The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 AM

Default Zoom H2N

Hi, I have a Zoom H2n recorder but find it difficult to record practice sessions.I just find the whole thing difficult to understand how to use. Are there any other easier ways to record oneself practicing? Thanks
Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 AM

Maybe an iPhone.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider57 View Post
Hi, I have a Zoom H2n recorder but find it difficult to record practice sessions.I just find the whole thing difficult to understand how to use. Are there any other easier ways to record oneself practicing? Thanks
Hi hdrider

You have not told us your placement of said recorder, how far you are from the guitar, where you are aiming it, if you are singing and playing or just playing, the mic pattern the H2n is set to, and how you are setting you levels etc.

I mount my H2n on a tripod and face it toward me level with the neck/body joint, aimed at the joint about 18-24" away. It's on the X/Y pattern, and I set the mic volume so the meter in record mode to never goes hotter than -12 (to avoid distortion). I do attempt to get it in that range when playing solidly.

I monitor the files later on the computer and a small Bose computer speaker outfit (or on my Senheisser headphones). I load the files straight from the SD card into a simple mp3 editing program. There are plenty of free or inexpensive apps which allow you to playback your unedited files. I never monitor directly from the recorder, but a decent set of earbuds would give you an idea of how you are doing.

It's a straight-forward, and simple process. Takes under a minute to set it up. I hit record and just turn it loose for practice sessions. If I'm recording two of us, I back it off 3-4 feet, on the tripod and X/Y pattern aimed between us - guitar neck high if we are instrumental, and chest level if we are playing and singing.

Only thing simpler would be a completely point-n-shoot recording rig (which I don't recall seeing lately).

I get great recordings.

Which parts do you find are perplexing you?

Hope the explanation of how I set mine up at least gives you ideas how simply and quickly it can be setup.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out. But still not sure what you mean by "setting levels".
Where are the days when you just pop a cassette into a recorder and press record?
Old 10-25-2018, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out. But still not sure what you mean by "setting levels".
Where are the days when you just pop a cassette into a recorder and press record?
Even with a cassette, you had to adjust levels . What problem are you having with using it? It's pretty much "hit the record button and start playing". All Larry's tips are aimed at helping you get a good recording, but not necessary to get *something* (better than an old cassette recorder)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

hrider,

You've gotten good advice from the pros--so here is how an amateur does it

Adjust the input levels on the side of the zoom to your liking while warming up. Hit the record button and play. If you don't like the sound you are getting download it to your computer in a free DAW like Audacity and you can adjust it there.

For practicing-- if you have a smart phone that is almost as good. I will use voice memos or the video camera on my iphone and then play back through an Amazon echo or headphones. That is about a simple as I know how to do it. You can improve the quality of the recording in settings if you have an iphone.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
HI hd

On the right side (with the screen facing you) there is a Large Labeled input-volume MIC/GAIN wheel (labeled in red). It adjusts the level of how loud you are recording. It should be set to around -12 when you are playing at your loudest. There is an internal menu system, where you could set the unit to AUTO Record - but it's not as simple as hitting the Record button and playing.

It sounds like simple operation is what you want more than good sound. In that case, the memo app in a smart-phone would be fine for what you want.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 10-26-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Get off my lawn kid

A Zoom is pretty easy to record with, the playback can be the hurdle if you aren't used to using PC usb connections. I've never even bothered to learn the internal playback with my Zoom H5 (with headphones) as its just as easy to hook up to my pc and import/listen with my one of my DAWs.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 PM

The H2n is a fabulous little machine which can surprise you as a recorder. The advice is right - record on it but process the files on a PC! Don’t try and make the internal FX work!
Martin J40
Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all your advice. I like the idea of play back on the computer but what is a daw ?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your advice. I like the idea of play back on the computer but what is a daw ?
"Digital Audio Workstation", fancy word for any computer-based recording software.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanks, any advice as to which DAW?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, any advice as to which DAW?
Audacity is free, and fairly user friendly for someone new to the process like me. I'm sure there are other better choices, but it works ok for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD