The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-11-2022, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Hi, there are two common guitar playing positions for playing seated.
There is the classical/flamenco position with the lower bout of the guitar resting in the lap and the fretting hand high.

The "western" style with the waist of the guitar resting on the right upper leg (assuming Right handed playing.

I don't understand why these supports and other accessories are deemed necessary.

Wouldn't it simply be better and more healthy to learn correct playing posture?

What am I missing?
Old 06-12-2022, 07:53 AM

I never really got into leg cushions, to be honest. But just to bring this up, in case you haven't tried it before.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005QKNU...HEWSPAK4CBNZA6

Just play around with all the options mentioned here and see whichever is most comfortable. I've crushed foot rests by accident too, but right now I have a high-quality sturdy one by "On Stage Stands" that does the job

Best Flamenco Guitar Costing Under 1000 ?! Juan Montes vs Navarro
https://youtu.be/7D08ZEY4-5s

Flamenco Arpeggio Falseta (lesson with TABS)
https://youtu.be/ZIZPllPFTTs

www.youtube.com/francisgrant1
Old 06-12-2022, 08:07 AM

I've got a Dynarette cushion and at least two "mechanical" supports, as well as a couple of fold up foot rests. Never had a problem with my back (or other body parts) with a foot rest, but found a better solution (for me). I use a shoe shine box, similar to the picture below, picked them up for a few $$$ at tag sales (some even still had polish and stuff in them). In my case, their height is just right, but the ones with the risers on the bottom can be easily replaced or altered, probably even find a way to have removeable and replaceable feet. Won't collapse like a folding stand, and there's room inside for extra strings, small tools, a tuner, etc.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:31 AM

Wow, that’s a great idea, Brad, though it’s a bit high for me. Good thinkin’!
Old 06-12-2022, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
There is the classical/flamenco position with the lower bout of the guitar resting in the lap and the fretting hand high.

The "western" style with the waist of the guitar resting on the right upper leg (assuming Right handed playing.

I don't understand why these supports and other accessories are deemed necessary.

What am I missing?
I think they are mostly addressing the classical position here, with the guitar resting on the left leg. In that position, as you point out, the fretting hand needs to be high. The easiest and most "classical" way to do that is by propping the guitar up, either from the leg via foot stool, or using one of those gadgets.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-12-2022, 08:38 AM

I ordered a Dynarette S a couple of months ago and loved it from the first time I used it. Doesn't slip, and gets the guitar up without getting the knee up, particularly useful when using an unfamiliar chair or when a footstool is impractical. It fits in my case(s), looks the part, and seems well made. At home in my swivel chair I'm accustomed to using a leg of the chair, but anywhere else I like the Dynarette. I realized after purchase that we have the skill and ability to make our own, but the convenience of purchase is hard to resist.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
I've got a Dynarette cushion and at least two "mechanical" supports, as well as a couple of fold up foot rests. Never had a problem with my back (or other body parts) with a foot rest, but found a better solution (for me). I use a shoe shine box, similar to the picture below, picked them up for a few $$$ at tag sales (some even still had polish and stuff in them). In my case, their height is just right, but the ones with the risers on the bottom can be easily replaced or altered, probably even find a way to have removeable and replaceable feet. Won't collapse like a folding stand, and there's room inside for extra strings, small tools, a tuner, etc.
Insert Goodfellas jokes here . . .

I've been using a large Dynarette cushion for many years (over a decade). I have a thin microfiber cloth that I place between the cushion and guitar, which improves the stability. I also use a foot stool at its lowest setting, which gets the leg + cushion in the best spot for me.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

What am I missing?
I think you're missing the fact that your "correct playing posture" isn't really very good posture for prolonged playing as your back is in a twisted form. Raising the guitar in the classical position without raising the leg gets the ergonomic benefits of the classical playing position while maintaining a good back posture.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:28 AM

Not really "leg cushion," but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Sagework guitar support.

It's easy to move from guitar to guitar, providing each guitar has the magnets, but I happen to have multiple copies of the support.

I haven't figured out a way to attach it to my old Aria Sinsonido yet.

Click to see photo
Old 06-14-2022, 10:41 AM

When one uses an attached rest, does he/she leave the rest on the guitar or take it off after each session? Either way sounds like a bit of a hassle to me. Do players have a rest for each different guitar?
Old 06-14-2022, 10:42 AM

Back issues from repetitive stress can manifest in different individuals in different ways.

I started out learning classical with a footstool. I did feel a little lower back fatigue after an hour of practice but didn't think much of it.

Then I took a few lessons with a teacher in his 70s. He said his spine had suffered from using a footstool over the years which was why he needed a cane.

The following week, I bought my first guitar support (a Dynarette).
Old 06-14-2022, 10:49 AM

But do you leave them on, or take them of after each session?
Old 06-14-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
When one uses an attached rest, does he/she leave the rest on the guitar or take it off after each session? Either way sounds like a bit of a hassle to me. Do players have a rest for each different guitar?
I don't know about other guitar supports.

Re. the Sagework, it's attached by magnets so attachment/removal is as simple as it can get. Not only simple, it is also consistent. The position of the support remains the same every time.

It takes about 3 seconds to attach or to remove the support, including the time to pick it up or to look for a place to put it down.

The catch is that each guitar must have the magnets installed inside the soundbox.

I happens to have multiple copies of the Sagework. The one for the Yamaha Silent Guitar is pretty much 'permanently' attached. The ones for acoustic guitars stay or come off depending on how I want the guitar to look on the hook.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
But do you leave them on, or take them of after each session?
Always on. My guitars have polyurethane finishes so the suction cups will not harm them. It is recommended that the support be removed from high-end guitars with French Polish or nitro finishes.

I will remove the Gitano if I expect to be away for two weeks. I know that the ErgoPlay suction cups have held fast for 2 months.

Guitars in the central outpost
Old 06-15-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaprism View Post
Re. the Sagework, it's attached by magnets so attachment/removal is as simple as it can get.
If I had a guitar with a nitro or French Polish finish, I would probably use the Sagework.

It's about 2-3 times the price of an ErgoPlay but that's small compared to having to refinish the marks that would likely be caused by suction cups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical