The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-19-2021, 11:52 PM

Default Best mic for Emerald Chimeara?

Would I need two small diaphragm mics, or is there something out there that can capture both necks? The Rode USB seems to do well, but looking for something for both live use and recording. I have plenty of gear to blen the pickups with the mics, so that’s not an issue, just looking for the best mic options.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:30 PM

Most 2 mic setups on acoustic guitars are one at the neck and one at the bridge, or some variation on that theme. It's not a "stereo" setup, per se, but more so that you have flexibility with tone and panning when mixing, to create a more interesting stereo image of the guitar sound than you can get with a single mic.

That said, I think a single cardioid mic will cover both necks just fine, but you may want to add another mic on the bridge. I'll also say that the best mic for recording your acoustic guitar isn't likely to be the best mic for playing live.

On a loud stage, it's hard to beat an SM57, of all things. If you want a condenser, the smoother the frequency response is the happier you'll be. Most budget condensers have a slightly jagged, peaky frequency response, especially off-axis, as well as a HF boost, which are all going to be working against you in a live situation. Generally speaking, the more you spend the better the product will be.

I don't love miking acoustic guitars live, but I've had good results with C414's a few times. KM184's are used on a lot of studio recordings, and I think they should work well live as well. SM81's used to be the gold standard on stage (and still kind of are), but I'd probably choose a KSM137 over an 81 these days. On a more budget friendly level, I think my AT4041's might be my choice if I didn't have much to spend. I'd say AT is the most underrated of the major mic manufacturers, I really like their stuff.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:41 PM

Default At4041

Noticed Sweetwater sells the AT4041 as a pair for about $500, or one for $300. Lots of good reviews. Thanks for the info. I have an old EV mic I may experiment to see if I need a pair, or just get a better one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber