The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-11-2018, 08:46 PM

Default High-powered handheld flashlights...

Just wondering if anyone here has any interest in these, or is a flashlight enthusiast. I remember first using a 500 lumen flashlight and was amazed, but didn't want to pay $200 for the privilege. Not too long after (maybe a couple years) I could buy a pack of 2 at Costco for $25. It was only a couple years ago that I bought a 2000 lumen flashlight at MicroCenter for under $50, which is pretty freakin' bright! What I didn't know was that there is another world of flashlights - sporting 9000, 12,000, 25,000, 32,000 and now 60,000 lumens, with over a 1000m throw! This is almost like a helicopter search and rescue light in the palm of your hand. Heat dissipation is always a problem, but newer flashlights are coming out with active cooling solutions.

I wonder what the limit would be. Right now it's only the form factor and current li-ion technology holding it back. But CREE makes an LED array about the size of a dime that can output 16,000 lumens with only 36V. I just purchased a couple of these, and some driver boards, to see if I can make an inexpensive floodlight system for my buddy's Jeep. We'll see....
Old 11-11-2018, 09:36 PM

They've really come way down in price. I'm always looking for good deals.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:09 AM

Gee Louie - I'm trying to picture you as Dr. Evil saying, "It's a l-a-s-e-r beam Mr. Powers..."
Old 11-12-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Gee Louie - I'm trying to picture you as Dr. Evil saying, "It's a l-a-s-e-r beam Mr. Powers..."
LOL I was into handheld lasers and got one in before they put a ban on shipping them into the US. Of course the ban wasn't for responsible guys like me who use it safely, but for idiots that point them at people and planes. And I have to be extra careful, as there are about 5-6 airports within a 50 mile radius here.

As to the flashlight, the one I just purchased is more of a flood than a long throw, but it's still rated to an over 300m throw, which is good enough for me. For the floodlight build, just hoping to find suitable reflectors for those CREE LEDs... They use them for indoor plants and they're super bright.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
LOL I was into handheld lasers and got one in before they put a ban on shipping them into the US. Of course the ban wasn't for responsible guys like me who use it safely, but for idiots that point them at people and planes. And I have to be extra careful, as there are about 5-6 airports within a 50 mile radius here.

As to the flashlight, the one I just purchased is more of a flood than a long throw, but it's still rated to an over 300m throw, which is good enough for me. For the floodlight build, just hoping to find suitable reflectors for those CREE LEDs... They use them for indoor plants and they're super bright.
What are you growing ?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
What are you growing ?
LOL.. not growing, but building a set of floodlights for my boy's Jeep....
Old 11-12-2018, 07:14 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Okay, I'll admit to being a flashlight geek. I've got them everywhere: bedside table, next to my favorite chair, tool kits, etc.. Fortunately my son has one of those jobs where he is always crawling in some dark tunnel or recess and checking someone else's work so he has become a flashlight geek par extraordinaire. I'll be over at his place and he'll say, "Hey, come here and check this out." It'll be a titanium cased flashlight or USB rechargeable pocket flashlight or something similar. If it gets a rise out of me I can always expect a new flashlight under the Christmas tree.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM

I’m in police work, and when I started out back in the late 60s, the “Kel-light” was pretty much the standard. Hefty all-aluminum construction, and though a simple incandescent bulb, a good light.

Then we went to the bigger (5-cell) “Mag Light”, which was often employed as a baton of sorts.... Seriously durable.

Now, many years down the pike, our department is issuing the “Streamlight” rechargeable models. These have a very bright high-intensity bulb and they work very well.

I’m surprised at some of the small, single AA-battery LED models available now. I got one from amazon for about 12 bucks and it works very well indeed.

Twice in my career, I’ve “stopped” fleeing suspects by shining one of those tactical flashlights in their eyes... They froze long enough for my pursuing colleagues to tackle them!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I’m in police work, and when I started out back in the late 60s, the “Kel-light” was pretty much the standard. Hefty all-aluminum construction, and though a simple incandescent bulb, a good light.

Then we went to the bigger (5-cell) “Mag Light”, which was often employed as a baton of sorts.... Seriously durable.

Now, many years down the pike, our department is issuing the “Streamlight” rechargeable models. These have a very bright high-intensity bulb and they work very well.

I’m surprised at some of the small, single AA-battery LED models available now. I got one from amazon for about 12 bucks and it works very well indeed.

Twice in my career, I’ve “stopped” fleeing suspects by shining one of those tactical flashlights in their eyes... They froze long enough for my pursuing colleagues to tackle them!
I've been doing more of my walks in the evening, and right now with the sun leaving so early, I usually walk with a flashlight. My neighborhood is relatively safe, though there are some areas not well illuminated. And yes, being able to stun a would-be assailant with some bright light would be a plus....
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Flashlights are like guitars, you get what you pay for. Streamlight, and other “top-tier” manufacturers, give great performance and lifetime warranties. Cheap flashlights are, well, cheap flashlights. Early T-time, gotta go.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 AM

At this point I use bike lights or a headlamp the most.

The quality of flashlights has dropped along with price. The bike lights are compact, powerful, sealed, and also have better color than many flashlights. Contrast that with the Bontrager and NiteRider I like for superb performance in wet, cold or heat. They have GoPro compatible mounts.

Another plus for the bike lights that can do double duty is beam pattern. It seems like the bike light people have done the most homework for using these things in action, for effective color, and for post-sale support.

I like Princeton Tec headlamps and especially after the experience of getting replacement parts. I've been really fond of the Sync model and think it might be replaced by a newer model.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 AM

I just buy whatever I can find that has the most amount of Lumens.

My best flashlight was a $3.00 flashlight from Walmart; go figure!

As for flashlight geeks:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ght-Discussion

Last edited by fingerguy; 11-12-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM

I'm a flashlight Nerd. I carry a Fenix PD20 in my pocket everyday. It's 180 lumens and not a lot bigger than a chapstick. For the house I have a Fenix TK75 and it's amazing! So bright and throws a light for 200 yards. I think it's around 3900 lumens. I live backed up to a golf course and we have coyotes at times so I always go out with my dogs at night to check out the area. My neighbors must think I'm nuts cause I light up the course. Rechargeable batteries last for months.

Mike

My Soundcloud Page

https://soundcloud.com/membler-1

'68 D18
Martin 00-28VS Maury's Music Custom
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Gold Tone AC-6 6 string banjo
Voyage Air VAOM-02
'52 RI Tele
Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by membler View Post
I'm a flashlight Nerd. I carry a Fenix PD20 in my pocket everyday. It's 180 lumens and not a lot bigger than a chapstick. For the house I have a Fenix TK75 and it's amazing! So bright and throws a light for 200 yards. I think it's around 3900 lumens. I live backed up to a golf course and we have coyotes at times so I always go out with my dogs at night to check out the area. My neighbors must think I'm nuts cause I light up the course. Rechargeable batteries last for months.

Mike
Fenix had recently upgraded the TK75, which now outputs 5100 lumens and has a throw of 850m!

I picked up a small flashlight from Harbor Freight that supposedly outputs 500 lumens in a package about the size of 2 C batteries. Not bad for a glovebox accessory. Was pretty inexpensive too, around $10.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Fenix had recently upgraded the TK75, which now outputs 5100 lumens and has a throw of 850m!

I picked up a small flashlight from Harbor Freight that supposedly outputs 500 lumens in a package about the size of 2 C batteries. Not bad for a glovebox accessory. Was pretty inexpensive too, around $10.
I saw that upgrade to the TK75 and can't even imagine how it could get any brighter than mine! They are incredible lights.

My Soundcloud Page

https://soundcloud.com/membler-1

'68 D18
Martin 00-28VS Maury's Music Custom
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Gold Tone AC-6 6 string banjo
Voyage Air VAOM-02