The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 03:20 AM

Default Which Martin??

Hi! I was all set to buy a "new" guitar in the next day or two and thought that I found what I wanted: Martin OMC28E. I also ran across two other (very similar in price and construction...they are solid wood of the same type ie spruce, Rosewood etc.) guitars that make we wonder WHICH to buy?
-2000s OMC28E
-1990 OMC28 (limited edition guitar of the month with oval soundhole)
-OMC Aura (That's the entire model name. I put a link to the guitar at the bottom since Martin has used that name with a lot of different models) It's basically an ornate OMC28E with Aura pickup system)

-The standard 2000s OMC28E is hard to fault; it's the most expensive of the three (not by much). It's the blueprint of my dream guitar- Orchestra body, solid spruce top, solid rosewood b&s, ebony fb, balanced highs/lows. I'm leaning toward one of the other two though. They follow the same blueprint as the 28E.

-The 1990 is tempting because of its age & limited numbers, but the fact that it's not expensive makes me wonder WHY they aren't in demand. It doesn't have electronics, but that's not a huge deal to me. The specs state that it has a wider neck "for fingerstyle." Although I do play a lot of fingerstyle, it's not all that I play.

-The OMC Aura is beautiful. I don't like the huge piece of wood that was removed for the preamp, but I can live with it. Although it is all solid tone wood, I wonder if a lower grade of wood was used? I don't know about the bracing, neck joint etc. I also wonder why info on these is so scarce?

All things (grade of wood, bracing used etc.) being equal I'd probably opt for the Aura. I plan on making the purchase in a day or two...ANY advice/help/information is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance! Link to OMC Aura below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-OMC-...EAAOSwnFJfl42e
Old 11-23-2020, 03:53 AM

Have you played any of these guitars? If not, have you played any of these same models? As diverse as AGF is, the majority here will agree that written specifications don't always translate into the best sounding or most comfortable guitars to play.

What is your purpose? Home use, studio use, gigs, campfire music, do you plan to travel with your guitar a lot? What you plan to do with this guitar "most of the time" should also lead your decision making. For me personally, home use and campfires are my forte, so clean tones and comfort are higher on my list than electronics or "big volume" (ie, dreadnaught).

Happy hunting.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 AM

Thanks so very much for the prompt response!

Although I haven't played any of these specific guitars, I have played similar models. I've contacted the sellers & am able to return (at my expense of course) either one if I don't like it. I've owned Martins in the past and played (& LOVED) similar models.

My main use will be at home...writing songs and possibly recording. Although I am moving soon, neither would be a travel guitar. It's POSSIBLE that I may end up playing in a worship team again, but I have a Dreadnought if the OMC doesn't work.

It's kind of difficult to attach a genre to what I play. That's not to state that I'm an incredible guitarist...I'm not. It's just that I (try to) play a lot of different styles. The songs that I write reflect that too. My biggest influences (not necessarily in order) are: Andres Segovia, Al Dimeola, Randy Rhoads and David Gilmour. I don't know if this helps..?

I should add that whichever one I buy it won't be my only guitar. I also have a Breedlove (D25/SRH made in USA with pickup) and a Takamine (F362S '70s MIJ copy of a Gallagher) as well as two electrics.

Right now 99% of my playing is on the Breedlove...a lot of fingerstyle with "fast" (for me anyway) scaler runs.

What I'm looking for in the new guitar (all of this is subjective, but I'll try to make a list ) is:
-tonal balance (highs & lows balanced)
-nice neck suited for fingerstyle as well as runs/individual
notes
-playing comfort

I hope that this helps. If not please feel free to ask me whatever you need to know. Thanks again for the help!!
Old 11-23-2020, 07:42 AM

I guess that the concise version= does anyone have an opinion on any of these that would direct him/her to pass on one for another?
Also, does anyone have information about these models that would point me AT or AWAY from it/them?

The Martin OMC28E is everything that I want in a guitar, and all three of these are variations on the OMC28. Any insight would be most helpful and appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I would have to get a much better price on the one with the big pre-amp in the side. If anything happens to the electronics you're still stuck with it or a big hole in the side.

Are the other two more expensive? Do you specifically want an older guitar? Have you made any offers?

If it was me, unless I could play one of those and it blew me away, I'd look at getting a new OMC-28 or even 18 from one of our forum sponsors. The 28 would be not too much more than the one with the pre-amp and an 18 would be less.

Good luck with your guitar search!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:22 AM

Thanks!
The OMC28E is slightly more expensive than the Aura. I can probably haggle with the seller and get it slightly less than the Aura, but that's a "probably" not a certainty.
The 1990 is the least expensive...again not by very much.

I will certainly take a look at what the sponsors are selling; in all honesty that should have been a "no brainier" on my part.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the 18 mahogany b&s? Solid rosewood b&s are "must haves." I will check though; if I am wrong it won't be the first time!
Thanks again
Old 11-23-2020, 08:58 AM

To me, if I don't have a chance to play any of them, I would lean towards the OMC28e.

I have never played the OMCAura, but I have played it's Dreadnaught cousin and the guitar looks great, and sounds good plugged in, but it isn't the same as a 28 series. The Aura has a Mortise and Tenon neck joint, which most would argue is a cost saving measure. The bracing is also different. The Aura is more reminiscent of a 16 series martin with the bling. If you like the bling and the Aura system, then by all means. But in a world where you can't try before you buy, I'd lean towards the OMC28e and it's not particularly close for me.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:07 AM

It would be the 2000s OMC28e for me. I don't like the bling on the Aura, nor the barn door. The oval sound hole on the 1990 is also a deal breaker for me, and I would guess other's as well, hence the lower price. If the prices were close enough to new and it was my intention to have this as a lifetime keeper, I'd go new, if for no other reason than warranty. Its also fun to live with a guitar as it breaks in over the years from new.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:51 AM

If you really want to learn about the differences between these guitars, I suggest you go to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (UMGF.com). There is no better source of info for Martin guitars.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks...that's very useful information! Based on that I can narrow the field to the OMC28E & OMC28.
I owned a D28 (it was the very 1st guitar my ex sold! To make it even worse, she listed it on eBay under MY user name! Arrgh!) & really liked it...at one time I thought that it was the best acoustic ever made. Until I played an OMC anyway
Old 11-23-2020, 10:37 AM

The prices are far from new. I am curious about your description of a "barn door." I assume that's directed at the 90s OMC28?

As for the other point, I can't go new...too much $$. The 2000s OMC28E is as close as I can get. I'm going to have to sell a couple of my guitars to cover the ~$2k+. I can't swing much more unfortunately.

Thanks again!!

Why is the oval sound hole a deal breaker? Is it purely aesthetic, or is there a tone issue?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:56 AM

I signed up for that forum (I agree that it looks very informative) but have to wait ~2 days before I am "cleared" to post new threads. I don't think that I have that much time; the guitars will probably be gone. I already missed out on a ~2010(?forget exact date) OMC28E for $1700.

Does anyone know if the bracing (scalloped or not, forward shifted or not etc.) is the same on these guitars? Although I think that the Aura is beautiful (just enough appointments to avoid being ostentatious IMO) I have been semi-turned off on it. If it's only real attributes are its appearance...well I prefer the one that may sound/play better.

I've been playing guitar for >30 years, but I am definitely NOT an expert on the minutia that makes one similar guitar better than another.

I kind of get the feeling (& correct me if I am wrong) that the newer OMC28E is the safest bet? I certainly understand that but hope that there's something in the way that one of them plays/sounds that sets it apart.

If there isn't, I'll opt for either the "safest" or "most *attractive" option.

Thanks so very much!!

*The Aura is (IMO) the most attractive, but (based on comments here) it's moved down not up.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
To me, if I don't have a chance to play any of them, I would lean towards the OMC28e.

I have never played the OMCAura, but I have played it's Dreadnaught cousin and the guitar looks great, and sounds good plugged in, but it isn't the same as a 28 series. The Aura has a Mortise and Tenon neck joint, which most would argue is a cost saving measure. The bracing is also different. The Aura is more reminiscent of a 16 series martin with the bling. If you like the bling and the Aura system, then by all means. But in a world where you can't try before you buy, I'd lean towards the OMC28e and it's not particularly close for me.
That's great info!! Thanks
Old 11-23-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Man View Post
It would be the 2000s OMC28e for me. I don't like the bling on the Aura, nor the barn door. The oval sound hole on the 1990 is also a deal breaker for me, and I would guess other's as well, hence the lower price. .
That's certainly reasonable & would explain why it's relatively cheap. May I ask why YOU think that the oval sound hole is a deal breaker?

Thank you...excellent info
Old 11-23-2020, 12:49 PM

This is not answering your question, but I sure love my Martin CEO-7 for all the purposes that you seek to use this guitar for. Size is comfy, string spacing perfect and tone is different from your other guitars. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1990 omc, martin, omc aura, omc28e