The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-01-2022, 08:19 AM

As others have said, not sure nationals/resonators where even generally in style except for relatively specific uses. I bought a used national brass tricone maybe 8 years ago and the exaggerated dynamics and different sounds I could pull out of it really changed my playing for the better. I use it to play just about all styles of music, but I generally play slack key. It took me a few years to find a used model at a price I could afford / was willing to pay. Not sure why it was priced so low. It was as if the shop did not know what it had, or really didn’t think it would sell. I am constantly window shopping for another used national. Seems like the price of even used nationals has skyrocketed out of my price range…. Glad I was able to get one.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm curious why this thread was moved to 'Other Musical Instruments'. A resophonic guitar is still an acoustic guitar right?
Old 05-01-2022, 09:58 AM

Oddly enough, I’ve been playing my Style O-knockoff much more often recently. Enough so that I replaced the Asian cone with a NRP Hot Rod, which went a long way to improving the sound. Still not a National, though.
Eastman MDA-315
2021 Karsten Schnoor Custom B&D Style 5 tenor banjo
2019 Schnoor Weymann (orphaned pot) conversion
1958 Gibson ES-125T
1967 Emmons GS-10
1976 Fender Telecaster (“Ohmygodthisweighsaton”)
Lots and lots of other stuff
Old 05-01-2022, 10:51 AM

Mike Dowling has long championed National resophonics, specifically the wood-body, single-cone El Trovador--he played a 1930s example and eventually encouraged the company to reissue that model. Mike would play pretty much the whole range of his repertory on his El Trovador.

Partly thanks to Mike's example and partly on the advice of Curtis Teague (of Twin Cities duo Curtis & Loretta), I bought a second-hand National M-1, the tricone cousin of the El Trovador. Curtis is a multi-instrumentalist, and he would bring to gigs an M-1 as his only guitar. He told me (and proceded to demonstrate) that it is a very adaptable instrument. I play mine every week at a jam where loudness counts, but it works fine in more forgiving environments, for pretty much any genre I play in--it's not just a blues machine.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:51 PM

It's a hard question, but I don't think Nationals have gone out of fashion. There's quite a busy subculture on social media of people who are mad about them.
Mule guitars getting some limelight and showing up in players' hands over the past few years helped make resonators more visible too.
That said, new prices on National Resophonic guitars have gone up - like a lot of other guitars, sure, but when you get into three, four thousand dollars or euros for a guitar, that's way out of most people's budgets.
I've had a few Nationals in the past, new ones and old, and after a while without one I was lucky to find a good-as-new condition five year old NRP recently and I'm really happy with it. It was local so I got to try it out first and it really spoke to me. A Radiotone Bendaway, the ugly runt of the litter or misunderstood jewel, depending on how you feel about their range. No way I would have been able to pay the new price though.

Good to see Adam Franklin above in Mr Silly Moustache's post, he's a great player and teacher and a funny guy. He really shows how good a National can sound with his style of playing, and he's learnt a lot from people like Blind Boy Fuller and Tampa Red that used to play them back in the day.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:24 PM

The newer Nationals I have had are high quality, while some of the older ones....not much - eg. my old National Trojan!

What about some vids?

National Reso factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMbND5_Y3M

National coverplate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7VqAHcxr4

Getting the neck right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwAyAObu3GA

BluesKing777.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:29 PM

Just worth mentioning that must not forget Jerry Douglas when discussing resonator guitars. Jerry Douglas is to resonator guitars what Tommy Emmanuel is to acoustic guitars. And, since Jerry Douglas is the face of resonator guitars in this modern age, I think we can safely say that resonator guitars are clearly not out of fashion.

Disclaimer: I personally have and play both square neck and round neck resonators and sometimes play blues slide on my acoustic guitar…so my perspective is biased about resonator guitars.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff
Old 05-01-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
I'm curious why this thread was moved to 'Other Musical Instruments'. A resophonic guitar is still an acoustic guitar right?
I think if the thread header and specified "round-neck" resonator it might have been left in the main forum. A lot of people equate "resonator" with "square-neck" though. Hence it being moved here.

My round-neck Rayco has a wood body and has a spider cone, while most Nations -wood or metal - have biscuits or tricones. I fingerpick it a lot just like I do my wood bodied non-resonators. It has a different, interesting and lovely voice. Very different from the standard sixers.

Round neck resonators have always been a bit niche, particularly when it comes to more popular music. More common in forms like blues, county and old time music.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Ok good point but I always think of square neck resonators as Dobros even though I know that is a brand name. Anyway not a big deal, thanks for the reply to my question.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Just don’t read much lately about them.....have they gone out of style? (Even when I first started, it was a bit ‘out there’, now?)
I’m not sure that resonator mandolins were ever in style, but there are certain applications where my National RM-1 is unsurpassed.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:39 PM

I'd love to try a wood body National Resorocket - here is Steve James and his sig models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvMTEdprfFs

BluesKing777.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Yesterday, I played my National M14 wood body single cone reso and today I played my National Tricone all steel black body.......what incredible sounds, bottleneck.

Just don’t read much lately about them.....have they gone out of style? (Even when I first started, it was a bit ‘out there’, now?)

BluesKing777.
Not around my house BK!
Old 05-06-2022, 08:20 PM

Just to throw in a comment from way out in left field the resonator is alive and well in the short scale 4 string world as well.

As others have mentioned the affordability of the National instruments is a challenge......though used ones can be had....
Old 05-06-2022, 08:49 PM

On a closely related matter, the button on the top of my absolute fave black National Reso hat broke years ago and I asked the Better Half to take it to some kind of repair person in the city where she worked.

She brought it home because nobody wanted to do it...but she put the bag with the hat in the lost clothes pile in the spare room.....lost! All lost.

So earlier this year asked her to find it and I will fix it. I made a button out of foam with some black gaffa tape, impaled it on the little spike on top of the hat and..........it looks stupid!

I may persist and get someone to fix it, or buy the only one left in the world currently......

(but I do think the various guitar logo hats I own in my little collection correlate with the guitar maker.....my National is a great fit, my Gibson is a bit little and blows off in light winds, my Maton is as good as a beanie in the wind almost.....and I don’t own a Martin hat or a Lowden hat though I own Martins and Lowdens.............though Grand Prix weekend in Miami demands I wear my Ferrari hat!)

BluesKing777.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
On a closely related matter, the button on the top of my absolute fave black National Reso hat broke years ago and I asked the Better Half to take it to some kind of repair person in the city where she worked.

So earlier this year asked her to find it and I will fix it. I made a button out of foam with some black gaffa tape, impaled it on the little spike on top of the hat and..........it looks stupid!

I may persist and get someone to fix it, or buy the only one left in the world currently......

BluesKing777.
Motor vehicle seat upholstery shops will have what you need. You can also buy those same type of buttons at fabric and hobby shops.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments