The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitars in cases

I generally keep my acoustic in a hardshell case when not playing. Should the case be flat on its back, on its side, or standing up when the case has the guitar inside it? Or does it really matter?
Old 08-17-2019, 04:59 PM

It shouldn't matter, except for the scenario where you trip on it because it is flat on the floor.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:12 PM

I store my instruments in their cases, with their cases on their sides. If you have the room it’s okay to store the cases flat on their backs, but storing cases upright, with the headstock ends up in the air, is surprisingly hazardous.

Which I didn’t know until a few years ago. But if the case is upright and gets knocked over, it can actually generate enough force to break off the headstock if it lands flat, especially if it falls face first unimpeded onto a hard surface like a concrete or hardwood floor.

I didn’t know that until I read an article written by Frank Ford, co-owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, California. Frank is one of the most knowledgeable and respected guitar repairmen in the United States, and writes and maintains Frets.com, which is probably the most valuable source of proven guitar repair problems and remedies that you’ll find online.

Anyway, Frank included some photos of guitars with their headstocks broken off to buttress his article, so if Frank Ford says that standing a guitar in its case upright can result in a broken headstock if it falls, that’s all I need to hear to avoid doing that.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-17-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

A case prevents accidental knocks and such and also keeps the guitar in a more stable environment.

Best keep the case itself in as stable an environment as possible and all should be well ... but keep it where it is safe.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:18 PM

I had a bulletproof Yamaha FG700S, laminate back, solid top, stayed in tune like a champ - one day I stored it (in its case) on a cold plywood floor in a basement near a large single pane window. When extracted it was largely out of tune, and it complained loudly to me, so to speak, of its negligent treatment.

Whether stored on its side or otherwise, tuning stability can be an indicator of friendly or hostile storage conditions.

I always have my cases laying flat these days.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:33 PM

My guitars sit on the floor in their cases, handle side up.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Mine are tightly packed in a closet, upright in their cases. The overflow go on a bench on their sides. I do not ever store them flat down, not because that shouldn't be done (it's fine) but because it is harder to retrieve the one i want that way.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I store my instruments in their cases, with their cases on their sides. If you have the room it’s okay to store the cases flat on their backs, but storing cases upright, with the headstock ends up in the air, is surprisingly hazardous.

Which I didn’t know until a few years ago. But if the case is upright and gets knocked over, it can actually generate enough force to break off the headstock if it lands flat, especially if it falls face first unimpeded onto a hard surface like a concrete or hardwood floor.

I didn’t know that until I read an article written by Frank Ford, co-owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, California. Frank is one of the most knowledgeable and respected guitar repairmen in the United States, and writes and maintains Frets.com, which is probably the most valuable source of proven guitar repair problems and remedies that you’ll find online.

Anyway, Frank included some photos of guitars with their headstocks broken off to buttress his article, so if Frank Ford says that standing a guitar in its case upright can result in a broken headstock if it falls, that’s all I need to hear to avoid doing that.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I did this stunt with my old ES-335 20+ years ago. At the last millisecond I instinctively broke the fall with top of my bare foot. I saved the guitar but my foot hurt bad for a year. I probably broke something in my foot but at least I didn't break the headstock! The cases go in the closet now.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 08-17-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:52 PM

On its side is the safest way.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

What really matters is that they are secure however you store them. You don’t want them to get knocked over...especially if they are standing upright and the whiplash can snap the neck.

I keep mine in a solid case rack in a room with minimum foot traffic...

Old 08-17-2019, 10:07 PM

I started playing in 1964.

The best advice I ever got was to:

* Never put your guitar in its case unless you’re taking it somewhere

* Never walk by your guitar without picking it up and playing it. It’s all about muscle memory.

BTW, Bob Taylor says your guitar will sound better if you leave it out of its case and let it absorb the natural vibrations around it. That’s what I've done since Day One and I’ve yet to ever have it result in unintended dings in my guitars.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:14 AM

6L6, that’s a choice, and if it works for you, then more power to you. Personally I choose to keep most of my instruments in their cases most of the time, and always have. I do keep a couple of inexpensive guitars out on stands all the time, one in the living room and one in my music room, in case I’m seized by a passing musical thought, but whenever I get serious it takes me mere seconds to take out one of my professional level instruments. So to me having them in their cases isn’t any hindrance, real or imagined.

I find it’s easier to keep the instruments properly humidified when they’re stored their cases, and their strings seem to last me a lot longer, as well. Since I don’t care for the sound of coated strings, and I own a BUNCH of instruments - not just guitars but mandolins, banjos, mountain dulcimers and a couple of bass guitars, as well - that adds up.

It’s been years since my kids went ricocheting around the room like Speedy Gonzalez bouncing off the walls, but even before they were born I preferred to keep most of my instruments in their cases most of the time. I suspect I always will.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-18-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
What really matters is that they are secure however you store them. You don’t want them to get knocked over...especially if they are standing upright and the whiplash can snap the neck.

I keep mine in a solid case rack in a room with minimum foot traffic...
As do I...

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-18-2019 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

Neat, tidy.....and safe!

C54F830D-511B-476F-8519-FDEC65DF5171.jpg

87283449-5CB6-4230-B992-928C8FE62A5F.jpg

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 08-18-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:14 AM

Mine stay in cases, on their side, overnight and sit on stands during the day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion