The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-01-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Rainsong CH-OM1100NS

I've long espoused the theory that less is more, and my new Rainsong CH-OM1100NS typifies that. What it lacks in frills, electronics and high price, it more than makes up for in comfort, tone and playability. I'd been waiting for Ted @ LA Guitar Sales to get a CH-OM in stock sans electronics and jumped on it when he did. As usual, price and customer service were excellent.

I suppose the biggest surprise was that this lowly part of the Rainsong lineup is such a joy to play. My tonal preference leans toward larger bodied guitars, but Rainsong has been able to incorporate what my ears tell me is a very desirable sound into a couch-loving size with its twelve fret neck, light weight and OM body. Many thanks to Rainsong, Ted and Helene for the guitar that could easily be my one and only....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-01-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Great purchase! Those CH guitars are such a pleasure to play, at such a great price point.

I'm under the impression that you can order any configuration of RainSong from any of their dealers at any time? Might take you a few weeks to get one made, but you don't have to just wait and hope one shows up in inventory. Between body styles and shapes and necks and electronics and finishes, you might as well get what you want!

You got sharks and rosette on yours?
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Glad you like it, RP. The only "bad" thing I can say about the CH series is that it seriously undercut the potential resale value of my classic WS-1000. Not that I'm looking to part with it......
Old 07-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
...You got sharks and rosette on yours?
Most definitely....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-06-2019, 06:00 AM
Guest 720

Agree 100%, been thinking about one of these for all the times I don't need to be plugged in, noodling on the couch, traveling, etc.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Agree 100%, been thinking about one of these for all the times I don't need to be plugged in, noodling on the couch, traveling, etc.
It seems perfect for those occasions. I'd previously tried a Rainsong parlor, but the size and tone just didn't do it for me. The CH-OM has very respectable size and tone....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-07-2019, 03:27 PM

I really like mine, now that I've found the strings that work best for me on it (Retros medium/light hybrid aka LJ's Choice) for my style of rhythm/strumming. They fatten up the bass and the top end as well.

I bought it for gigging, and that's what I use it for most often. In fact, I'm off to play outdoors on a fairly humid day.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I really like mine, now that I've found the strings that work best for me on it (Retros medium/light hybrid aka LJ's Choice) for my style of rhythm/strumming. They fatten up the bass and the top end as well...
Thanks for the suggestion...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 AM

I had the same guitar, together with a Rainsong H dreadnought, both new, both without electronics, both purchased from Ted at LA Guitar sales.
The CH OM was short scale, the dread was standard scale. I preferred the sound of the dreadnought, possibly the best Rainsong guitar that I ever had (and I had many). But the CH OM was a nice guitar. It had a little cosmetic flaw (a blimp on the top, around the sound hole, when the strings were under tension).
I owned several Rainsong in the past 15 years and I love this brand. I think that the CH series and the H series are an incredible value for the money. My son has a CH-WS, purchased at Huber and Breese in Fraser, MI, with electronics, that is an exceptional guitar. Of all Rainsong shapes, I like the OM shape better, however as far as tone is concerned in my personal opinion the WS and the dreadnought have a more full, "complete" tone that works well for both strumming and fingerpicking.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-08-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Transactional feedback not permitted
Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a number of Rainsongs but all were either OMs or Dreads. My first was a "Studio" which was their least expensive line at the time. Liked it enough but couldn't stand the scratchy top. IMO the top of the CH is far superior. The 12-fret OM is an extremely playable guitar with very decent tone. I've never played or owned one of the higher priced Rainsongs so I have no comparison with those.

Here's what I'd like to see Rainsong do with their lower priced offerings:
1) Make those models without electronics more readily available such as the H-DR and the CH-PA. Yes, I know they can be ordered.

2) Make the CH models available with a gig bags like those early Studio models rather than hardshell cases.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-08-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Glad you like it, RP. The only "bad" thing I can say about the CH series is that it seriously undercut the potential resale value of my classic WS-1000. Not that I'm looking to part with it......
Earl, why would a new lower price model with different materials and appointments affect the resale of your standard model that has not been discounted by the builder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I had the same guitar, together with a Rainsong H dreadnought, both new, both without electronics, both purchased from Ted at LA Guitar sales.
The CH OM was short scale, the dread was standard scale. I preferred the sound of the dreadnought, possibly the best Rainsong guitar that I ever had (and I had many). But the CH OM was a nice guitar. It had a little cosmetic flaw (a blimp on the top, around the sound hole, when the strings were under tension).
I owned several Rainsong in the past 15 years and I love this brand. I think that the CH series and the H series are an incredible value for the money. My son has a CH-WS, purchased at Huber and Breese in Fraser, MI, with electronics, that is an exceptional guitar. Of all Rainsong shapes, I like the OM shape better, however as far as tone is concerned in my personal opinion the WS and the dreadnought have a more full, "complete" tone that works well for both strumming and fingerpicking.
I own all the Rainsong sizes and agree that the larger guitars have a fuller tone but I tend to get more use out of my 12-fret OM. Glad the dread is working out for you. Did you get the 14 or 12 fret?

Last edited by chistrummer; 07-09-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Deleted transactional feedback from quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
Earl, why would a new lower price model with different materials and appointments affect the resale of your standard model that has not been discounted by the builder?
Simple really. Brand new the WS-1000 costs about $2500. Used CF guitars in great condition (mine still looks new after 18 years) will often sell for ~65% of new price, which is $1600 give or take a bit. However, the CH-WS sells new for around $1350. When new is lower than used, that pulls down the potential resale value of my used guitar - should I ever decide to sell it.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:13 AM

I agree about the gigbag idea RP. I would add a couple things i wish RainSong would do; offer a slimmer neck profile that could be a happy medium between the N1 and N2 or NS necks, make a 2.25 spacing at the bridge an option, create guiitars apart from the jumbo and dread that don't have a cutaway.

I think an OM would look great and probably sound a little fuller with no cutaway 😃
Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Simple really. Brand new the WS-1000 costs about $2500. Used CF guitars in great condition (mine still looks new after 18 years) will often sell for ~65% of new price, which is $1600 give or take a bit. However, the CH-WS sells new for around $1350. When new is lower than used, that pulls down the potential resale value of my used guitar - should I ever decide to sell it.
That's like saying that a new Taylor 214ce selling at $1350 is devaluing the resale of a used 814ce. Two different guitars.

Oh, and a gig bag option would be nice on all of the models not just the CH.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Earl you are spot on. I was only able to get 63% of what I paid for a Shorty when the CH-OM rolled out. I'm confident that if I had asked for even $100 more then what I got for it, it would have sat in the classifieds until I dropped the price. No complaints though- i had a great guitar that i paid $175 a year to rent. All about perspective, but the used market for CF isn't as forgiving as with wood.

I don't think this is exclusive to RainSong either. Just look at other CF guitars either here on the AGF, or especially on Reverb. There are Emeralds on Reverb right now way overpriced in the used market, and they have been sitting there for months. Granted a couple of them are baritones, but niche guitars in an already niche market are just not going to sell for nearly what yoi would pay for one new, under warranty, with a mug, and with the option to return.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber