The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-03-2022, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Default IS this possible? Showing only a specific area of Logic?

Three questions for my AGF Brothers. All three questions are relevant-dependent to each other.

1. Is it possible to show only a specific area of Logic Pro?

Going from this full screen =

To a targeted area = Showing in the largest size possible in the monitor?

2. And if this is possible...How do I do this and is there then a Quick way( a command key or something of the sorts?) To flip back and forth between my desired targeted area and Logic in its normal full version?

3. I am back to thinking about buying a Second Monitor. For a while I was thinking of taking fellow AGF members suggestion about using a Tablet to view my recording levels while tracking( as I face the opposite direction of my computer when tracking) . A Table is lighter and I could mount it on a mic stand.

However after much consideration, taking into mind my lower budget and some of the problems with connecting an non Mac Android through an apt...I am once again back into a Second monitor mode. A monitor that I could just move via a long wire.

The second monitor would serve two purposes. When using my Symphonic & reverb plugs ins..I could place all of my plugs ins on the second monitor. Freeing up space so I can clearing see everything that is going on in Logic.

The other purpose would be to see my Recording levels when tracking. I would simply move the second monitor to be straight in front of me.

I have purchased my main monitor and it is suppose to be great color. Costing around $400. That will be great as I can do a little photo editing on it as well.
But I certainly don't need color accuracy for my second monitor do I? And it seems there are lots of Monitors in the $100 to $130 range ( my budget) that are reviewed to be good.

I still have a $50 gift certificate left at Best Buy. But Amazon is also having sales...

So what do I really need, Inputs & Quality wise for my second monitor? I need dependability...but other than that I don't think I need any high quality do I?
There is a slight benefit to a smaller monitor as I can move it easier. But is that really all that important since I am only moving it six feet away from where its normal position will be on the desktop?

Here are a few options I am seeing.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-ka...?skuId=6471521
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6420870

On the light side this one might make sense when I am tracking? But then again...a Bigger screen will be so much better for all of my plug in's when it is side by side on my desk.
https://www.amazon.com/13-3-inch-Por...878716&sr=8-10
Old 07-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Eric Skye

Command 2 opens the mixer in it's own detached window. However, I don't think you can re-size it. But I still find this useful just to bring it front and center of my single monitor.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Command 2 opens the mixer in it's own detached window. However, I don't think you can re-size it. But I still find this useful just to bring it front and center of my single monitor.
Thanks Eric,

This is useful information. I still have learn more about Detaching...I just became familiar with this term an hour or so in a conversion with my brother.

He mentioned detaching and creating a separate window. And thus...I can move that detached apt and move it to another screen while still keeping it up on my main screen.

This still could become helpful. As then I could possibly?- move the detached Logic pro area that I wish to see, to the middle of the screen? While it doesn't enlarge, at least it might put it center mass.

I Know there are ways to resize the Logic. But maybe only make it smaller?(I will have to research this) If I can resize it bigger then this would effectively be the same as blowing it up. Question is if you can resize in the detached window without effecting the Logic Pro.

How do you use this Detach feature Eric?
Old 07-04-2022, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Not meant to be snarky, but Studio One enables very flexible detachment and resizing of DAW elements within the same screen or over multiple screens.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-04-2022, 11:12 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
How do you use this Detach feature Eric?
Again, I just like to detach the mixer sometimes just to have it more the middle of the screen for whatever reason. Not all the time though.

I haven't explored it, but you might be able to re-size via zooming on the mac it's self in "Accessibility" under System Preferences? I really don't know. Maybe do a deep dive on that online..
Old 07-05-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I don't use Logic but the comments about "detach" make me suspect that like Studio One you can separate the mixer section from the edit window ?

So with two displays that will get you to being able to have the mixer and edit windows on different displays . Then you can "Expand to full screen" on Mac OS this can be accessed by either clicking on the little green round button at upper left for full screen OR (press option key and then click green button ) which will expand but still show the header at the top of the Finder screen/desktop and the doc .

As far as isolating on a portion of the mix screen I am not aware of that feature
I imagine that like Pro Tools you can hide and expand mixer and edit channels
And in PT you can set up window recalls for the edit window with like a zoomed in view
'
The only other thing you can do is set one or both displays at a lower resolution which will make everything bigger

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-05-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I don't use Logic but the comments about "detach" make me suspect that like Studio One you can separate the mixer section from the edit window ?

So with two displays that will get you to being able to have the mixer and edit windows on different displays . Then you can "Expand to full screen" on Mac OS this can be accessed by either clicking on the little green round button at upper left for full screen OR (press option key and then click green button ) which will expand but still show the header at the top of the Finder screen/desktop and the doc .

As far as isolating on a portion of the mix screen I am not aware of that feature
I imagine that like Pro Tools you can hide and expand mixer and edit channels
And in PT you can set up window recalls for the edit window with like a zoomed in view
'
The only other thing you can do is set one or both displays at a lower resolution which will make everything bigger
Got my ASUS PA278CV pro Art monitor just now, a day early. Been running it for the last 20 minutes in combination with my new Mac Studio MI Max.

What a beautiful screen and colors. Thank you so much for your recommendation KevWind....great choice! Another great benefit of the model is that I can rotate the Screen completely vertical. On rare occasions I build websites for my friends. You have to configure them in two versions, one for desktop and one for mobile Phone. So the vertical rotation will come in handy for that. Probably the greatest value for myself is that when turning it sideways I can see which ports are which. Otherwise I would have to lean the computer backwards.

The Monitor has so many inputs and a couple of display port outputs as well. However, I am a little confused right now as some websites are saying a that Mac does not allow you to daisy chain from one computer to next. You have to plug in directly. If that is the true case, that would still be fine for my second monitor. Not as Ideal but still would work for me.

I am realizing that I will probably have to get a number of new cables or cable adapters. There are only two USB spots on the Mac Studio. The rest are Thunderbolt. But they do have a lot...I think six all together.
My ID44 for instance only has USB out. And currently my Midi Keyboard is USB out as well.

? When using an Adapter from USB to Thunderbolt is there any degradation of signal?
Or Am I better off using a USB hub?

And or I may have to purchase a new Ilok with thunderbolt connection.

Well now the real work begins. There were a few music programs and Ilok function programs that did not yet transfer. I will have to learn how to reinstall them and or launch via Rosetta.

Last edited by AcousticDreams; 07-05-2022 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added matterial
Old 07-06-2022, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

You are welcome . The Asus was recommended to me by a friend who does a lot of Photo work.

I think you mean daisy chain the displays ,,Yes ? I have never tried daisy chaining displays But I am guessing that could defeat Extended Mode (where you can have different images on the two displays ) and would probably only allow Mirror mode ?? which IMO, would defeat the reason to have two displays in the first place .
I am assuming you can simply run one display from the HDMI port and one from any of the 4 USB-C/ TB 4 ports on the Studio machine..

BTW TB 3 and 4 and USB-C are all the same connector config. and interchangeable
This is the adaptor I use to run my iLok on my lap top (USB to the USB-C /TB 4 ports on my MBP ) and no,, I do not notice any degradation or issue. It is actually USB3 which has pretty fast transfer speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Compatible-Chromebook-Pixelbook-Microsoft/dp/B07KR45LJW/ref=asc_df_B07KR45LJW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312780390407&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=2526576618834814687&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt =&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014485&hvt argid=pla-636721944170&th=1

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-06-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:32 AM

Regarding showing and recalling specific windows or views in logic, you can do a lot with screen sets. https://support.apple.com/guide/logi...cp9bbbcb23/mac or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5_atn0gjI

As far as resizing.... or zooming in on some areas such as the mixer... maybe not so much. However, you can zoom in on any wave forms you are editing, the piano roll... things like that where more precision comes in handy.

No help as far as monitors from me.... I just use a laptop.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-06-2022, 10:51 AM
Eric Skye

I noticed on GearSpace's Logic sub-forum yesterday there's a wishlist thread for Logic 11, and being able to enlarge the mixer is very popular request. Here's hoping they're paying attention to that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD