The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
For the money and value- my vote would be the Larrivee !
It's a true wonder to me how Larrivee can manage to build impeccably high-quality guitars in the US and charge significantly less money than the other high-production domestic companies: Taylor, Martin, and Gibson.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Larrivee and it isn’t even close. I still remember one particular D-03 dread I played at a store near Saratoga Springs NY a couple years back that would torch 90% of Martins I’ve played. I’m baffled why those guitars don’t command a higher price premium.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-10-2018, 12:53 PM

I've never played an Eastman,but have owned a Larrivee OM-50. I also own a Larrivee C-10 which of course is a totally different beast. I foolishly let the OM-50 get away from me and I still regret it after all these years.

I would have zero hesitation in ordering any Larrivee OM, regardless of model. There quality is second to none,and their customer service is the best in my experience.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Seems like a fairly overwhelming lean, doesn't it?

I've been curious/intrigued about Larrivee for awhile. Sounds like they're due for a day in court.

Follow-up question - who can/should I go to, to obtain one of their satin finish OMs? Which AGF sponsors are good POCs for Larrivee guitars? Looking for a solid, well balanced OM to add to the stable. Prefer Mahogany and Sitka.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 PM

I own one of each; Eastman AC512 and a Larrivee OM3 Wildwood Custom with Peruvian Walnut back and sides and Cedar top. They are both extraordinary guitars with more bass than some dreadnoughts have! Comfortable necks and very easy to play. If I had to decide between the two I would truly have a meltdown. I don't know which one I would pick. I can say I have played an Eastman E10OM that I didn't think was as nice. Not as loud and responsive as mine and the bass was thin. I would recommend one of the AC models if you go with Eastman. Really, though, you need to make an effort to play the guitar in person, or get it from a shop that allows a return within the trial period, like Elderly Instruments. When I shopped for the Larrivee there was a huge variation in sound between guitars, even ones with the same wood.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawshot1975 View Post
Seems like a fairly overwhelming lean, doesn't it?

I've been curious/intrigued about Larrivee for awhile. Sounds like they're due for a day in court.

Follow-up question - who can/should I go to, to obtain one of their satin finish OMs? Which AGF sponsors are good POCs for Larrivee guitars? Looking for a solid, well balanced OM to add to the stable. Prefer Mahogany and Sitka.

Call Jon at Shoreline (key word- “call”).
Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 PM

I'm a Larrivee guy, so easy choice for me.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Yep...Larrivee.....Had an L03. Sold it?? I would pay double for it back. Played Eastman....yes, they are fine guitars but not a Larrivee.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 PM

A few years ago I made a visit to Sylvan Music and spent a couple days playing lots of guitars. The owner spent time with me and tried to talk me into a Larrivee because I was a school teacher on a budget. He kept sayin: "You can not beat the quality of a Larrivee for the money." I, knowing better, bought a slope shouldered Eastman because it was so purty. I sold it a few months later, and still lament not having taken his advice. I have a feeling I will buy a Larrivee someday, but not another Eastman.
scott
Old 11-11-2018, 08:04 AM

I've owned an Eastman OM and I'm on my 2nd Larrivee L body, so not quite a direct OM comparison. The Eastman was an earlier E series OM so it had a very delicate finish, but the sound was wonderful. The string spacing is narrower than the 1 3/4 typical guitar, and that was my main complaint. The Larrivees I have had were better quality in terms of workmanship but it does take some getting used to the flatter, compound radius. They don't use a compound radius in newer made Larrivees anymore, so that will be moot if you get a newer guitar. Both are great guitars and I think Eastman has resolved their finish issues. I think you can't go wrong on either but they will likely have different tones.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM

Look for a used Huss and Dalton Road Series OM
You will not be disappointed
Gotta keep looking but one pops up every now and then
Should be comparable in price
NW
Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 AM

The Eastman E10 is one of the best OMs I have played to date. When you think of a $700 guitar, you think it can't be all that great. This guitar is fantastic. I don't like the small nut width, but they have other similar models that have a 1 3/4 inch nut width. I spent a lot of time with this guitar, and compared it to some Martins and Taylors. Hands down Eastman won.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I've only played one Larrivee, but I have three Eastman's. I would pick any Eastman over the Larrivee that I played.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM

I’ve owned both brands, and OMs in both. Like every dang discussion on this forum, it’s a matter of personal preference. Larrivee builds an impeccable guitar that boggles the mind for what you pay. Their tone is crazy consistent, and if you like a warm, balanced sound, they deliver. However, for me, the shallowness of their neck profile drives my left hand crazy. It’s just too dang thin.

Eastman can vary in tone and quality a bit more. Their past issues are well documented. I’ve owned 5, counting the One i just picked up, a budget level OM from them that blows me away. Their neck shape, a nice full C, is more akin to Martin MLO and Taylor’s neck. They are going for a more traditional look and tone, and most I’ve played have been really great guitars.

In the end, it’s going to depend, like everything else, on what you like and how you feel when you hold it in your hands. Whatever you decide, you’ll end up with a great instrument.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:27 PM

I'm not sure if the two brands are in the same ballpark. Here in Canada the main store chain long & McQuade stocks similar numbers of larrivee Martin gibson and Taylor and although as a group the Larrivee are priced the lowest I also tend to like them better in terms of playability and sound than the other three brands. I have very limited exposure to Eastman but people in town who have one like them and use them as their budget guitars that they don't worry about as much as the higher end ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion