. They are fantastic! Congrats…
Old 06-30-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
How do you like the Supro amp, mjh42? I’ve been checking prices on those but there are not too many around here right now. Would like to play the 10 to see how it sounds.

Roger

I have the DK 12. For me it was an affordable new tube amp. Was also looking at the Fender Blues Jr. IV.

What sold me on the DK. I dunno?? Reviews, sound heard online, size, wanted more than 10 but no more than 20wts, looks, on board reverb, gain boost-I don't actually use that hardly.

For my at home playing it's been great. 15w is all I should ever really need. I don't go to crazy with pedals. A little overdrive, a little delay now and then, a little reverb, a little equalization. I'm good.

I did also look at the Bugera V22 as well and I have access to a Fender Mustang GTX 100 and a Vox mini5--my son's amps but I wanted a small tube amp and the DK fits the bill for me.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:56 AM

I'm kind of a perpetual beginner so I don't have the most educated opinion, so factor that in... That said, the Squier guitars I have seem pretty amazing for the money.

I don't have a Bullet, but my first guitar ever was a Squier Affinity Telecaster that I gout a couple years ago. I knew zero about guitars at the time but thought it was pretty nice for $190... especially since I got it on sale for $140! Currently, they are about $260 MSRP and people still seem to buy them.

Later I got my hands on some somewhat nicer guitars including a Squier Vintage Modified bass, and a G&L Tribute strat-style guitar. The Squier VM quality, which seems fantastic, seems **** close to the more expensive G&L. But neither make me want to throw out the Affinity.

I have also seen some good stuff at the low end in Ibanez. And I have a fretless electric bass by Sx, a total no-name brand, that is shockingly thoroughly decent.

I know more about electrics than acoustics... I need to find the acoustic equivalent of a Squier Affinity or CV, so I can replace my beater dreadnaught with something a bit nicer.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
...I have also seen some good stuff at the low end in Ibanez...
IME if you're looking for an entry-level (under $600) hollowbody/semi-hollow Ibanez owns this end of the market - and yeah, I've played all the Epiphone/Gretsch/Squier offerings; I've also owned three Ibanez basses (still own two, traded my first one on a Pedulla) and a rare MIJ R001 cedar/EIR acoustic - good stuff across the board, and I'm still sorry I sold the acoustic...
Old 07-01-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
IME if you're looking for an entry-level (under $600) hollowbody/semi-hollow Ibanez owns this end of the market - and yeah, I've played all the Epiphone/Gretsch/Squier offerings; I've also owned three Ibanez basses (still own two, traded my first one on a Pedulla) and a rare MIJ R001 cedar/EIR acoustic - good stuff across the board, and I'm still sorry I sold the acoustic...
Have you tried anything by Jackson? I've always been wary of anything budget with a cheap Floyd Rose type tremolo on it, but they do make some hard tails too. I've been impressed with what I've run accross.

I used to have a 2007ish Bullet Strat that I took to oilpatch work camps in northern Canada, and played through a Pandora box into headphones to unwind after work. It was real noisy and finicky to tune, but it did sound good and I ended up using it for alot of recording later on.

I currently own a HH Affinity Tele, its deffinately a step up from the old Strat. For what it costs and how good it sounds/ plays I cant see ever spending the money for a Epiphone LP again. I've owned a few of those over the years, and for half the price that Tele Deluxe is really close.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Have you tried anything by Jackson?
The only Jackson semi-hollows I'm familiar with are the old Surfcasters (recently reissued by Eastwood) - which I liked BTW - but they haven't made those in years...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars