The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Default new Cordoba

hi; I think I may have posted before, but I'm still looking. I would like to buy a Cordoba classical guitar but don't know which model. I need a wide nut [but not over 2"] I need to plug in too.and a cutaway. I don't know the difference between these guitars! been a fingerstyle player for 50 years, so not a beginner. I think Rosewood seems to suit my ears just fine but not opposed to other woods, not A PRIORITY. THANKS
Old 10-30-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi; I think I may have posted before, but I'm still looking. I would like to buy a Cordoba classical guitar but don't know which model. I need a wide nut [but not over 2"] I need to plug in too.and a cutaway. I don't know the difference between these guitars! been a fingerstyle player for 50 years, so not a beginner. I think Rosewood seems to suit my ears just fine but not opposed to other woods, not A PRIORITY. THANKS
How about the GK studio or GK pro? They have 50mm nuts (slightly less than the full 52mm nuts), cutaway, pickup. Also, a choice of a Blanca or a Negra (back and sides woods).

These are flamenco guitars, so a lower action and quicker attack.

If it has to be a classical, look at the C7-CE or C5-CE.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-30-2018, 11:40 PM

Hi Eye,

You might want to consider an Orchestra / Fusion 12 or 14 CE. 1 7/8" nut. Has electronics. Comes with a gig bag but I would recommend a hard case - you may be able to exchange the bag for a Humicase, which also extends the warranty : call Cordoba and see if they still have this option. 12 frets have a little fuller tone, but if your used to 14 they have that too.

I wouldn't recommend a GK unless you are specifically looking to play Flamenco because their tone is a bit dry: good for Flamenco but not so good for other styles. GKs are, however, very easy to play with their flat, wide fretboard, and low action (and a little bit of buzz).

I own both. I love them both. Cordoba makes great guitars. I can't see how you can go wrong with a Fusion/Orchestra. You can pick them up used for ~$500, an incredible value. Just do it - you'll love it.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:38 AM

Well, I readily admit that I am a Cordoba fan boy.... I own a GK Pro Negra (solid rosewood sides and back with spruce top) as well as a Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar (laminate rosewood sides and back with solid Cedar top)

While it does have some inherent flamenco string snap to it, it's definitely not limited to flamenco. The GK is capable of playing any style of music, I play Beatles, Jazz and a variety of genre on it.

The Orchestra has a much mellower tone due to the Cedar top

I quite frequently switch back and forth between them depending my mood.

Both guitars are an excellent choice...
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 AM

I forgot to add..

For me, I consider 1 7/8" the absolute minimum nut width for a nylon string - due to the reduced tension and wider strings. If you have fatter fingers than I do, it may not work for you. Be sure to play one first.

Cordoba has a lot of styles/features, I would call them if I were you. They will be able to tell you what they sell in the style/features you specifically are looking for. Their customer support (phone) is very helpful.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:18 PM

I have a Cordoba C5ce,Records Perfect and the electronics are Great!. Love it!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical