The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-31-2023, 08:18 AM

Default Fir Billets

Recently was given two pieces of Fir (?), from a contractor that was renovating an old school building, not sure if used in rafter or flooring joists. Both are 3"x12"x48" with overall fairly straight vertical grain. Still in very raw condition, but after some squaring, surface plane and re-saw, I just might end up with some acoustic stock. I'm still trying to decipher a more definite species, and how best to cut for maximum benefit/usage. Any thoughts.?
Old 08-31-2023, 11:26 AM

Fir is not used generally for acoustic guitars because of its poor tonal properties. You could use it for electrics, though.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:41 PM

Douglas fir is a good guess. It is easily identified by the resinous 'plywood' smell and slight tinge of reddish brown. It is not a true fir, being on the dense side.
True firs are very pale in color (similar to Engelmann), and tend to be soft and weak.
Either one is usable for soundboards, provided the thickness is appropriate.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:19 PM

I have two sets of Doug Fir in my stock and it is by far the stiffest of any of the tops I have ever handled. I think it will make good Dreds and look forward to using it.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:51 AM

Mandolin and fiddle builder Howard "Sonny" Morris has built some great sounding instruments with doug fir soundboards.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:35 AM

I turn 75 in December, just a hobby builder in my basement shop, #14 Acoustic build is "in-progress", (seems forever) also finished 6 ukulele projects. I have managed to shelve 4 B/S sets with top wood also, so with this fir I'm set for awhile.! I continue to learn everyday, AGF is a great platform.. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair