The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Guest 33123

Default ahh the ambiance!

Hi guys,

Sometimes it really is not what you play but where you play it. Years and years ago I visited the Twelfth Fret in Toronto for the first time and played a very fine guitar in an alcove surrounded on all sides by about 40 fine acoustic guitars. I sounded great. My living room has high ceilings and hardwood floors and is open on one side to a two story foyer. I sound awesome in there no matter what I play. Sometimes I think the room is the forgotten variable in the acoustic guitar tonal equation. The right room can give your playing a real boost IMHO.

How much does the room you play in matter to you?

Last edited by Guest 33123; 08-17-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Huge difference!
This can be a big problem when demoing guitars at a guitar store. All of those guitars hanging on the wall, all of those wood walls or wood flooring, can make the guitars sound bigger. A room can add reverb - delay, and even bass to a guitar.
On the other side of the coin is the recording scenario. A live room can cause many problems in recording. I have heard many a recording engineer say "The room makes all the difference". One of our forum's great guitar players & extremely knowledgeable recording enthusiast, Doug Young, used a Flashlight to help demonstrate this. He said something like this.
+Shine a flashlight in broad daylight and you do not see the light very much. Shine that same flashlight at night with all the lights turned off, and you can see the flashlight and its effects significantly better.
If my guitar sounds good outdoors in a place where there is little to reflex off of, then I know I have a winner.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Planning a small renovation where I play mine. Anyone have a suggestion on what would be the optimal setup? Thinking just wooden floors and some Cedar paneling on the walls for aesthetic effect where I would be hanging some lesser expensive guitars I wouldn't worry about keeping out of the case all the time. Room only has a 10-foot ceiling and kneewalls on two sides. Room is about 14 ft wide by 20 feet long, sits above the garage.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:06 PM

I would add that just the live sound is it more important to me then some kind of recording treatment.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:16 PM

My living room is quite good, but the mudroom's dope.

After a hedsup phone call, I watch (at back door) for my wife to get home & parked, and see she gets in safely. My reward is significantly better tones.

I can't really judge audio gear, or guitars, until I get them home. Imo the room ambience makes a huge difference.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 08-17-2019, 04:08 PM

James Cordin did a "Carpool Karaoke" with Paul McCartney (a must-see by the way) and they visited the house Paul grew up in. He said he had not been back in the house since he left in his teens (??).

At one point they were both standing in a very small bathroom and Paul said it is where they used to practice because it sounded so good.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion