The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-04-2022, 11:54 AM

Default Mitchell MU80 ukulele any good? There's one near me

Not that I was planning on buying another instrument this weekend, but my idle searching of Craigslist turned up a uke that might be worth getting.

It is a Mitchell MU80XCE-SM, which is a concert-sized model with a Fishman pickup. MU80s are going for $170 new and there is a used one with a soft case near me for $100.

https://mitchellguitars.com/mitchell...spalted-maple/

I cannot find a review on the MU80 but the lesser MU70 seems to be OK-ish for the money. I cannot tell if the MU80 is built any better though, or if its higher MSRP is simply due to prettier wood and the pickup. (MSRP is $240 vs $120, real world prices are always much less, I have no idea how meaningful it is.)

On another forum a poster said he believes the Mitchell MUs are basically the same as the Samick Greg Bennett ukes.

I don't need an elite instrument, just something decent. Should I consider good ol' GC house brand Mitchell, or save my hundred bucks?
Old 07-04-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I have one of those that I bought to play one song on a gig. it's an OK instrument, definitely worth $100.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:17 PM

That looks to be an all laminate instrument. It may not sound very good. These small instruments, IMHO, solid wood makes a bigger difference than the bigger instruments.

Since it's Craigslist, if it isn't too far, you can always go and play it. If it sounds good to you, who cares what brand or material.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:10 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I didn't make time to check it out today, if it's around next weekend, maybe. No big deal either way!
Old 07-06-2022, 11:17 AM

Kala makes some really nice lower cost or entry level ukes. They are usually in most stores. If you can, at least aim for a solid top uke, whatever brand you choose.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 07-06-2022, 11:36 AM

Thanks, I will be on the lookout for Kala too.

I check Craigslist for instruments frequently, you never know what you will find. I try to have a list of good candidates in mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments