The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-28-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Cool Just Stunning! "Surf's Up", Gill/Webb/Crosby!!!

Have you HEARD this? Good grief! Such a powerful song, and SO incredibly difficult to have a live performance, especially one as great as this one is...

Don't let "The Beachboys" put you off this... if you love REALLY good music, you simply have to sit down and dig into this...

(and I hope that the actual thing comes up, given my ineptitude with these matters of the computer!)

https://youtu.be/uU-4AkDimt8

Even as burgeoning teen in Southern California when The Beachboys and the surf-craze hit, I quickly grew tired and bored with that band's "schtick", even though I appreciated the harmonies... we certainly heard them EVERYWHERE, back then...

It wasn't until the later records came out that I heard lyrics that were anything more than the drivel of teen-angst...

And this song (and the whole album, actually) was one that spun me around and rocked me back on my heels when I first heard it... can't believe I only heard this version yesterday for the first time...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Impressive vocals by Gill and even Crosby considering that it was recorded live, but the "Child is father to the man" part pales aurally when compared to the original version. The harmonies and arrangements of the Beach Boys have always struck a chord with me.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:13 PM

What an incredible performance by Vince Gill. I had no idea he was capable of singing like that. The song has always been a favorite of mine but I never imagined I’d see it done live like that. Thanks for posting !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN