The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-14-2022, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
LOL!!! My playing technique would never be described as "pretty"!

I bet your Gibson would sound wonderful for Carter style flat picking for song accompaniment. Giving that sparce, bark behind the vocals and not "getting in the way" like a "pretty" guitar can.

Yep, I play a couple of Maybelle Carter things, only fingerstyle. The old Gibson is perfect. Can also sound more like Robert Johnson than Robert Johnson. Perfect for MSS John Hurt, Frank Stokes.

Horrible for fingerpicked versions of classic tunes, highlights a couple of notes that a beautiful guitar sound lets you get away with.....things like fingerpicked Yesterday with the vocal on guitar, Stardust, Phil Collins, James Taylor.......
So awful, it is probably pre punk!

BluesKing777.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I'm still torn. I know that an archtop won't be super versatile, but at least one with a deep body might give me some acoustic presence for fingerstyle. I also think a shallow body Gibson es-125 would be sweet solely for jazz and blues stuff which I'm getting into. I have a Les Paul special that's fine as well for this but I'd love to have that Charlie Christian sound.

I've seen K. Yairi arch tops that look like Gibson copies, for way cheaper. Wouldn't be able to play before purchase though.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyB View Post
As an owner of a Hofner archtop I can only offer the following advice:
Consider only carved or pressed solid wood tops, no laminates.
Arched back, many don't.
They demand a particular skill set to really make them work, not a great strummer.
I have posted this many times, but here is my 50s Hofner that I play daily.

Amen to demand a specific skill set, and not a great strummer

My 53 L-50 has a cool vibe, I kind of bluesy thunk it with thick pick, palm muting, bass runs, and sometimes slide in open and even standard tuning...doubt I ever hit 6 strings, or even 5, almost like a musical drum with highly percussive right hand

The 46 Deluxe is on a whole nuther level - of course it was made to play acoustically in big band jazz era, you can whomp it with thick strings or play it lighter, being a full carve when Epiphone was still top notch its a great guitar > just don't expect it to be a flat top

Archtops are more versatile than many people think, but you still have to adapt your touch, technique and approach to make it really work well
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops