The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Very nice.......I'm a crazy hog fan. Congrats!!

"Happy Birthday"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Yes, a very happy birthday, indeed!
Love, love, love mahogany! Great choice.
scott
thank you fellas!
Old 08-17-2019, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

One more happy birthday wish for a guy with a heart of gold. I am so glad we met and became friends. Your skills and talent bring out the best in that guitar.

Yours is one of a kind and that is a special guitar!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-17-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
One more happy birthday wish for a guy with a heart of gold. I am so glad we met and became friends. Your skills and talent bring out the best in that guitar.

Yours is one of a kind and that is a special guitar!
Thanks again Gary! You were right all alongLast 2 years you were telling me I gotta play a good D 18 and that Mahogany rules well of course you were right!
Now I want a sinker Hog in sunburst....oh the GAS!!!
Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Great guitar. Congratulations. That mahogany back looks nice, and it's different from the average streaked sets I've normally seen on guitars. Yours has a nice open swirl to it like a piece of mahogany furniture or wooden cabinets.

And I think your Custom Shop book has the specs listed in it. You can probably look in there to see what the bracing is.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 AM

The sinker Martins are just great; really special. Congrats.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

That is one gorgeous D-18! Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
I wonder how I would find out about the bracing in my particular 18?
Look in the sound hole. You will easily be able to see the X. Regular scalloped braces will have a flat top with square shoulders. The thickness will be shaved down in a smooth curved fashion beginning a couple inches from the X. GE starts closer to the X and they take the extra chisel strokes needed to shave off those sharp corners on top. The top of the brace will look rounded off. All Martin dreads (except D-35) begin with 5/16” tall braces. The net result of GE scalloping is to remove more wood, weakening them, allowing greater movement of the top.

To formally confirm, every CS build has a detailed quote sheet that serves as a contract between Martin and the dealer. I’ve never known a dealer unwilling to share this document.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Look in the sound hole. You will easily be able to see the X. Regular scalloped braces will have a flat top with square shoulders. The thickness will be shaved down in a smooth curved fashion beginning a couple inches from the X. GE starts closer to the X and they take the extra chisel strokes needed to shave off those sharp corners on top. The top of the brace will look rounded off. All Martin dreads (except D-35) begin with 5/16” tall braces. The net result of GE scalloping is to remove more wood, weakening them, allowing greater movement of the top.

To formally confirm, every CS build has a detailed quote sheet that serves as a contract between Martin and the dealer. I’ve never known a dealer unwilling to share this document.
ChasingChet sent me this: It says: Sitka/Scalloped 5/16"

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM

That’s the owner’s booklet that comes with the guitar. I was referencing the CS Quote sheet which is how the dealer orders the guitar and is much more detailed. It actually gives the factory exacting instructions on how to build every detail of the guitar. It also gives the dealer the MSRP for that build and becomes a contract for the order. It’s always a good idea to get the MSRP on a custom build so you know what % of MSRP the dealer is asking.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 08-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
That’s the owner’s booklet that comes with the guitar. I was referencing the CS Quote sheet which is how the dealer orders the guitar and is much more detailed. It actually gives the factory exacting instructions on how to build every detail of the guitar. It also gives the dealer the MSRP for that build and becomes a contract for the order. It’s always a good idea to get the MSRP on a custom build so you know what % of MSRP the dealer is asking.
Interesting I believe the music zoo never ordered this particular D 18 ...the sales person told me the owner or shop manager went over to martin saw this Sinker that was unspoken for and claimed it. It was already built and they asked martin if they could have it along with others for their store
Old 08-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Does this guitar have rear shifted bracing or forward shifted? How can you find out for sure?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Congrats to the OP on a wonderful Sinker D-18!

I can empathize about initially preferring a 40-series RW Martin as I went down the same path. I had a custom shop 000-42 with Guatemalan RW that was heavenly. But as you said, the chime that is so intoxicating initially starts to grate if you cannot tame it!
I sold mine, but never really considered mahogany until I heard about the Gruhn 0000-18s. I eventually found a Sinker 0000 that the Martin rep brought along to the Martin Event at the Pittsburgh dealer. I was knocked out and bought it.

The following year, I again attended the Martin Event and this time they brought an OM Sinker. It too has the 45-series back strip (which is really cool BTW) and a wonderful Sitka top with lots of silking. I had to have it, as it fits me a bit better than the 0000.

I have listed my 0000 to allow someone else to enjoy how excellent Sinkers can be.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM

That is one beautiful guitar!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:56 PM

That's some gorgeous silking on that top, and the mahogany is beautiful with real character! I'd love to hear it. Post some clips if you can stop playing it long enough to stick a mic in front of it.

Happy Birthday!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Congrats to the OP on a wonderful Sinker D-18!

I can empathize about initially preferring a 40-series RW Martin as I went down the same path. I had a custom shop 000-42 with Guatemalan RW that was heavenly. But as you said, the chime that is so intoxicating initially starts to grate if you cannot tame it!
I sold mine, but never really considered mahogany until I heard about the Gruhn 0000-18s. I eventually found a Sinker 0000 that the Martin rep brought along to the Martin Event at the Pittsburgh dealer. I was knocked out and bought it.

The following year, I again attended the Martin Event and this time they brought an OM Sinker. It too has the 45-series back strip (which is really cool BTW) and a wonderful Sitka top with lots of silking. I had to have it, as it fits me a bit better than the 0000.

I have listed my 0000 to allow someone else to enjoy how excellent Sinkers can be.
thank you my friend! I just got back after a 2 and a half week vacation and I agree with you 100000 prcent something about this sinker wood incredible...I literally have srewed up my day today because I cannot leave the house!!! playing this 18 is a dream any favorite string recommendations??
Chris Chet Nyc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion