The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-18-2022, 09:42 PM

Question How to remove glued in tuner bushings?

Was going to put some locking tuners on my Alvarez MF60OM but seems like the bushings are glued in there. I've already butchered one trying to remove it all kinds of ways.

What's the best way to go about removing them?
Old 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM

DON'T try to pop them out from the back side like with a dowel that fits perfectly in that you hammer the bushing out.

Just don't consider it.

Find a tool like a screwdriver that has a shaft that just fits into the bushing from the top side. A little wiggle room is okay but a tight fit is best. Put the tool into the shaft and then just make spirals and back and forth wiggle wiggle wiggle till it eventually comes loose.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Find a tool like a screwdriver that has a shaft that just fits into the bushing from the top side. A little wiggle room is okay but a tight fit is best. Put the tool into the shaft and then just make spirals and back and forth wiggle wiggle wiggle till it eventually comes loose.
A T-handle tapered pipe reamer with sharp flutes has worked for me. The flutes bite into the ID of the bushing.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
DON'T try to pop them out from the back side like with a dowel that fits perfectly in that you hammer the bushing out.

Just don't consider it.

It does work!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-19-2022, 06:51 AM

Well, if they are glued in, some heat from a soldering iron will loosen the glue.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:54 AM

I actually tried the screwdriver wiggle trick. It didn't seem to work other than some very slight creaking noises. That sucker is really glued in there. Have a cheap harbor freight T handle reamer to try as well. The holes in the wood need to be enlarged maybe .5mm anyways for the new tuners.

Heard about the soldering trick but haven't tried that yet. I'm afraid of accidentally touching the wood with it. It's a cheap soldering station with a temp dial(works pretty good though). What temp would you set it to?

Edit: Turns out these bushings are some kind of cheap plastic. Soldering iron turned them into a mushy, gooey, stringy mess. The top part separated from the part inside the wood hole. Drilled and reamed the rest out. What a mess. Five more to go.

Last edited by M3TAl; 06-19-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:44 PM

Ewwww, I remember having some $4 tuners with plastic bushings once. They should be outlawed.

Guess just drill em out to the new size now. Make sure the bottom end of the hole is still the right size for the shaft. I much prefer installing the sealed gear style with one hole size to drill straight through and one screw to put in. Banjo pegs don't even have the screw.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Stew-Mac has a great tool for removing (non glued in) and pressing in new bushings, as well as the proper reamers so you get the correct press fit for your new bushings, and, of course, a selection of oversized bushings if your peg holes are now too large. I have that tool, which is sort of a modified Vice-Grip device, and it does work well.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair