The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-04-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default What the heck, Spire Studio???

Some of you may be aware that I have been a big fan of the Spire Studio. I downloaded the last update and... what happened? Seems I am not able to delete tracks and have no way to see what is happening on a track as I am recording. This thing is a mess.

Anyone else run into this with the last update?
Old 11-04-2020, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Some of you may be aware that I have been a big fan of the Spire Studio. I downloaded the last update and... what happened? Seems I am not able to delete tracks and have no way to see what is happening on a track as I am recording. This thing is a mess.

Anyone else run into this with the last update?
Don't use Spire so cant help there Does the mfg. website keep a library of previous versions ? Having used Pro Tools for 18 yeas I keep a folder on my desk top for every update version (in PT called dot (.) versions 12.5.1 and 12 .5.2 etc. )not only for the current major version but the previous one also for just this type of thing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Don't use Spire so cant help there Does the mfg. website keep a library of previous versions ? Having used Pro Tools for 18 yeas I keep a folder on my desk top for every update version (in PT called dot (.) versions 12.5.1 and 12 .5.2 etc. )not only for the current major version but the previous one also for just this type of thing
I employ the NDH method for all software updates... No D*** Hurry!
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-05-2020, 05:22 PM

Default Fingers crossed...

...that it gets sorted out soon. But in the meantime, thanks for posting that you ran into a problem with the latest update. I bought a Spire Studio a while back, but apart from charging it up and confirming that it and the app both worked, I STILL haven't had a chance to play with it. But while the hardware sat idle, I had been keeping the software up to date on my iPad and iPod so I'd be ready with the latest when the chance arose.

I'll hold off now on any MORE updates until this is settled. I can only imagine how confused and frustrated I would have been if my first serious attempts had been hobbled by wonky software.

So again, thanks for sharing your ... 'technical difficulties.'

Jim

Seagull 25th Mahogany and Spruce
Yamaha Silent Guitar SLG200S
Old 11-05-2020, 07:12 PM

Does this relate to a software update or a firmware update that affects the hardware?
Old 11-06-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Does this relate to a software update or a firmware update that affects the hardware?
It's a software update that offers new "features." The ability to record while viewing "notes" is good, but I am no longer able to utilize the soundcheck and effects while on the page that shows the histogram with the previous tracks. The not being able to delete tracks issue went away when I shut down the iPad Pro and restarted it.

I think iZotope could make a transition like this easier if they had a tutorial about the new "features". I exchanged e-mails with Mack from iZotope and he agreed that more explanation with an update would be helpful - he said he'd pass that suggestion along.

This isn't a deal-breaker for using the Spire, just a change that makes it less functional for my use; others may find the changes good. I like to be able to see a graphic of the levels while I am recording, so I can see where breaks or peaks may be coming up. Now, more moving between pages while getting a track set up. The Spire, for me, is all about the ease of use.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Well, I can’t complain about the response time from iZotope: there was an update for the Spire this morning, that took care of the issue I had from the previous update. Nice!
Old 11-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Well, I can’t complain about the response time from iZotope: there was an update for the Spire this morning, that took care of the issue I had from the previous update. Nice!
I saw this tread when it was new and hadn't used my Spire in a while. Went to record something yesterday and it wanted to update the system. Doesn't really give you an option NOT to - it kind of forces you to download the software before it'll let you connect the phone/tablet to the Spire. So I crossed my fingers and everything worked fine. I don't know if I just missed the bad one and updated to the fixed version, or what, but I didn't have any problems. Glad your problem got sorted. You probably saved me some frustration... The soundcheck is one of the best things about the Spire - using it without it, how would you set levels without it?

Did they tell you what the problem was?

-Ray
Old 11-09-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I saw this tread when it was new and hadn't used my Spire in a while. Went to record something yesterday and it wanted to update the system. Doesn't really give you an option NOT to - it kind of forces you to download the software before it'll let you connect the phone/tablet to the Spire. So I crossed my fingers and everything worked fine. I don't know if I just missed the bad one and updated to the fixed version, or what, but I didn't have any problems. Glad your problem got sorted. You probably saved me some frustration... The soundcheck is one of the best things about the Spire - using it without it, how would you set levels without it?

Did they tell you what the problem was?

-Ray
Hi Ray,

The guy I emailed back and forth with seemed to understand my disappointment with the update, but didn’t acknowledge anything. You still can’t access effects and sound checks from the page that has the levels for each individual track, but you can get back to that page now while recording. Sound checks and effects are available from the recording page that features their new “notes” feature. Definitely better now.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD