The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM

Default Decent pickup for the old and cheap classical guitar

I own 20+ years old classical "Musima" gutar made somewhere between 1985 and 1990 in German Democratic Republic (!).
I wanted to replace it by something newer than that, but after playing a bunch of other guitars I decided to keep this one for a while. It sounds comparable to the new guitars in $500-700 range which is ok with me for now.

I am looking for a decent pickup for that guitar. In my estimation, today the cost of that guitar is around $300, so it doesn't make sense to install anything expensive. I am looking for a decent passive pickup or onboard preamp+pickup pair for up to &70-80 (new or used). It will be used in the live performances with 2-3 acoustic guitars and a few singers.

I'll appreciate any advices/recommendations.

Regards,
Vlad
Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbakh View Post
I own 20+ years old classical "Musima" gutar made somewhere between 1985 and 1990 in German Democratic Republic (!).
I wanted to replace it by something newer than that, but after playing a bunch of other guitars I decided to keep this one for a while. It sounds comparable to the new guitars in $500-700 range which is ok with me for now.

I am looking for a decent pickup for that guitar. In my estimation, today the cost of that guitar is around $300, so it doesn't make sense to install anything expensive. I am looking for a decent passive pickup or onboard preamp+pickup pair for up to &70-80 (new or used). It will be used in the live performances with 2-3 acoustic guitars and a few singers.

I'll appreciate any advices/recommendations.

Regards,
Vlad
Hi Vlad…
K&K makes a really nice Classical guitar passive system.

It has 4 elements instead of 3 that are used in acoustic steel string guitars. It is the Pure Classic-CLiCK

It can be used with or without a preamp, and costs around $125 directly from K&K (retail price is $150). I've heard them and they reproduce the sound of classical guitars very naturally when superglued in (I heard one that was taped in and it sounded thin till we added a preamp to the signal chain).

It's more than your budget, but worth it for a really great sounding system.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Vlad…
K&K makes a really nice Classical guitar passive system.
It's more than your budget, but worth it for a really great sounding system.
Hi LJGuitar,

I use a K&K pure pickup on my steel string guitar and it works just fine. I think that $125 is too much for that old & cheap guitar and for those performances :-)
From the other side, I would like to avoid quaky sound from the cheap (or not so cheap) UST pickups, but don't know how (yet)

Thanks,
Vlad
Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hi LJGuitar,

I use K&K pure pickup on my steel string guitar and it works just fine. I think that $125 is too much for that old & cheap guitar and for those performances :-) From the other side, I would like to avoid quaky sound from the cheap UST pickups, but don't know how (yet)

Thanks,
Vlad
If you like the K&K in your steel string, you'll love one in a classical. They sound even more natural in nylon string guitars.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks JLS!

Are there any other decent options?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Default Schertler DYN-G

Quote:
Thanks JLS!

Are there any other decent options?
The Schertler DYN series is expensive.....but you can easily move it when you change guitars, and the sound GREAT!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification