The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-12-2022, 02:19 PM

Default Anyone see Lyle Lovett on this current tour

I was on site all day yesterday prepping the 7’ Yamaha grand piano for Lyle Lovett currently on a nationwide tour with his Large Band, tight brass section, wonderful gospel feel from his backing vocalists, and oh yeah Leland Sklar on bass and Russ Kunkel drums , search them both they have played with everyone and I mean everyone from the ‘70’s to now very impressive.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:28 AM

What could have been an exceptional career, Lovett never achieved the grandiose worldwide or national attention and acceptance as the cowboy super star he truly deserved. As a performer, singer-songwriter, bandleader, his presence on the circuit was and has always been mediocre at best.

The biggest hiccup in his rise to fame, what I feel was the beginning of the end for his climb to the top, was the involvement with Julia Robert’s, Hollywood’s girl next door super star. He became the punchline of jokes and a quirky looking side kick to the mega star, silver screen beauty, never to regain his footing and strength as an A list level musician on his own merits.

Now, much older and road worn from a lifetime traversing the continental USA to earn a living, Lovett delivers that big world class Texas swing band and soulful vocal delivery live on stage that can still break your heart right in half.

He is a national treasure in my book and always will be.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

After having been tipped off by a post someone made here, I followed Sklar's video log on YouTube of the tour in which he showed you the back stage areas of many of the the famed venues, introduced you to the crew and, most importantly, showed you what was for lunch. Mr. Sklar is a true gentleman. And he has a quick wit.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:07 AM

Hey! I just saw Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt together this week (October 12, 2023). They traded songs and conversation with no band or anyone accompanying them. It was a great show in an old theater environment. I enjoyed it more than when I've seen LL and the Large band before.

Some people complained that they talked too much and played too little, but I really enjoyed hearing their stories, and it was great to see to old pros doing the tuning of their own guitars without roadies. I learned that LL uses fingerpicks, and John Hiatt used to play in Ry Cooder's band.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:44 AM

Leland Sklar makes wonderful little videos. Scroll back for the series documenting the Lyle tour.

https://lelandsklarsbeard.com/videos/
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-17-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
He is a national treasure in my book and always will be.
He is for me as well. I know a lot of folks over the years have asked me what I think the best sonic recording is. A lot of folks of my generation mention Dark Side of the Moon and perhaps as often Steely Dan's Aja. For me, Joshua Judges Ruth is the most pleasing, sonic masterpiece of a recording I've yet encountered. That coupled with the songwriting makes it my favorite album ever.

I've seen him in concert many times over the years and his wit and demeanor are just marvelous. Such a treat. If there's anyone here who hasn't yet seen a Lyle Lovett concert it comes with my absolute highest recommendation.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
He is for me as well. I know a lot of folks over the years have asked me what I think the best sonic recording is. A lot of folks of my generation mention Dark Side of the Moon and perhaps as often Steely Dan's Aja. For me, Joshua Judges Ruth is the most pleasing, sonic masterpiece of a recording I've yet encountered. That coupled with the songwriting makes it my favorite album ever.

I've seen him in concert many times over the years and his wit and demeanor are just marvelous. Such a treat. If there's anyone here who hasn't yet seen a Lyle Lovett concert it comes with my absolute highest recommendation.
Ditto. Growing up in the Houston area in the 80s, and attending Texas A&M, I have followed the guy with crazy hair most of his career. (did not know of REK's front porch, or would have most definitely wasted my college days there!)

Chickee's comments are very interesting, and probably spot on. Lyle is one of the most under-rated musicians alive today. Its worth noting, that his is also one of many successful Guy Clark proteges, along with Rodney Crowell, Vince Gill, Darrell Scott...to name a few.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-17-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Ditto. Growing up in the Houston area in the 80s, and attending Texas A&M, I have followed the guy with crazy hair most of his career. (did not know of REK's front porch, or would have most definitely wasted my college days there!)

Chickee's comments are very interesting, and probably spot on. Lyle is one of the most under-rated musicians alive today. Its worth noting, that his is also one of many successful Guy Clark proteges, along with Rodney Crowell, Vince Gill, Darrell Scott...to name a few.
Yea this is hitting close to home. Rodney Crowell is right up there with Lyle. The Houston Kid album has some of the best sounding acoustic guitars ever. Still wonder how they did that. Darrell Scott is perhaps more under-rated than Lyle. His tune "Someday" still gets me to the core.

Before I came out to Los Angeles I worked in Nashville and had a close friend signed to the then newly revived Decca Records (a subsidiary of MCA) and managed to run into Vince from time to time. He was always so very cordial and always smiling. I really didn't get to know him but from afar he seemed endlessly nice. For talent, he made very well be the most talented of the contemporary country artist

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN