The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 09:01 PM

Default I think I may have been “bait and switched” today.

I was looking over the local BST today
And inquired via FB messenger about an archtop that was listed at $175.
He said he had someone else interested but if I was ready to buy now I could have it for $300.
After my asking how he came to that number when he had it listed at $175, he said that since someone else was interested he was going for the “auction” approach.
I said I could do $175 and I was struggling to do that.
I blessed him to sell it to the higher bidder.

He thanked me for my time and interest and said he’d get back to me if the other guy flaked.

An hour or so goes by and he asks if I can meet him half way at $200.

Is it common practice to bargain down, or price low then ask for near twice the posted price?
I usually ask high in hopes of getting what I want.

I told him that I had to consult with SWMBO.
I’ve not heard back.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 PM

I think you're well shut of the guy. I wouldn't do business with him at all, ever, after his little switcheroo. He's a sneak, which usually indicates a thief, as well.

I'm not saying this guy is trying to peddle stolen merchandise: maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I don't have any evidence either way. But at the very least he's proven that he's an opportunist above all, which usually indicates that a person is basically unprincipled, and thus not to be trusted.

I would walk away and not look back.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
He said he had someone else interested but if I was ready to buy now I could have it for $300.
After my asking how he came to that number when he had it listed at $175, he said that since someone else was interested he was going for the “auction” approach.

He thanked me for my time and interest and said he’d get back to me if the other guy flaked.

Is it common practice to bargain down, or price low then ask for near twice the posted price?

I’ve not heard back.
Nope. I think your instinct is right - a weird bait and switch situation.

I've seen situations where someone lists something low, gets a lot of interest, then pulls the ad and relists it higher. I can respect that. But listing at a price only to try to raise you higher? Yikes....
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

Last edited by stevecuss; 11-06-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

unless it was my dream guitar I would respond "my new offer is $100"

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I think you're well shut of the guy. I wouldn't do business with him at all, ever, after his little switcheroo. He's a sneak, which usually indicates a thief, as well.

I'm not saying this guy is trying to peddle stolen merchandise: maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I don't have any evidence either way. But at the very least he's proven that he's an opportunist above all, which usually indicates that a person is basically unprincipled, and thus not to be trusted.

I would walk away and not look back.

Wade Hampton Miller
I’m not doing anything with him.
I may “poke the bear” and say SWMBO said I could go $150 due to the missing tuner button, and she isn’t happy about that.
But my better nature says that there are quite a few nicer archtops for that $300.
And I really don’t NEED another guitar.
I’m just “archtop curious”.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 PM

avoid avoid avoid avoid
Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 PM

I mean, if I put something up at a price, I honor that price, right?

What kind of person does other than that?

A person you don't want to deal with.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post

I’ve not heard back.
No. That's not how it works. If more than one person is interested, the first one to knock on your door with cash in hand (or other agreed-upon method) for the listed price gets the guitar.

Of course in a private sale I guess sellers can make up their own rules. In which case buyers can take their money & go home.

One last thing - suppose you gave the guy the $200 & when you got the guitar home you found something wrong with it: how much luck do you think you'd have getting a refund or any other recompense from him?

Last edited by frankmcr; 11-06-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:26 PM

Yeah, the guy is bad news. Be glad you found that out before he got any of your money.

whm
Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 PM

I bought an almost-new Fishman Loudbox Mini amp that was advertised on Craigslist, for about $100.00 under street price. After emailing back and forth, I agreed to pay the full asking price. I had to drive about 45 minutes, each way, to meet the guy. When I met him at a branch of my bank, he said he had lots of interest in the amp and someone else had offered him $40.00 more than our agreed price. He "proved" it by showing me a text message of the $40.00 higher offer. He said if I gave him $30.00 more I could have it. Well, I certainly felt that this was a con job and after a bit of uncomfortable discussion and him saying that he was sorry, but, he was going to sell it for the other offer of $40.00 more, I ended up giving him $30.00 more. It was still a good deal, being $70.00 under street price and with no taxes, and I really wanted the amp.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I bought an almost-new Fishman Loudbox Mini amp that was advertised on Craigslist, for about $100.00 under street price. After emailing back and forth, I agreed to pay the full asking price. I had to drive about 45 minutes, each way, to meet the guy. When I met him at a branch of my bank, he said he had lots of interest in the amp and someone else had offered him $40.00 more than our agreed price. He "proved" it by showing me a text message of the $40.00 higher offer. He said if I gave him $30.00 more I could have it. Well, I certainly felt that this was a con job and after a bit of uncomfortable discussion and him saying that he was sorry, but, he was going to sell it for the other offer of $40.00 more, I ended up giving him $30.00 more. It was still a good deal, being $70.00 under street price and with no taxes, and I really wanted the amp.
That would have pissed me off enough to tell the guy he could put that amp where the sun doesnt shine ! Did he know you had to make that drive?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 AM

George, you chose to let that guy squeeze more money out of you. He could have had a friend send him that text, or send it to himself from another phone.

What I would have said was: "I am here, right now, and you have a guaranteed sale at the price we agreed upon. This guy who sent you the text may or may not come through with the extra $40. So you can choose this: the price we agreed on, or the price you hope to get from this guy who might not show up. Which will it be - the bird in the hand or two in the bush?"

Yeah, it might have been a good price even with the extra $30 tacked on, George, but you let the guy play you. If he had blustered at me when I offered him the choice I just lined out, I would have walked out the door. Yes, it would have been a long drive for no results, but life is full of long drives with uncertain outcomes.

whm
Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 AM

Yes he could have turned around, driven the 45 home, sulked a bit and then still paid more. He chose instead to do what was okay to him at the time. Adult decision that he didn’t let emotion control.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 AM

I had a guitar for sale for around 900, and was negotiating with a guy who finally offered me 700, based on a picture of a text from a friend of his saying: "That guitar is worth about 700 bucks"

Needless to say, that didn't sway me...haha
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
unless it was my dream guitar I would respond "my new offer is $100"
This ^^^^^. Honestly, just walk away. Got no use for liars.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion