The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Default NPNGD_DMP2NW_and_GreatRiver_MP2MH.wav

Since I have the NPNGD_DMP2NW and GreatRiver_MP2MH preamps I was asked in a PM about what I thought the difference might be soundwise.

I recording a clip a number of years ago which is here (the usual caveats apply to this sort of thing):
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/NPNGD_...iver_MP2MH.wav

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-12-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks so much Rick-slo with posting this comparison of preamps. I have already listened to it 10 times!
Both preamps sound great, however there is a clear difference between them.
The NPNG seems to gently reveal the subtleties of attack times with a very natural & open nature. I like it! Love hearing the presence of the initial pluck of the string without it sounding harsh or brash.
The older Great River seemingly has a Slightly less presentation of the initial attack times. If you will, a very small, super nice, rounding effect. This to me is perceived as super smooth & very musically pleasing. I like it too! Could even be an advantage to those notes that were not plucked as evenly as they should have been.
Hmmm? Decisions, decisions. I think it all boils down to your style of music and how you want it presented.
My style of music is very dynamic upon the plucking of notes. I like what this NPNG might have to offer for my stye. My slightly wild playing sometimes converges with very vibrant sting oscillation almost to the point of emulating the buzz of an electric guitar. On the other hand...I can get a bit out of hand sometimes and the Great River's smoothness could be a great controller. Right now I am leaning towards the NPNG's offerings.
It has been said by some, the John Hardy's Twin Servo amps,(which are a step up in grade and price from M1's) are very similar to NPNG.
I will be very interested in hearing other's evaluations, especially the very trained ears of Doug Young.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

This recording has all the caveats I have warned about before when making these sort of comparisons. Here the volume with the
NPNG is about a half decibel louder and there are two separate play throughs of the tune. Nevertheless the recordings reasonably
reflect my opinions arrived at after having done many recordings with the amps. The NPNG averages out with slightly fuller and
warmer notes and the Great River with a bit more detail on the transients. However the differences are quite small and both sound
first rate.

Neither preamp is still in production.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-12-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-12-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

That MP2MH is smoother than 007 at a baccarat table.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-12-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That MP2MH is smoother than 007 at a baccarat table.
That model has 2 sets of outputs per channel so one can chose to use or bypass the output transformers. All outputs are active at the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD