The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Unknown Bach Piece - Help ID!

A friend taught me this:

|------------2--|-3-------2----|-7-----5h8p5-|-7----------|------------2--|-3-------2----|-------------|-----------|
|-4-------5-----|-5---------5--|-7-----------|-8----------|-4-------5-----|-5---------5--|-2s4-----2-4-|-5---------|
|-4-------------|-4------------|-------------|-9----------|-4-------------|-4------------|-------------|-4---------|
|---------------|--------------|-------------|------------|---------------|--------------|-2s4---------|-5---------|
|-2-------------|--------------|-5-----------|------------|-2-------------|--------------|-------------|-----------|
|---------------|--------------|-------------|------------|---------------|--------------|-------------|-----------|

Key: E Minor (so sometimes I'll add in the open low E under the final chord)
Meter: 3/4 (the rhythm is mostly 1, 2+, and 3)
Tempo: Andante

He studied classical guitar pretty seriously when he was younger and is still quite good, but he does not remember what piece this is or who composed it. To my ears, it sounds like Bach. I'd like to learn the rest of it but I can't do that unless I know what it is! Does anyone recognize this?

Last edited by Erithon; 10-27-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:39 PM

I'd love to know, too. Sounds like a pretty little piece.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

It sure is! And I'd love to know what comes next.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:12 PM

Sounds familiar but I can't place it. Not 100% sure it's Bach, perhaps some other baroque period composer. I'll keep thinking.....
Old 10-31-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I don't play much directly from TAB, but when I tried it the first half reminded me of "Waves of the Danube" by Jovan Ivanovic.

Less pretentiously, it reminded me of "The Anniversary Song", originally recorded by Al Jolsen and covered by lots of others. You might recall the first line as "Oh, how we danced on the night we were wed". When I googled that, Wikipedia claimed it was by Ivanovic.

Second half of what you provided doesn't sound the same as written in your note, but fits the same waltz flavor and tone and might be a variation on the theme that occurs later in the orchestral piece.. Anyway, if you are looking for something similar, I bet you could get The Anniversary Song pretty quickly.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
I don't play much directly from TAB
Sorry about that: I have no idea how to type standard musical notation into the AGF textbox.

I took a listen to both of those, but this is definitely not that Melody and harmony differences aside, the rhythm's don't match: in Ivanović it's 1---3+ but in my piece its 1--+3- (the hyphens are sustains of the previous note). Thank you, though!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical