The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-18-2020, 11:27 AM

Default Help Needed - Warped Top!

I purchased an Engelmann spruce top that I had joined (I will not name the supplier out of respect, I have never had an issue with them previously). The top when I received it was warped ... Best way I can describe it is that the top two edges skew naturally to one direction, and the bottom 2 edges skew to the opposite direction (hope that makes sense).

Since receiving the top 5 days ago I have stickered it in my build room which hovers between 35-45% humidity. So far though it's still warped in the same way. it feels almost like when the halves were joined there was some stressor trapped somewhere in the wood. If I hold the top with one hand and the bottom with the other and slowly twist them in opposite directions, there is a point where it slightly 'springs' (as though releasing tension).

Is there any way I can salvage the board? If not, what should I do?

Thanks,
Nahil.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:37 PM

How thick are they?

If they are still near 5mm the. I’d be tempted to take them down to 3mm and see how much the twist develops or recedes.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldad View Post
How thick are they?

If they are still near 5mm the. I’d be tempted to take them down to 3mm and see how much the twist develops or recedes.
Unfortunately they already down to 3mm so I don't have much wiggle room in terms of adjusting the thickness.

It's hard to describe, but I feel as though maybe the two sides were not completely flat when glued up so its created some sort of stress on the board.

I am at a loss on what to do ... any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nahil.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:20 AM

It sounds like the top was glued together using a spring joint. That is where the top is jointed so that there is a slight gap in the center of the joint before clamping. It is done to prevent a seam separation at the tail block from developing in the future.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:56 PM

How much warpage are you talking about here? Like for example if you lay it on a flat table how much up in the air is one corner?
Old 11-19-2020, 02:50 PM

I would give it some more time. I got some wood from a guy off the Gulf coast and I had to acclimatize the wood for some time. If it is a problem afterward mist it down and run a clothes iron on it then stack some books on top.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

The supplier was kind enough to offer another top for free!

The warped top is stickered and doesn't seem to be flattening out.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:39 PM

I can see it now though, you build with that top and it turns out to be a great sounding guitar then you can market and sell 'pre-warped' top guitars
Old 11-24-2020, 01:08 PM

This has not caused any issues in my building. As soon as you glue on the braces, it essentially disappears.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
This has not caused any issues in my building. As soon as you glue on the braces, it essentially disappears.
Yeah but you are really good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair