The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Default Woolsey Fire

I’ve been a SoCal resident for decades....and then some. I’ve never seen anything like this fire. It has destroyed much of Newberry Park and Thousand Oaks. There is no count as to homes destroyed at this point but the current “mandatory evacuation” covers 4 or 5 major communities and hundreds of thousand of households. It’s raging northwest to Agoura Hills, due west through Calabasses, marching relentlessly towards Malibu and on the other side heading to the upper end of Simi Valley. The Santa Ana’s are not to die down until 1:00 this afternoon, but unfortunately the winds are to re-group and pick up again Saturday. The 101 freeway is completely shut down which is strangling Los Angeles traffic. (as if we needed more strangling) Here to fore the Santa Ana’s have been too much for water-drop aircraft to even attempt to fly and for those who have endured this before and know, fires this big create their own wind and weather patterns to complicate further.

For those that have never witnessed this type of event it’s a massive, massive tragedy equal in destruction to almost any of mother nature’s worst. So sad coming one day after a terrible shooting event. Sigh...

One positive out of this. The Los Angeles Fire Departments are the absolute finest, not only in the country, but the world. They are in short an elite fighting machine
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I just learned this morning that my oldest cousin, who lived in Paradise, lost everything he owned in the Camp Fire. The speed of wildfires is hard to believe. I've seen them for decades from the air and they always amaze me.

I have no doubt about your assessment of the LAFD. They do a remarkable job.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I just learned this morning that my oldest cousin, who lived in Paradise, lost everything he owned in the Camp Fire. The speed of wildfires is hard to believe. I've seen them for decades from the air and they always amaze me.

I have no doubt about your assessment of the LAFD. They do a remarkable job.
Sorry to hear 😔. The Paradise Fire is also a raging bull. Tough week for California...
Old 11-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, Joseph... he's safe with friends right now. Stay safe in SoCal... it's a beautiful, but sometimes dangerous, place to be.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

The Bay Area is choked with smoke from the Camp fire in Paradise. Sounds like the entire town is gone. Tragic.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

It’s 75,000 houses. For now. That is major.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-09-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Removed quoted post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 PM

I am so glad I left there decades ago. Just another day in paradise, unfortunately.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM

so far, so good, but i'm in between a fire on the east of me and a fire on the west. santa rosa/camarillo to the west, thousand oaks to the south and agoura/oak park to the east. the winds are ferocious but blowing in the right way for me.

terrible couple of days for ventura county. senseless killings and monster fires!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Having just gone through a mandatory fire evac. in September and narrowly escaping having our property burned. I can tell you it is nerve racking experience.
We were lucky the authorities made the highway (that my property fronts on) the line in the sand and were able to successfully stop the fire from jumping the highway.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM

Heard about it, I know electric guitar building legend Wayne Charvel lives and has his shop around there... I wish all there my best and hope that they at least have their lives. Godspeed...
Old 11-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Having just gone through a mandatory fire evac. in September and narrowly escaping having our property burned. I can tell you it is nerve racking experience.
We were lucky the authorities made the highway (that my property fronts on) the line in the sand and were able to successfully stop the fire from jumping the highway.
It’s just a terrible week here and you’re right my nerves are shot.

I got a call from my younger sister this morning (she lives in Newbury Park) and said the National Guard woke her, her husband and her kids at 3:00 am last night. Evacuated. She’s pretty sure they lost the house. We’re waiting until she gets the all clear to know for sure. I have a good friend whose daughter was at the mass shooting the other night. Thank gawd she’s unharmed (at least physically) but my friend is unable to get sentences out without breaking down in tears. He’s having a breakdown and I don’t blame him.

Here is a quick iPhone vid of the fires which (at least as of 2:30 this afternoon) stretches from North Thousand Oaks all the way to Malibu.

https://vimeo.com/299983211

I dunno how many miles this covers but since my feet are being held to the fire (no pun intended) for absolute accuracy I ain’t gonna risk being publicly set straight again. Suffice to say “many miles” of an intense fire.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:25 PM

Sympathies to all affected by the fires. I used to live in Petaluma (NorCal) and many of the buildings that I helped to design in Santa Rosa are now gone after last summer's fire. A good friend lost his home to the ferocious Oakland hillside fire about 20 years ago. Most summers in Alaska, there are literally millions of acres of wild fires burning. Fortunately most of those areas are largely uninhabited.

I once did a little wild land firefighting many years ago in the UP of Michigan to protect our camp, and wild fires are truly terrifying things. Kudos to the emergency responders.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

These fires increased to dangerous levels so quickly. My thoughts are with the displaced families, pets and wildlife in these areas, and to the firefighters and first responders, who are working relentlessly to battle these fires.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:02 PM

California used to do controlled burns to prevent, or at least, minimize, these things from getting out of control. Why did they stop doing so? I don't want to hear the obvious: MONEY. I am surprised the insurance industry has not stepped in to ensure this type of thing doesn't occur. They certainly have the MONEY.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
California used to do controlled burns to prevent, or at least, minimize, these things from getting out of control. Why did they stop doing so? I don't want to hear the obvious: MONEY. I am surprised the insurance industry has not stepped in to ensure this type of thing doesn't occur. They certainly have the MONEY.
Controlled burns would tend to minimize the effects of some of these fires, and that would be a good thing.

Money is but one reason, the lack of money for fire-fighting crews that is. As public funding issues get into politics, we can't address it in detail here, but suffice it to say that the drop in revenue is involved.

The other issues involve air quality and public health, the number of structures now spreading into the forests which weren't there before, and the scale of the forests which would require near constant burns.

It's a complex issue with real challenges not generally captured by simplistic solutions and sound bites.

But those are general comments. Specific to the Paradise fire, you can't really do a controlled burn in a town of 27,000.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic