The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default NMD ADK Z-MOD 251 Good news Bad news

Good News
Well I finally got my new studio mic. For Vocals and instruments.
It is new ADK Z-Mod 251 LDC tube mic. ( even though I still have not sold my Brauner Phantom V ) which I may now keep if does not sell pretty soon as it is also an outstanding FET LDC, which would nicely round out my mic locker, to two LDC's , one Tube one FET, and pair of AEA N-22 Ribbon mics.

Bad News
We are under contract to sell or place in Colorado where my attic studio was and our new place in Wyoming does not have a good room for a studio.
So I will either have to convert the attached double car garage or build a dedicated small studio on the property. So no recording with the ADK for a good while .

Here are some photos:

Flight case for everything ,

Mic in wood box, excellent metal windscreen, power and mic cables , power supply, spare tube and shock mount ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-04-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:58 PM

The Z Mod 251 get's GREAT reviews, congrats I love 251 style mics! It took me a while to get into a 251 style mic and when I finally did, I LOVED it on vocals (Lawson L251), especially when stacking harmonies.

I hope you get your new house and studio settled fast so you get to use it soon. Until then, you can find a the best sounding room in your new house and make do!
Old 11-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The Z Mod 251 get's GREAT reviews, congrats I love 251 style mics! It took me a while to get into a 251 style mic and when I finally did, I LOVED it on vocals (Lawson L251), especially when stacking harmonies.

I hope you get your new house and studio settled fast so you get to use it soon. Until then, you can find a the best sounding room in your new house and make do!
Thanks yes when the rest of my studio gear comes up here (in one of the next two anticipated trailer loads left to move ) I will probably try to set something up but that depends on my wife having pity on me
I have had a chance to sing into a Lawson 47 (also very nice) but not the 251 capsule

While probably not as well known to the general pro sumer public as the Classic Neumann 47 and 67 mics The history of the ELAM 251 mic is kind of interesting. A combined effort between Telefunken and AKG based on a modified version of AKG's C 12 another classic in its own right.

Back story of the ELAM 251 here on Vintage King's website ...

https://vintageking.com/telefunken-ela-m-250-251-microphone

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-04-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thanks yes when the rest of my studio gear comes up here (in one of the next two anticipated trailer loads left to move ) I will probably try to set something up but that depends on my wife having pity on me
I have had a chance to sing into a Lawson 47 (also very nice) but not the 251 capsule

While probably not as well known to the general pro sumer public as the Classic Neumann 47 and 67 mics The history of the ELAM 251 mic is kind of interesting. A combined effort between Telefunken and AKG based on a modified version of AKG's C 12 another classic in its own right.

Back story of the ELAM 251 here on Vintage King's website ...

https://vintageking.com/telefunken-ela-m-250-251-microphone
The Lawson 251 IMHO is Lawson's work of art, and I definitely prefer it over his L47, which is a fine mic in it's own right.

I saw that link on Vintage King's website and it was very informative! I also saw these wonderful photos of two of the nicest ELAM 251 mics on the planet...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35462885@N03/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD