The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-08-2022, 09:10 AM

Default Photos of wood sets for custom builds

I have 7 custom builds underway in various stages. Osthoff build photos posted separately. For the other 6 I have moved into sourcing the wood myself. Sharing some photos. These sets are in the hands of 4 separate builders and in various stages of completion (or waiting to be started).

Incredible set of Bubinga.

Cocobolo

Rosewood (Dalbergia Spruceana)
Dalbergia Spruceana is described by forestry service as being nearly indistinguishable from Braziian rosewood, D. nigra, only a slight difference in density (spruceana is slightly denser, and a difference in fluorescence of shavings dissolved in water).

2 sets of Fiddleback Eastern Black Walnut

Cuban Mahogany
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bubinga1.jpg (51.3 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg Bubinga2.jpg (34.2 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Bubinga3.jpg (30.0 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Bubinga4.jpg (29.5 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg Cocobolo1.jpg (49.1 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Rosewood.jpg (36.2 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg WalnutA1.jpg (45.9 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg WalnutA2.jpg (24.6 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg Walnut B1.jpg (42.7 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Cuban1.jpg (35.5 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Cuban2.jpg (40.9 KB, 384 views)

Last edited by richsd; 08-08-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

All gorgeous figured sets - especially drawn to the Cuban Mahogany set!
Old 08-08-2022, 11:17 AM

I have no love for the Cocobolo set, I see it as problematic bending the sides and unless pampered in its life, cracks in its future. Wish you luck with it (I know people shy away of commenting negatively on 'highly figured' wood but structurally it is not the best choice, especially crackabola).
Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I have no love for the Cocobolo set, I see it as problematic bending the sides and unless pampered in its life, cracks in its future. Wish you luck with it (I know people shy away of commenting negatively on 'highly figured' wood but structurally it is not the best choice, especially crackabola).
Yes, this was a concern I had but wanted to give it a try. If it cracks in the bending process then I will have one less guitar which is no problem. This one is with John Osthoff actually. I had him inspect it and give me his thoughts on the possibilities. He gave it the thumbs up. Will see what happens when he starts working on it and see if I end up with a guitar or a pretty piece of cracked wood.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Do you have a particular sound goal in mind? I wouldn't get anything that wasn't well quartered in the rosewood family.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Do you have a particular sound goal in mind? I wouldn't get anything that wasn't well quartered in the rosewood family.
Yes, I love rosewood and have so many incredible rosewoods from Goodall, Bourgeois, Huss and Dalton, Bedell, and others. Brazilians, Madagascars, Honduran rosewood, EIR, Bolivian, etc.... This is more of an exploration into some other woods since I tend to rosewood most often. This rosewood set is killer and the builder is expecting some incredible sound. Last time I branched away from rosewood I bought an Emerald carbon fiber and then got hooked on those. Should be a fun process to see what these other woods bring.

Last edited by richsd; 08-08-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsd View Post
Yes, I love rosewood and have so many incredible rosewoods from Goodall, Bourgeois, Huss and Dalton, Bedell, and others. Brazilians, Madagascars, Honduran rosewood, EIR, Bolivian, etc.... This is more of an exploration into some other woods since I tend to rosewood most often. This rosewood set is killer and the builder is expecting some incredible sound. Last time I branched away from rosewood I bought an Emerald carbon fiber and then got hooked on those. Should be a fun process to see what these other woods bring.
The walnut sets are really pretty. 3123 would be my choice of the sets you have posted.

I wouldn’t opt for either of the two cocobolo sets. I prefer plainer looking wood and try to avoid anything that isn’t quartersawn. I’m no wood expert, but I’ve heard from enough builders to avoid flatsawn rosewood that I steer clear.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsd View Post
Yes, this was a concern I had but wanted to give it a try. If it cracks in the bending process then I will have one less guitar which is no problem. This one is with John Osthoff actually. I had him inspect it and give me his thoughts on the possibilities. He gave it the thumbs up. Will see what happens when he starts working on it and see if I end up with a guitar or a pretty piece of cracked wood.
I can see it being used for something like a dread, the bend angles are not too bad. The back can be mitigated by keeping the guitar in humidity close to the building value. I would prefer seeing these trees grow long enough that they may make for a less temperamental guitar but who can wait for another 50 years?
Old 08-08-2022, 02:14 PM

Yes will be a dread for sure. That is mostly what I play. John Osthoff has the wood at his shop and is keeping stored as he sees best. Probably won’t build this one for a few years. Some of the others are underway or soon to be started. John is working on a Brazilian for me and I doubt it will be any time soon that he gets to this one.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

I particularly like the look of the walnut. And it should give you a nice tonal contrast to your rosewood guitars. Mine (in Claro walnut) certainly does.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I think the 1st walnut set, #1991, is really nice. I'd be drawn to pair that with a redwood top, or maybe Cedar since it's black walnut and not Claro.

I also really like Cuban Mahogany as a tonewood. I paired mine with Lutz Spruce, but occasionally wonder if Red Spruce might have been a bit better for my goals.

I sourced the wood for one of my commissions (Pernambuco) but I really doubt if I'd do that again. It turned out very well but providing your own wood may limit the builders that will agree to use it.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-10-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I think the 1st walnut set, #1991, is really nice. I'd be drawn to pair that with a redwood top, or maybe Cedar since it's black walnut and not Claro.

I also really like Cuban Mahogany as a tonewood. I paired mine with Lutz Spruce, but occasionally wonder if Red Spruce might have been a bit better for my goals.

I sourced the wood for one of my commissions (Pernambuco) but I really doubt if I'd do that again. It turned out very well but providing your own wood may limit the builders that will agree to use it.
Thanks Chuck. I do love redwood and cedar so thanks for the suggestion of pairing one of those with the black walnut.

Yes I wasn't sure if the builders would want to take wood that I sourced although all builders did agree. They also were able to inspect it and approve or give it the thumbs down. I certainly wouldn't want to move forward with a build if the builder didn't like the wood. With all of these sets I have builder agreement to move forward and high praise for the quality of wood.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Since access to cash is clearly not a stumbling block, it really didn’t matter if a particular wood or how the wood is cut is more likely to produce cracks.

Of the guitars i have owned and currently own, one of two i play the most, with figured Brazilian back and sides, was likely to crack, did crack, and sounds amazing. who cares. it’s still going to last hundreds of years.

the wood choices look wonderful, hope you have a blast playing them!

stuart.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:24 PM

Thanks Stuart. Yes, this is all for the enjoyment of the hobby and the process. Cracks or no cracks will just enjoy the ride.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:37 AM

It may not be the most flashy but I’m most drawn to the Cuban. It’s usually denser than Honduran and gives a nice unique flavor. I love walnut as well and those are some beautiful sets.

Thanks for the pics! Lovely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop