The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-10-2020, 01:17 PM

Default Help with bindings

I am struggling with bending wenge bindings. I have already closed the box on my second guitar and have a wenge back strip in the guitar, so I would like to stay with the wenge for the bindings.
I have broken more then 10 bindings so far. I have tried bending by hand on a pipe bender and also with a heat blanket on a side bending form. I have tried lightly misting with water, a heavy application with water and pre treating with veneer softener. I also tried to resaw the wood to decrease the amount runout of my stock after my initial attempts. The bindings have been thicknessed to 0.080"
I am starting to bend on the form when the temperature reaches 250F and try to keep the temperature below 300-325F.
I would appreciate any advice or experience with bending wenge the AGF community could give me. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMdmd View Post
I am struggling with bending wenge bindings. I have already closed the box on my second guitar and have a wenge back strip in the guitar, so I would like to stay with the wenge for the bindings.
I have broken more then 10 bindings so far. I have tried bending by hand on a pipe bender and also with a heat blanket on a side bending form. I have tried lightly misting with water, a heavy application with water and pre treating with veneer softener. I also tried to resaw the wood to decrease the amount runout of my stock after my initial attempts. The bindings have been thicknessed to 0.080"
I am starting to bend on the form when the temperature reaches 250F and try to keep the temperature below 300-325F.
I would appreciate any advice or experience with bending wenge the AGF community could give me. Thanks!
It's not a pleasant wood to work with. I had decent luck bending wenge binding over a hot pipe by making sure I supported the back of the bend with a strip of metal to keep it from fracturing along the bend.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:13 PM

Default Maybe this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA3DOo0Rbj0

Ron
Old 11-10-2020, 07:58 PM

Bindings no thicker than .080".

Zero runout, or close to it.

Backup the outside of the curve with sheet metal to keep splinters from lifting.

Start bending at 300-325ºF. No need to go hotter than 325, but 250 is way too low.

[edit] I have bent wenge at .080 without problems. But thinner is easier, of course.]

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 11-11-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:12 PM

Thin them to 0.065". 0.080" thick is almost twice as stiff.
Soak the wood for at least an hour.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes in a few days!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thinning to .065 would definitely help and, maybe you're already doing this, bending them all together at once can make things a whole lot easier. I lay them flat on my bench pressed up against each other, tape the ends together, tape ~3" on either side of the waist, and maybe one more section of tape in the middle of the lower bout. If there's a weak-spot in any of the strips the surrounding strips will hopefully support it enough that it won't snap.

Good luck!
instagram
Old 11-11-2020, 07:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

The importance of minimizing runout cannot be overrated. While .08" is thicker than I use (.07"), it should be bendable if the wood fiber is aligned close to perfectly.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:29 AM

I've bent a few sets of Wenge at .080" without any issue at 350-360 degrees. No soaking, no water or anything.. Bent very well for me given its tendency to splinter. I guess also depends on how it's cut too..
Old 12-15-2020, 08:02 PM

Just a quick update. I was successful getting the wenge binding on the guitar. Thank you to all who lent their advice. Thinning to .065”, taping the four pieces together and bending on a hot pipe with a light mist of water, supported by a metal backing strip worked. I also placed some tape to support the fibers under tension. This is a great community! Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:37 PM

I bend sides in a form but I bend my bindings in a steam box.

One end of my steam box has a small 1cm wide hole in it and I feed my binding into the box through the hole and leave a little outside, I feed the steam in for approx 5 minutes and then pull the strip out and quickly wrap the body in it and allow it to dry in place with some tape.

Works a charm, never had binding crack or split on me, I can bind the lower horn on a tele guitar easily with no breakage and that is a super tight bend

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-16-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I bend sides in a form but I bend my bindings in a steam box.

One end of my steam box has a small 1cm wide hole in it and I feed my binding into the box through the hole and leave a little outside, I feed the steam in for approx 5 minutes and then pull the strip out and quickly wrap the body in it and allow it to dry in place with some tape.

Works a charm, never had binding crack or split on me, I can bind the lower horn on a tele guitar easily with no breakage and that is a super tight bend

Steve
Can you link the steam box that you use?
Old 12-16-2020, 06:17 PM

I made the box, can take a photo today at work and upload it
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-16-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
Can you link the steam box that you use?
Linked it but not coming up, use to work just fine using facebook cross links

Last edited by mirwa; 12-17-2020 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:48 PM

super tight bends

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair