The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Totall Recall - anyone here have it?

Y'know how it is, you are watching something on YouTube then some other totally unrelated video follows. I discovered this video like that.

These people can remember everything they experienced.

Anybody here have total recall?

Although I can remember watching the funeral of King George VI on 15th Feb 1952, ad my 4th Birthday on 11th March that year (I got a blue tricycle and remember riding it repeatedly around our block).

I remember the coronation of the Queen on 2nd June 1953 (but everyone remembers that) mainly because of the country wide celebration and street parties. (I was wearing a cowboy suit and tripped over my gunbelt and cried!)

Now, I have difficulty remembering when I ate last, let alone what I ate. I look in the mirror to remind myself what I'm wearing.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Hey SM... I'm probably not the only one on this forum that suffers from CRS (Can't Remember ummm Stuff).

I'm always amazed at those folks who remember every little detail, the date it happened, etc. That may be more of a curse than a blessing in some instances.

I do remember a few things when I was about 5, but really nothing earlier... and, I get more forgetful every day.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:27 PM

I umm, what were we talking about?
~Bob
Old 11-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I remember many things but can't recall everything. I can tell you where I was when I heard that John F. Kennedy was assassinated and can picture the scene in my mind's eye. I remember an entire weekend of coverage of Winston Churchill's funeral and remember one hymn sung at the funeral, Our God Our Help in Ages Past, so vividly that it has become one of my favorites despite in not being all that popular in the States. I can fully recall the scene when I asked my wife to marry me. I can recall the decor of the tiny and ancient restaurant way up in the Wachung Mountains of New Jersey where our rehearsal dinner was and I was only there once. I can described the layout and physical orientation of every Appalachian Trail shelter I ever visited. When I visit a stage I played on I can point out to you where I was set up. I can recall and play lead guitar parts I created for songs in 1977, forty-one years ago. When I was a child I would go to the musical theater with my parents and could sing all the songs from the production to my parents on the way home in the car. For some reason that wasn't consider prodigious in any way in my family, probably because my father had an IQ of 160 and the memory of an elephant.

Interestingly, I can't remember people's names to save my life. I've tried all the tricks and find that while I can see their face in my mind's eye and can often describe them well enough for someone to call up the name, I have real difficulties with names.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-02-2018, 02:38 PM

I have to press the panic button on my car’s remote so the horn will start sounding and I can hear then see where I parked my car on the lot.

So no, I do not have total recall!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
... Although I can remember watching the funeral of King George VI on 15th Feb 1952, ad my 4th Birthday on 11th March that year (I got a blue tricycle and remember riding it repeatedly around our block). ....
My first memory was when I was 2 years old. I was in a car accident and I remember the drive with my dad in the car beforehand. I remember sitting in the back of our green station wagon, taking the fish tank to get a leak fixed. I remember lying in the white hospital bed.

That was a big (not bad) event that created a solid memory. I remember some things with incredible clarity. And certain obscure details.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-02-2018, 03:17 PM

I have CRS. I write myself notes, send my home email address messages, and other mnemonic tricks. I still forget (stuff).

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

My wife does …. dang it!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-02-2018, 04:53 PM

I'm pretty certain I have total recall....somewhere, if I can just remember where I put it!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:03 PM

I remember staying with relatives while my mother had a baby.
I came home and we had our very first ... television.
"Do you want to see your new sister?"
"Not really."

That sister turns 60 next year.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM

It's not a tumor...

Seriously, I don't think I possess perfect total recall, though many I know have commented on my uncanny recollection of even the most trivial events and detais regarding a specific time or place. Possibly because I notice everything almost to a fault - down to the way a person breathes. I may not remember a person's name off hand, but I could remember and even mimic his idiosyncracies.

Some of the more tragic or saddest or happiest events in my life, however, I can recall almost to the second, as if I was a third person watching it unfold. Many times to the point of reliving the pain, tears, or joy as if it just happened. It is both curse and blessing, but maybe a way I hold on to those moments.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:45 PM

No total recall, but I do find that as I age (61yrs) I seem to be able to reach back further in my youth in remembrances. Pre school ages, at home with mother. It's wonderful to be able to feel the love, this many years later.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I have never had a very good memory. When I was in grade school, we had to memorize poems and famous speeches and recite them to the class. I could never get through any of these very well. However, I have always been very good at doing research and writing papers, so I did well in college.

Since this is a guitar group...

I have never been good at memorizing a fingerstyle piece that somebody else invented or arranged. However, I have always done well at building a musical vocabulary and using that to improvise and do my own arranging. As long as I don't have to play a tune the same way every time, I seem to do OK with that.

It seems to me that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. The important things is for each of us to recognize our own and then capitalize on those. It does me no good to try to memorize some piece of music and then be expected to regurgitate it in a performance. But I can be original, either in my presentation of music somebody else invented or in my own. Somebody else may do quite well playing what somebody else played or wrote first, note for note in performance. Either way gets the music out.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Yes both versions , the original with Arnold Schwarzenegger and the remake with Colin Farrell..... Oh wait what was the original OP actually about ?????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 PM

Yes, I have it..............................somewhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic